Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak on 2000 XL1200C Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Nibin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak on 2000 XL1200C Sportster

I have a 2000 XL 1200C Sportster. I put around 1500 miles on it and decided to change the primary/transmission oil. I checked my book and it shows 32oz required. Dropped by Harley Dealer and picked it up double checking the volume needed. The oil change went without a problem.

We had a couple long rides right after I changed the oil. I started to notice oil drops below the frame right infront of the rear tire. Also dripping off the rear fender infront of the rear tire. The motor oil was slowly getting lower in the oil tank. I thought maybe one of the hoses had a minor leak.

I took the seat off and pulled the battery and mount to get a good view at the oil hoses under the oil tank. They were all moist in some area or the other. I didnt see any holes but havent cleaned it yet to drive and then recheck for the leak.

I did notice that what looks to be the tranny breather hose is wet on the end and has some oil just inside the end. Its up just under the seat on the right side. Where it vents is up high and would leak oil down the frame to the area below the oil tank. Im assuming the wind would spray the oil all around down there creating the mess I saw.

I plan to use degreaser tomorrow and clean up under the oil tank and then take for a test ride to see if there are new leaks. But would the tranny blow oil up and out of that breather hose? I pulled the clutch inspection cover and the oil didnt look over full. The book says the oil should be even with the bottom of the clutch diaphram spring. Where or what that is I have no idea but the oil is below the opening.

I drained the oil out completely when I changed it and then added only the required 32oz. That was the entire bottle. Is there something that goes wrong with the tranny to make it blow oil out of the breather hose? Or is my leak most likely coming from somewhere else?

Last edited by Nibin; 08-29-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:56 PM
LadyRyder2000
Stage II

I seem to be having the same issue with my sporty ... leaks get worse n worse ... im tracing down and replacing hoses. Did you find colapsed hoses or old hoses needing replaced? At this point that is the only thing i can think of to do. My bike has 70,000 miles on her.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:03 PM
LadyRyder2000
Stage II

i also did the degreaser cleaning ... ran her ... put mirror under frame to better see where leaks were exactly ... from what i see the leaks r coming from primary and from hoses. i also had oil coming from primary up the clutch cable. i am sooooo at a loss!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Nibin
Intermediate

I checked with the dealer and my Clymers manual before changing the primary oil. It would seem that my leak was the primary blowing out the extra oil and that traveled out the vent hose and down the back of the oil tank. I did everything correct for the primary oil change but after the excess oil was blown out the level i correct.

I dont understand it but there it is.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Nibin
Intermediate

Mine only has 22k or so miles. After I cleaned up that area I have seen no more leaks. The excess blowing out the primary vent hose must have been the only problem. From going through mine I would recommend replacing your hoses under there and cleaning it up. Then look for more leaks. But I am for sure no pro.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 PM
BigWave
6th Gear

Nibin,

I am having the same exact problem with my 2000 Custom Sporty and I was hoping you might have some advice on how you fixed it???

Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Nibin
Intermediate

Im not sure if I have it fixed yet. I took out he battery and rerouted the primary vent hose so that there is no low dips. Its all uphill and goes up under the seat still. Im taking a 2 day hard ride this weekend. I will let you know. If this doesnt work a HD mechanic told me to add more hose and route it down under the bike pointing away from tire.

Last edited by Nibin; 08-13-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Nibin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigWave
Nibin,

I am having the same exact problem with my 2000 Custom Sporty and I was hoping you might have some advice on how you fixed it???
Bigwave,

After I rerouted the vent hose I took a 1200 mile hard ride and it was hot out. Zero oil leakage out of the vent hose. Then a week later I rode 60 miles to the Harley dealer and back. Had about an ounce of oil spray on the bike. No clue why the hard ride left no leaks and the short trip sprayed oil out. Ive been riding it constantly to work and home with little to no oil blowout. Every so often I notice a few more dribbles but nothing like before when the whole lower back half of my bike was coated.

Other then routing the hose back down below the bike and adding a vent filter I dont know what else to do. Its not over filled.

If you find any tips or tricks I would love to hear them.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Sloane
2nd Gear

I have this problem and found a H-D technical bulletin that addresses it. Good luck.
http://www.techbill.net/Harley/docs/M1103.pdf

Old 08-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Sloane
2nd Gear
Default The H-D Technical Bullentin for fix

Originally Posted by LadyRyder2000
I seem to be having the same issue with my sporty ... leaks get worse n worse ... im tracing down and replacing hoses. Did you find colapsed hoses or old hoses needing replaced? At this point that is the only thing i can think of to do. My bike has 70,000 miles on her.
This H-D TB is the reference to correct this problem;

http://www.techbill.net/Harley/docs/M1103.pdf

Quick Reply: Oil leak on 2000 XL1200C Sportster