Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine guards on Sportsters

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't even begun researching options such as size, shape or $$. But I think I like smaller mustache ones that follow the lines of my bike and still allows me room to mount the adjustable pegs...

Thanks for the pics...

Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Raider Dana
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them, and they saved my bike when I laid it down.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 131tman

I have this same gaurd on my bike, was on the bike when I got it. I took it off last fall and then put it right back on as the bikes looked odd without it. Plus is adds to all my chrome.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 289 Posts

I have the black OEM bars for years on my Nightster.

Bike is still thin enough for lane sharing.

Only pros.
If there is a con...some do not like the look.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

2 weeks ago I got a chrome one from ebay for $89.90 new. But I can't get the screws off the bike frame (they're the ones that hold the horn mount and some other stuff together). :-( How do you guys get such things out?

Attached Thumbnails Engine guards on Sportsters-engineguard.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a guard on my bike. I went down on it twice (deer and oil spill), both times on the right side. It did save some damage to the bike however it tweaked the bottom mounting plate which is welded to the frame. So, I can conceivably see how frame damage could occur if you put it down hard enough.

I carry a $50 deductible so if the bike goes down again, I'm not really worried about potential damage now that I don't use the guard.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, My bike ain't complete without the engine guard. I thought the Lindy would be kind of weird but after having it for a while I can say it adds to the road sofa effect.

When on the HW I put my feet up on the bar, my ankle sits comfortably in the flat spot and I kick back riding like I own the road.

Lastly, the last bike I had got flattened by a really bad truck driver, the delivery truck 5-Ton type, without the crash bar (that took a real beating) and the bags I would of been seriously hurt, I suggest as much stuff as possible.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Non11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the Lindby Unibar on my 1200 Low, gave it a much more substantial look than the round guards and the ability to move my highway pegs alot more without weird angles.

http://www.lindbycustom.com/cart/pro...cat=289&page=1

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you can't use the Lindby on my 2011 XL1200C

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prone to dropping it or new / small / female / clumsy riders it's prob. cheap insurance, but the downside is appearance, cost, and weight. First thing I removed from my Nightster was the wrinkle black crash bar, followed by front fender and sprocket cover. I couldn't believe how much it weighed, and it was all to the front of the bike. At the time it also had 13.5" shocks and worthless fork springs so it was all sorts of skittish, (nose down) especially on the highway.

[rant]
I don't really care for the looks of the non-48 bikes as they come from the MOCO until stripped down and personalized. Say what you will about appearance...but to me, life is too short. I honestly could care less about what anyone thinks, so that one won't work either. I'm pretty anti-leather, fringe, chrome, vest, chaps, and super fatties embellishing themselves and their bikes like they "took and got it at the wall-marts", so they can putt around town getting something they missed out on in high school. Don't tell mreed, but I'm also not a fan of trikes unless there is a handicap or something. I just don't get it.

...at the same time I tend to keep it to myself...to each his own and all. When I say anti, I mean I don't personally want to portray any part of that image myself. I have some riding acquaintances that fit that description, but fortunately they are too afraid to get their bikes dusty to ride with unless it's a 20+ bike leather parade. Same goes for the nerdy power ranger dual-sport image or no eye protection downtown scooter tard flip-flop hipster mods. Just not my thing, but if it's yours...OWN IT I guess.
[/rant]

If my wife ends up with an Iron or 48, she will definitely be getting the crash bar.

Last edited by Jackal; 06-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine guards on Sportsters