Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warming up Carb'd Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Davemac122383
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warming up Carb'd Bike

I know when you first starting a carb'd bike it takes a while to warm up the bike but how long on average does it take to get to operating temps?

When starting my bike to go for a ride I pull the choke start it up and let it idle usually for about 5mins or so then start riding but lately the bike takes forever to warm up. The bike will back fire and sputter when trying to accelerate if the bike isnt warmed up even after 5 mins of idling and 5-10 mins of riding. Is this normal? should it take this long?

I'm thinking that the carb needs to be looked at and re jetted to run correctly. I dont want to jet the bike until I get an A/C. Most jet kits include alot of jets and parts but from what ive read you really only need to change out the main jet and the slow jet right?

I'm thinking about getting the two jets most people use the 175-180 and the 45 or 48. On my 05 883c I have SE II slip ons with no baffle and dk custom torque lolipops and I want to get a stage 1 are cleaner from Figure Engineering. What 2 jets should I start out with trying? Im gonna order each individual jet from Jets R Us.com Any help would be great.

Theres alot a kit from jets r us that includes a couple jets for only $25 that im thinking about. Here is the link, its at the top
http://jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/...ster_86-06.htm

Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

5 min max. Shouldn't sputter or anything.

What we do is choke it, pull the throttle a couple times, start it, wait about 30 seconds. Then push in the choke a little bit (but not so much it sputters). Rinse, repeat. It's ready to go in about 3-4 cycles, so about 2 minutes.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

For an 883 a 42/170 jets should suffice. My bike takes 2-5 minutes to warm up based upon temp. It can be a while in the winter (5+ minutes).

Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber

What we do is choke it, pull the throttle a couple times, start it, wait about 30 seconds. Then push in the choke a little bit (but not so much it sputters). Rinse, repeat. It's ready to go in about 3-4 cycles, so about 2 minutes.
I do about the same... pull the choke, start it, wait 15-20 seconds, push it in 1/2 way, give it couple pulls on the throttle, wait another 10 seconds, push it in until it's about 1/4 of the way out, and ride off. No matter which way I leave my house, I hit a stop sign a little less than a mile away, I push in the choke all the way as I am slowing down for it.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You should only have to warm up long enough to put your helmet and gloves on. It really sounds like you need to rejet the carb, if you don't have a stage 1 air cleaner this would be the time to do that also. I'd up the jets to a 45/170, it should have a 42 in it already and it needs to be a little richer, also you may have to pull the plug off the idle mixture screw if no has done it yet.
Put your bike in your garage so we can tell what you own.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Cormac22
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should probably check with some of the shops where you live to see what the normal slow jet size should be, elevation will play hell with that. As for the warm-up time; there are two schools of thought on it. The old way of thinking was to let an engine run with no load (sitting in driveway) until it was at operating temp. If that meant gearing up and drinking a warm beverage while you waited, so be it. The newer thought is that a light load should be applied as soon as oil pressure is up, this will force the engine to warm up quicker. Thus, it spends less time "cold" which is when the most wear takes place. I personally pull the choke (enrichener) out, fire it off, put on gloves/ pull down goggles and go. As soon as it's rolling I push the choke in halfway and after a block push it in the rest of the way. Granted I have about a mile and a half of 30mph flat ground to cover before I can get on it. But either way, you must be jetted correctly first. A dyno can really help with this. Mine was rich, but you would never know it from the plugs.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber

+1 on this and what the others have said. You may have fouled the plugs by having the choke pulled out for so long. I adjust my choke as I hear the idle on of the bike change, (if I even need to touch the choke **** because I've got my choke tension **** set so it basically slides back in on it's own as the bike warms up), and I'm usually off riding before I get the choke even half way or 3/4's back in.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I guess I am a lucky one. My 2005 XL1200R hardly needs the choke. I pull out the choke, start it up, pull away, and reach down and push in the choke all the way - done. Riding at low speed, at or about 2,800 RPM, until truly warmed up (about 2 minutes) and she runs like a charm. Choke is only on about 15 seconds total and my plugs are real happy.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Mr512
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 1200 and usually in mornings give it 3-5 mins, when I leave work I run choke fully out for about 1.5-2 then ride out with it half way until I reach the light,by that time it is usally GTG.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I just pull choke out to full, twist the throttle twice, start it and as soon as it's running i push the throttle in to half just enough to keep it idling. Usually from start to leaving the house is probably a minute or two at most. I push in the choke as soon as i get rolling down the road.

Quick Reply: Warming up Carb'd Bike