Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition module/coil/carburetor problem 03 sportster LONG STORY - NEED HELP

Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Custom Zach
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP - ignition module, coil, carb???

Specs: 2003 HD Sporty 883C, hyper-charger a/c, aftermarket pipes.

Note: A couple tanks of gas before this problem started I almost ran it out of gas. A tank later I filled up in the middle of no where with the worst gas I ever got.

Problem: A couple weeks ago my sporty started sputtering at stop lights/signs and almost stalling. A few days later it started stalling and a day later it started stalling randomly while I rode it. I would have to wait about 5-10 minutes and it would start up again. I could ride it for another few minutes and it would stall again. Repeat the process over and over... My first thought was carb so my mechanic buddy took it apart to clean it and it wasn't too bad. He put it back on and we went from there. My second thought was ignition module. After reading up on it on these forums that seemed to be the sure problem. I replaced that yesterday ($255 OEM). The sporty starts up fine and runs without stalling until I put a load on it and it will shut off. Seemed to be a timing issue so we worked that out. When sitting in neutral, I can start the bike and throttle it no problem. It doesn't sound like it did before we adjusted the timing. Now when I put it in gear and try to ride it I get to the end of my driveway and it sputters and spits black smoke. It doesn't shut off but I lose power. The black smoke indicates that it's running rich??? So I'm back to a carburetor problem at this point right???

I'm already missing Laconia Bike Week because of this... I don't want to miss the HD Rendezvous next week. PLEASE HELP HAHA!

Thanks. Zach

Last edited by Custom Zach; 06-12-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Long Title
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you clean the pet-*** screen?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Custom Zach
Novice

Yes, the screen is clean. I wish that was the solution! haha

Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Is the black smoke coming from both pipes or just one?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Custom Zach
Novice

It looked like the smoke was coming out of both.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member

If it's both, I would look again at the carb. If it's one pipe, you could have an ignition problem.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Custom Zach
Novice

I just replaced the ignition module and will be doing the ignition coil today... also doing new plugs today. I'm hoping I don't have to re-jet. I've owned this bike for almost a year and haven't changed the intake or pipes. So it shouldn't be a jet issue... right?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Custom Zach
I just replaced the ignition module and will be doing the ignition coil today... also doing new plugs today. I'm hoping I don't have to re-jet. I've owned this bike for almost a year and haven't changed the intake or pipes. So it shouldn't be a jet issue... right?
Nope, the jet size shouldn't need to be changed if it was running good before.
The coil is a reasonable possibility.
Be sure and gap the plugs @ .040".

Old 06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Custom Zach
Novice

Do you know anything about the timing of the ignition module. I don't have pictures but I took the timing cover off (The small 3 inch cover with the 5speed on it) and then I unscrewed the inner cover to get to the module. I replaced the module and put both covers back on. I heard that the placement of that inner cover has to do with the timing of the module. I marked it and put it back together how I found it but I'm still not sure.

I spoke to a mechanic down the street and he said to re-jet the carburetor instead of replacing the coil but that doesn't make since to me since this issue only started recently. I think there is an adjustment off somewhere and I have already spent a bunch of money trying to chase this thing down...

Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Sorry, I don't any manuals for the pre 04 Sporty and only limited experience with ignition timing on them.
The Sporty was completely changed in 2004.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ignition module/coil/carburetor problem 03 sportster LONG STORY - NEED HELP