Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,000 mile ride review - 2012 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Norms 427
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife's 2008 1200C feels fine at the speeds below. She's a new rider so to help her I tell her that on a level road she can shift into:

3rd gear @ 30 mph
4th gear @ 40 mph
5th gear @ 50 mph
6th gear @ 60 mph

If going uphill or in a hurry then wait till higher speeds.

Her bike doesn't seem to give any indication of low rpm bucking or lugging at those speeds.

YMMV

BTW, my calculations vary a bit from the ones in the chart, but close enough. With a stock 150/80/16 tire mine are:

Gear**My MPH/1000 rpm**Chart/1000 rpm

1st.............. 8.0...................8.0
2nd.............11.3.................11.0
3rd.............15.2.................14.0
4th.............18.3.................17.0
5th.............21.3.................20.0

Last edited by Norms 427; 08-25-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Southcity
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. It's good to know what I'm hearing is normal. The shifts themselves are very smooth when I let out the clutch. Just always that pronounced mechanical sound when moving the shifter while still holding in the clutch.

I thought about saddlebags when I first got the bike. But the hassle of relocating the rear turn signals & the way they look afterwards made me put it off for now. I looked at those bags you mentioned on Amazon. Would those work without having to relocate the turn signals?

Originally Posted by MrPeepers
I get the clunk from N to 1st when cold. You should hear some mechanical sound when shifting in any gear. As long as you don't have to force it to get it into gear.

You should also hear some valve noise - everyone told me that was normal. I put on Vance and Hines Straigh-tshots... and the noise went away.... :-) ... at least I don't hear the value noise anymore.

If you are taking trips and need some saddle bags you might want to check these out - "River Road Saddlebag with Quick-Release Straps - Compact Braided XF10-9003" (got them from Amazon for $116). I bought these and they fit perfectly without the need for those saddle bag supports. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by Southcity; 08-25-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM
MrPeepers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Southcity

I thought about saddlebags when I first got the bike. But the hassle of relocating the rear turn signals & the way they look afterwards made me put it off for now. I looked at those bags you mentioned on Amazon. Would those work without having to relocate the turn signals?
You don't have to relocate anything. These bags are smaller bags - so the rear turn signals are not in the way.

These bags have two adjustable quick release connectors at the front and the back. Slung over the bike, under the seat, the bags fit between the rear tun signal and the passenger foot peg and rest on the shock. Then, connect one of the straps (just a loop) over the rear turn signal. The other strap goes to the base of the passenger footpeg. Now, tighten the straps (they have slider adjusters like on a back pack).

End result is that you have saddle bags between the passenger footpeg and the rear turn signal that is tensioned by the adjustable straps - one on foot peg the other on the turn signal mount. The bag is against the shock and the tension of the straps keeps it from bouncing around. The bags clear the muffler on the right by about 4 inches - so no heat problem. The bags have a (removable) foam backing protector - this is what rests on the shocks. I put the bags on with the pockets in the front (lots of pics show this in the back). So, I can easily reach back and get my sunglasses, wallet, cell phone, out of the bags without getting off the bike or opening the saddle bags at all.

The bags are well made, they come with liners, covers, and a carrying bag. I think I got a good deal.

Last edited by MrPeepers; 08-25-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Southcity
Novice

Sounds great. Having to move the turn signals was the only reason I didn't add bags originally. I think I'll be buying these ones.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
littledragon
Cruiser

I have a 2009 low. It vibrates or shudders at 45-55 but smooths out like a dream at 60. I bought it with some short floor board style foot pegs and those have to go. I need to have a regular set of foot pegs like the passenger pegs put on it before I reide it anymore. I thought about putting forward controls on it but I think regular rider pegs and some kind of a decent seat have to be gotten before I can ride this bike much more. I heard the sundowner seat is the one to get for two up riding. Hope they are right.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by Southcity
I've got about 200 miles on it after my first week of riding. I'm still noticing a loud click/thunk with every gear shift. Does that go away or at least get better as you rack up more miles? It's probably the loudest when shifting from Neutral into first but it's still there with just about every other shift too.

I'm thinking of riding from St Louis to Kansas City(about 250 miles each way) for the Harley factory open house the weekend of Sep 7 but am a bit concerned that those thunking sounds may be an indication that something is wrong.
Mine has done this since day one. Your ride sounds just like mine. I'm told this is pretty typical for HD's. Got close to 5k on the OD at 1 year mark this month.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by MrPeepers
You don't have to relocate anything. These bags are smaller bags - so the rear turn signals are not in the way.

These bags have two adjustable quick release connectors at the front and the back. Slung over the bike, under the seat, the bags fit between the rear tun signal and the passenger foot peg and rest on the shock. Then, connect one of the straps (just a loop) over the rear turn signal. The other strap goes to the base of the passenger footpeg. Now, tighten the straps (they have slider adjusters like on a back pack).

End result is that you have saddle bags between the passenger footpeg and the rear turn signal that is tensioned by the adjustable straps - one on foot peg the other on the turn signal mount. The bag is against the shock and the tension of the straps keeps it from bouncing around. The bags clear the muffler on the right by about 4 inches - so no heat problem. The bags have a (removable) foam backing protector - this is what rests on the shocks. I put the bags on with the pockets in the front (lots of pics show this in the back). So, I can easily reach back and get my sunglasses, wallet, cell phone, out of the bags without getting off the bike or opening the saddle bags at all.

The bags are well made, they come with liners, covers, and a carrying bag. I think I got a good deal.
I'm sold! They are on my Amazon "Wish List"
Many thanks for the excellent review and explanation on how to put this on my ride.

Did you ever get a sissy-bar for yours?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Love my 2012 1200C Sportster but found that the bike running so lean made it run too hot and the surging was a PIA.
Once I went with a Stage 1(Python mufflers, S&S A/C and a Power Commander V) it totally transformed the bike save for the ride :-) Lost about 5 MPG though.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:35 PM
tree88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine gets much better fuel economy when i keep the revs up in the 3000-4000rpm range. If I lug it down below 2500 mileage drops by 4-5mpg (worse when riding 2 up)