Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future of my Iron - springer front end?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blindrocket
Sweet, thanks for that link. I wonder how the price comPares on the zero engineering. The led sled 1400.

The OP in that link(HoldFast) actually installed a LedSled springer on his bike. I think he ended up needing a new caliper as well. Perhaps you could PM to ask about his total cost.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the info on the Zero Engineering springer, which is currently out of stock (not that I'm ready to buy, lol)

Availability: Out of stock
$1,545.00

Quick Overview

* Glossy Black
* Standard 1" Steering Stem
* 30" length
* 17.5" from neck bottom to hub
* Considered to be 2" under standard length
* 3/4" axle
* Best suited for custom application

The Zero Engineering® Springer Fork- an updated, ruggedized "In-Line" type based on 1930's-1940's Big Twins with ~38 degrees frame necks. Improvements include needle bearings, reinforced joints, an adjustable bushing for tension, and mounting for a disc brake.
So this is for sure a bolt on part and I wouldn't have to do any modifications? I need this to be easy!

It's more expensive than the Led Sled, but I trust mreed and what he says on the matter.

To me, since I'm such a n00b, simply a springer was old school. So I REALLY appreciate the advice of you guys who know the difference between your ******* and your elbow. Especially from those of you have ridden on them. This would be my first experience.

A guy at work was saying it would be like riding a jack hammer. lulz

Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Dafy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your front suspension is stock you probably wouldn't notice the difference lol. I upgraded my shocks to Ohlins sprung for my weight but it made little difference. I still come 6" off the seat at hiway speeds when I hit a big bump. I've personally decided to live with it and go with a springer. Though in my case I want an actual HD springer from the 40s. Worst handling bike I've ever had but it's fun and beautiful so I'm learning the trade offs.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 PM
pointdogg48
Tourer

will those pipes posted fit an rubbermonted EFI sportster? they look like bad *** devil horns sent from hell

Old 06-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Dafy
Tourer

Pipes in your sig are hot. Don't change them lol. I sanded my tank cuz of you, btw. But I want to add copper to it eventually so it can corrode into a beautiful blue

Old 06-13-2012, 06:10 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blindrocket
Here is the info on the Zero Engineering springer, which is currently out of stock (not that I'm ready to buy, lol)

So this is for sure a bolt on part and I wouldn't have to do any modifications? I need this to be easy!

It's more expensive than the Led Sled, but I trust mreed and what he says on the matter.

To me, since I'm such a n00b, simply a springer was old school. So I REALLY appreciate the advice of you guys who know the difference between your ******* and your elbow. Especially from those of you have ridden on them. This would be my first experience.

A guy at work was saying it would be like riding a jack hammer. lulz

Don't believe that one is a bolt on. With the 04 and up rubber mount Sportsters you would need to springer to have an offset neck. If not the rear leg will contact your frame which will limit your turning radius. The offset neck allows the rear legs of the springerto clear the frame and not make contact.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 PM
blindrocket
Road Master

Originally Posted by pointdogg48
will those pipes posted fit an rubbermonted EFI sportster? they look like bad *** devil horns sent from hell
Yup, they make them for modern Sporties. Their pipes for '03 and under bikes are a bit cheaper, though. I assume because they have to add 02 sensor bungs or something for us with EFI.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:22 PM
blindrocket
Road Master

Originally Posted by HERE
Don't believe that one is a bolt on. With the 04 and up rubber mount Sportsters you would need to springer to have an offset neck. If not the rear leg will contact your frame which will limit your turning radius. The offset neck allows the rear legs of the springerto clear the frame and not make contact.
Well hmph, I guess that leaves me the Led Sled because I'm not a jedi-master wizard like mreed.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 286 Posts

FWIW As for bolt on ....
I did not notice a caliper mounting area (or a four bolt front fender mount either).

Like the springer on sportster idea though.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Dafy
Tourer

I guess part of the question here is:

What is 'inline'?

What is mid mount?

What is 'mount'? In general...mid, wide, etc.?

Holdfast changed the brakes, I'm pretty sure of that; not out of knowledge but out of reading what he said, somwhere...somewhere lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Future of my Iron - springer front end?