Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know what map I have

Old 07-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Billy...
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I know what map I have

I have an 07 1200C EFI. The previous owner had fitted a FuelPak but that's now been removed.

It also has a screaming eagle stage 1 air filter and Vance and Hines Straight shots.

I'm thinking of buying Xied or Vied as its s little jerky at low throttle and everything I've read about Xied's has been good generally.

How do I know if my bike has the stock flash or stage 1 flash and does it matter for Xied's? I'm presuming that the FuelPak doesn't matter now it's been removed.

Before I order the Xied's do I have to check that I have a compatible map in the ECU?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM
fourburgs
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Factory epa reg, is lean. Stage 1 download is still lean . - ied anthing will help a little but is still lean . Don't spend the 100 dollars on a band-aid . Put that 100 dollars and add some more and get a tunner. A lot of us tried the -ied and now we have a tunner. Just tryin to save you some money . Witch tunner is best ?? That's a whole other can of worms ..Things that seem to work at a great price cost you double or triple in the end when you sit back and see what you invested. Hope this helps. And ya , DONE THAT . And as fuelpak goes... Its Junk .

Last edited by fourburgs; 07-24-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Billy...
Cruiser

Thanks Fourburgs. Before I go for the -ied I'll do some more research to see if a tuner would be a better option. I've not had any direct experience with the FuelPak but given that the previous owner took it off suggests that it wasn't working for him.

Course he might have liked it so much he took it off and fitted it to his next bike

Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Fuelpak seems to be hit and miss for people. I've been using it for the past few months after switching from X14's and the improvement was great.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you didn't get a SERT or a SEPST (little orange or black box) with your bike then you most likely have the factory ECM configuration loaded. Owners pay big bucks for that VCI - it is the vehicle communication interface that connects your bike to a PC with the super tuner software. Any time a map is downloaded - even at the dealer you need that VCI and once it is connected to your bike, the serial number is embedded in it and it won't work on any other bike - so there's no value in trading or selling it - so likely it would have gone with your bike. IF you had that box you would be able to use the supertuner software to read the config as the last config dumped to the bike is also written to the VCI.

Probably safe bet that you have the factory flash.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Billy...
Cruiser

Originally Posted by schwingding
Probably safe bet that you have the factory flash.
Thanks Schwingding. I don't have a little box and I have a pile of receipts (4 binders full in a rucksack) and can only find evidence of the FuelPak. So I'm guessing you're right and it has the stock map.

I don't need to tune it for super performance only slightly better running and elimination of the juddering at low throttle so I guess I'll need to do some research on whether ied's will be enough or I need a full performance system.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy...
Thanks Schwingding. I don't have a little box and I have a pile of receipts (4 binders full in a rucksack) and can only find evidence of the FuelPak. So I'm guessing you're right and it has the stock map.

I don't need to tune it for super performance only slightly better running and elimination of the juddering at low throttle so I guess I'll need to do some research on whether ied's will be enough or I need a full performance system.
Regardless of what you choose here - a tuner or the xieds, you aren't going to get heaps of performance gains out of that motor unless you spend really big money, so I'd say get the xieds and see if you're happy, it is the cheapest upgrade going in that dept.