Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Hang Around
Angry My Sportster is leaking gas from the carb!

Hey everyone, I just picked this bike up a couple weeks ago and I noticed a problem. It's a 2000 XL 1200 Sport. It has gas leaking out of the accelerator pump rod area. It leaks a good bit because I have gas sprayed on my pipes after I'm done riding and it puddles up when I'm not riding sometimes. Maybe it is when the float bowl is full? Is there a way to fix this? I seen this system and was wondering if it would solve the problem? http://www.boyesen.com/twinshot-vtwin#q3 Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 PM

Either way, it's time for you to pull that carb off and inspect it. Replace worn out parts, rebuild it if necessary. Apply redneck engineering when necessary

There should be some carb cleaning/rebuild walk-through's on this forum somewhere. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe a torn accelerator pump diaphragm, that would explain the leak of gas to where it should not be.

John
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Extreme HDF Member

Definitely recommend a carb re-build...not a bad little project. Get the kit, remove from bike, spread out on table/workbench & get busy...
-05 XL1200C - *SOLD* (2009)
USAF, Retired (MSgt)...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Hang Around

I was going to pull the bottom of the carb off but those pesky brass screws are easy to trip!! Looks like I'm going to work on this when I have more time on my hands. I figured buying an older bike was going to mean it would need some work but I didn't think it was going to be this much. It's still worth it in the end though!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Hang in there Tex, motorcycle carbs are all pretty much the same, and pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble. You can do the accelerator pump without taking the bowl off.

What brass screws are you talking about?

The jets and idle mixture are brass, float bowl and accelerator pump screws are steel as well as cable mount screws and topcover. Never had a problem with stripping anything on a carb, myself.

Just be careful with the vacuum chamber diaphragm.

You can do it!!!!

John

Last edited by John Harper; 05-10-2012 at 08:31 PM..
Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Duckslayer, try looking at your accel pump diaphram first. It's easy to get to and if it is defective, it's a quick easy cheap fix. Really, try this first.
Every time that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Hang Around

I just ordered a carb rebuild kit which will get here in a couple days. John, the float bowl and accelerator pump screws are brass on my bike. Not sure why, maybe it's because it's an older bike? They seem real tight and I know I stripped the head off the one. I'll just take them out and replace them with some steel screws. I got the basic mechanical know how so all of this won't be much of a challenge. I did just get my carb rejetted by a guy since I wanted him to dyno tune it while he installed the jet kit. Getting the bike running close to perfect wasn't my skill level.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Interesting, my bike is a bit older (1991) and has the common steel screws, someone probably changed them out. Put a drop of WD40 or similar and let them sit for a while or longer, then try them.

Harley owners love to customize, I've swapped a lot of the crappy stock bolts for allenhead or buttonhead stainless, maybe the guy before liked the brass look.

BTW, If you had it rejetted, the float bowl was recently taken off, so maybe the mechanic who did the rejet should have checked the accelerator pump too, and mentioned the brass screws.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 05-10-2012 at 09:20 PM..
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Hang Around

Yea I don't know if he swapped them but I don't like it at all. The one screw that I stripped the head seems like the threads are stripped too. I guess I will have to drill and tap that one, if thats the right way to do it? Eventually I would like a replace a good many of the screws that have rusted heads.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 PM

P

Tags
2000, bike, carb, carburetor, cover, davidson, gas, harley, kit, leaking, problems, rebuild, sportster, stage, top