Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporty Nolvice, have a Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 05:52 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Sporty Nolvice, have a Question.

Starting to look around for a project bike, and am a little confused with the different models. Altimately, I want to buy an older sportster and build it into a bobber. Bare bones, solo seat on springs apes chopped/ bobbed rear.

Looking at some pics on line, it appears that some models have a higher more raked(?) frame/ neck as seen in these 2 pics.

Given I want to build a bobber, the higher neck is more appealing to me. So, are there frame differences between the models? If so, what models have the higher neck. The pics re late model ones, so are there any older models that are better for this project?

Last edited by steelerdude1; 11-13-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

i like the older pre 04........non rubber mounted motors and carbed, gonna take some research on what ya really want, i looked at many and trying to combine everything i want into 1 bike, still working on mine, good luck, keep us updated, mine is current in my sig pic

Last edited by Zateeva; 11-13-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:43 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

The frames are no different. The second bike has a tank lift and the black plastic conduit that houses the wire harness has been removed. Lifting the tank opens the tunnel to hide the wires and also gives the illusion of increased rake.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

What fskitch said. A Tank Lift and Relocation of the coil gives the Sporty a more Stretched look. You can see a bunch of different parts for bobbing a Sporty HERE.

Sportys are fun to mod and build into whatever you can envision.

I've done a few Sportys...two that are done are both rubber mounts...one an '09 and another a '10.

I'm currently in the middle of building a hardtail '03, which is a solid mount. I also used a rake kit on it to stretch it out a bit.

You can see build reports with lots of pics at the following threads....might give you some ideas of what you like or don't like-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-makeover.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...s-of-pics.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...f-photo-s.html

A couple of pics-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-14-2018, 05:56 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
What fskitch said. A Tank Lift and Relocation of the coil gives the Sporty a more Stretched look. You can see a bunch of different parts for bobbing a Sporty HERE.

Sportys are fun to mod and build into whatever you can envision.

I've done a few Sportys...two that are done are both rubber mounts...one an '09 and another a '10.

I'm currently in the middle of building a hardtail '03, which is a solid mount. I also used a rake kit on it to stretch it out a bit.

You can see build reports with lots of pics at the following threads....might give you some ideas of what you like or don't like-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-makeover.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...s-of-pics.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...f-photo-s.html

A couple of pics-

Awesome!

Your green one one with your logo is very close to what I envision building. Once I find my deal, I will be looking at your products!

Last edited by steelerdude1; 11-14-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:45 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by steelerdude1

Awesome!

Your green one one with your logo is very close to what I envision building. Once I find my deal, I will be looking at your products!
Good luck on your search. We've found a few good deals on Craigslist over the years. This is a good time of year to be buying too!

Feel free to email or call with any questions.

Here's a recent pic of the DK Sporty from a few weeks ago. I'm constantly changing it up a little here or there, testing new parts, etc. But this is what it looks like right now.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:55 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Good luck on your search. We've found a few good deals on Craigslist over the years. This is a good time of year to be buying too!

Feel free to email or call with any questions.

Here's a recent pic of the DK Sporty from a few weeks ago. I'm constantly changing it up a little here or there, testing new parts, etc. But this is what it looks like right now.

Very Nice!

Yeah, been watching Craig's list, and found one I wanted to look at. Was listed in westernWV for a low price. Turns out it looks like a scam. They now say in Nebraska, and they will ship it to me for free if I wire them funds. no Thanks!!! Sounds too fishy to me. I want to see, run it, and pay cash for it while Tranfering the title.

its a shame that this kinda crap happens.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 11-14-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:19 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by steelerdude1

Very Nice!

Yeah, been watching Craig's list, and found one I wanted to look at. Was listed in westernWV for a low price. Turns out it looks like a scam. They now say in Nebraska, and they will ship it to me for free if I wire them funds. no Thanks!!! Sounds too fishy to me. I want to see, run it, and pay cash for it while Tranfering the title.

its a shame that this kinda crap happens.
Yeah, gotta wade thru some stuff like that...definitely some scammers like that on there. But when you find that sweet deal, it'll be worth it.

On the last bike I got on CL, I looked at dozens of bikes online, then talked with 15-20 of them that "looked good" before I found one a couple of hundred miles away. Met the guy halfway, did a test ride in 40* weather. It was the "one".

Keep at it!

Old 11-17-2018, 11:24 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for all thie info guys!

The fever has hit me, and going to need to do this Soom.

I'm looking at an an 03 for $2k ish, and an 83 for about a grand, what’s the best bang for my buck?

Old 11-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

i got my 02 on CL for bout 3k....best bang for your buck is gonna be how much you wanna spend, research more before pulling the trigger on one.....good luck, keep us updated, still need my fender chop and seat and lower rear...........and list goes on

Last edited by Zateeva; 11-18-2018 at 05:41 PM.