Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead sporty.....need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
What an utter nonsense. Ever heard of Ohm's Law? Current (measured in A) depends on resistance (circuits on your bike), not on source (truck or whatever). Sporty can take 14.8 V no problem. The current generated by this voltage will be just normal.
Yea, I know all about Ohm's law and quite a bit more electrically, I'm an electrical engineer.

But go ahead, jump your bike with it's little dead battery with a 100+ amp source. No skin off my back.

BTW, you do know that the regulator in the Sporty sinks to ground, right?

Oh, and that dead battery on the bike, it's a BIG low resistance catch can. That's why when you throw a variable current (AMP) charger on a dead battery, it pegs the Amp meter on the charger.

Last edited by cHarley; 05-13-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Yea, I know all about Ohm's law and quite a bit more electrically, I'm an electrical engineer.

But go ahead, jump your bike with it's little dead battery with a 100+ amp source. No skin off my back.

BTW, you do know that the regulator in the Sporty sinks to ground, right?

What a coincidence, I'm an electronics engineer. Didn't know electrical engineers are so far behind. What are you trying to challenge here. What I wrote is not my knowledge, it's the knowledge of mankind.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see more than one person missed a few classes in the high school.
Why don't you do a little test.
Take a 12 V, 60 W light bulb and connect it to a running truck - so called 100 A source. Take a note of current generated by light bulb. It will be just over 4 A.
Now take the same bulb and connect it to your running Sporty - so called 30 A source. Compare amperage readings, they will be practically same.
Because current is determined by bulb, not source.
There can be a small difference if the charging systems are not producing exactly same voltage. This is determined by Ohm's Law.
A little more education:
Metric system units that are named after a scientist are uppercase.
V - volt - named after Alessandro Volta
A - amper - named after André-Marie Ampère
Lowercase v denotes speed in formulas, in case if you are interested.

A 0.54 Amp (60 watt) lightbulb in your house does not blow up because it is fed by a 20 Amp circuit breaker. The lamp is "pulling" power, it's not the breaker that is pushing in the bulb.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Oh, and that dead battery on the bike, it's a BIG low resistance catch can. That's why when you throw a variable current (AMP) charger on a dead battery, it pegs the Amp meter on the charger.

Yes, and since all electrical loads are connected in parallel, in this case the dead battery is a load, too, the current generated by dead battery affects only the battery itself - it does not mean any other load on bike (ECM, fuel pump, etc) will get higher current than usual.
I understand electrical engineers may have hard time understanding this, but hopefully other people will benefit from my postings.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain

A 0.54 Amp (60 watt) lightbulb in your house does not blow up because it is fed by a 20 Amp circuit breaker. The lamp is "pulling" power, it's not the breaker that is pushing in the bulb.
Ohm's Law, again. Breaker is a passive element, it does not affect the current. 60 W 12 V lightbulb will draw over 4 A. 0.54 A current is determined by resistance of filament, which is much higher for a 120 V source.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,876 Likes on 8,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain

Thats ac, my sickle runs dc..................

Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, and since all electrical loads are connected in parallel, in this case the dead battery is a load, too, the current generated by dead battery affects only the battery itself - it does not mean any other load on bike (ECM, fuel pump, etc) will get higher current than usual.
I understand electrical engineers may have hard time understanding this, but hopefully other people will benefit from my postings.
What I said in my original post was "Jumping a bike from a running cage can cause some serious damage". I said nothing about the ECM, fuel pump, or anything else.

I guess you've never seen a little (12 amp-hour) dead battery explode when it's hit with 100+ amps.

And while we're at it, you said;
"Lowercase v denotes speed in formulas, in case if you are interested."
No, it stands for velocity, speed and velocity are not the same thing.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:38 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

popcorn anoyone?

Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

And while we're at it, you said;
"Lowercase v denotes speed in formulas, in case if you are interested."
No, it stands for velocity, speed and velocity are not the same thing.
Alright, you've got me here. I didn't double-check terms, and since English is fifth language for me I got this one wrong.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
popcorn anoyone?

Thanks........And I'll just point out that this '00 sporty in the discussion doesn't have an ECM.

Quick Reply: Dead sporty.....need some advice