Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Davemac122383
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts Review

I just got done installing a set of DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts on my 05 883c with stock A/C and SE II slip ons with no baffles. I went with the W158s. The install was very simple and came with good directions. I just had to drill out my holes a little bit and the inserts bolted up no problem. I tried the inserts in 3 different positions, forwards, backwards, and sideways. I really didnt notice any difference in sound or any improvement in torque. So I'm not sure what else to try or do with these. I do plan on a stage 1 a/c and some carb jetting but may also look into getting full baffles from Big City Thunder and see how they work or just save up for some V&H side/short shots. Anyone one care to share your result on the DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts and what positions you've tried?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Davemac122383
Tourer

I just did some more reading on these and I think I may installed them in the wrong spot. I have mine installed in the end of the slip ons using the bolt holes for the original baffles. Should the be here or at the end of the header pipe where the slip ons attach?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:06 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Davemac122383
I just did some more reading on these and I think I may installed them in the wrong spot. I have mine installed in the end of the slip ons using the bolt holes for the original baffles. Should the be here or at the end of the header pipe where the slip ons attach?
You have them installed in the right place. You are the first to report they did not feel an improvement with their butt dyno.

I would give you my review, and also point you to the Dyno charts HERE , but it is easy to say I am biased. lol

Below are quite a few reviews that I found on the forum here by doing a search-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...t-baffles.html (look at post #9)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...es-review.html (this one has a youtube link in it)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...op-normal.html (look at post #6)

There are lots more, but that's a few.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Davemac122383
Tourer

After riding a little more I do feel a bit more smoother throttle response. Every bike is different so there's gonna be different results. I think I'm also having a carb issue with my bike so once I get that fixed maybe I'll see more improvement. I wasnt trying to be negative. I know you guys stand by your products and customers I am happy with the service I received and shipping/packaging was excellent. Sorry if it came off that I was un happy.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:20 AM
ericsnow954
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FANTASTIC Experience with Thunder Torque Inserts!

First the dirty details: '07 XL883, X14ied, K&N Air Cleaner, Screaming Eagle Pipes. I wanted to change up the sound while at the same time increasing torque and power. I figured for $22 + shipping, the W118s would be an inexpensive investment ~ I can throw away $30 in a heartbeat during any given weekend on something stupid, why not give them a shot.

After realizing I could not install them without removing the baffles (my baffles were flush with the outside of the pipe), I unscrewed and gently removed them (Hah!) from the pipe. Gently involved a pair of channel lock pliers and torquing the hell outta them! Removal complete.

I rode without the baffles for the day, just to get a feel for the difference between baffles and no baffles. Definitely louder (wife was not too happy), rougher sounding, and a good loss of power between 2k-4k RPM - just did not have the giddy-up.

Received the W118's from DK Customs and, to be honest, after looking at them I thought - these are BS - no way these are gonna do anything, pure snake oil.

After drilling out the bottom of the existing baffle holes in the pipe, I inserted the W118s, tightened, and went for a ride - HOLY CRAP. Immediate sound improvement (wife said "that is the way a Harley should sound! loving me some wifey), significant improvement in torque, hp, and all around feel - best money I've ever spent on my bike to date!

Thanks again Kevin - I'm hanging on tight!

Eric

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Davemac122383
Tourer

I'm gonna just have to really try to play around with the positioning and see what I can get. Thanks for all the input.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

back when I had the crappy SE slip on's I pulled out the baffles and ran them open. I did loose a bit of low end so one day I made something just about like The DK Thunder insterts. I made them from L brakets, washers and nuts. Cost about $5.00 total for 2 of them and they did work well. The bike was not as loud and there was more low end. I have my Martin Bro's pipes open and one day I was just playing around and installed just some L brakets in them and it was not near as loud, but I took them out as I love the open pipe sound. The Thunder inserts are a nice version of what is called a lollie pop baffle.

The following users liked this post:
sebasbq (03-25-2022)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Davemac122383
After riding a little more I do feel a bit more smoother throttle response. Every bike is different so there's gonna be different results. I think I'm also having a carb issue with my bike so once I get that fixed maybe I'll see more improvement. I wasnt trying to be negative. I know you guys stand by your products and customers I am happy with the service I received and shipping/packaging was excellent. Sorry if it came off that I was un happy.
No, did not take it that way at all.

Originally Posted by XL50#674
back when I had the crappy SE slip on's I pulled out the baffles and ran them open. I did loose a bit of low end so one day I made something just about like The DK Thunder insterts. I made them from L brakets, washers and nuts. Cost about $5.00 total for 2 of them and they did work well. The bike was not as loud and there was more low end. I have my Martin Bro's pipes open and one day I was just playing around and installed just some L brakets in them and it was not near as loud, but I took them out as I love the open pipe sound. The Thunder inserts are a nice version of what is called a lollie pop baffle.
Yes, the Q style Thunder Torques are a nice version of a lollipop, but the W Style TTI's are substantially different, with a patent pending.

I came back to this thread today because I just received the following email from N Ireland and wanted to share it here-

Guys, received my torque inserts last thursday and fitted on friday evening and wow what can i say they do exactly as they say, i now can ride much longer due to the deeper note of my exhaust,it sounds exactly as i always wanted it to, and i immediately felt the power increase right through the range, i cant tell you how pleased i am, awesome! Thank you for all your help, im now running around telling everyone about these so hopefully you will see more orders from N Ireland.

Thanks again
Dave

Old 08-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Davemac122383
Tourer

Well after some messing around and changing the bike these inserts have didwhat they were advertised to do. I was having some other issues with the bike, and for just doing a fluid change the bike runs completely different and smooth. I changed to amsoil and spectro chaincase oil and the difference is night and day. So now that the engine/tranny are running smooth the torque inserts are able to do their job and what a wonderful difference. Im very happy with how it runs now except for a small issue with random backfiring. But I want to just llet DK Customs know that I am very happy with what this product did. And anyone else having a problem with the inserts you just have to tweak them for your bike, they may work good one way on one bike but need to be in a different position on another bike.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
No, did not take it that way at all.

Yes, the Q style Thunder Torques are a nice version of a lollipop, but the W Style TTI's are substantially different, with a patent pending.

I came back to this thread today because I just received the following email from N Ireland and wanted to share it here-

Guys, received my torque inserts last thursday and fitted on friday evening and wow what can i say they do exactly as they say, i now can ride much longer due to the deeper note of my exhaust,it sounds exactly as i always wanted it to, and i immediately felt the power increase right through the range, i cant tell you how pleased i am, awesome! Thank you for all your help, im now running around telling everyone about these so hopefully you will see more orders from N Ireland.

Thanks again
Dave
Yeah for the price you sell them for it's not bad at all-was not ******* the product, I just like to tinker and build stuff. Like i said I like my pipes open and have the PC III tuned for them. It is kinda crazy how some random metal added in the pipe will have a big differance.

Quick Reply: DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts Review