Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral light/switch on 07 Sporty.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM
conmore
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral light/switch on 07 Sporty.

Hi there
I've got a buddy with an 07 (50th) Anniversary Sportster which yesterday decided not to show the neutral light in the led module. Made sure the gear linkage was adjusted correctly although nothing has changed since the bike was bought new.
Done a bit of research and apparently the neutral light switch is the culprit and a common problem. It sits in behind the front drive belt pulley. Anyone replaced the switch? Easy job?
Also and this is also a question I could not answer for him. He reckons he's always been able to start the bike with ignition on-> switch set to run->press the starter while the bike was in neutral. Now the only way to start the bike with it in neutral is with the clutch lever pulled in??? Something to do with the neutral light not working?

Cheers

Old 09-20-2012, 04:16 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

I had that happen when I had my 07...it was under warranty, though and they replaced the harness. I had no trouble starting the bike, however.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I suspect the fact the neutral light is not working makes the electronics think that the bike is in gear. The only way to start in that condition is with the clutch lever pulled in. Once the neutral switch is sorted out, the starting procedure should be fine.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I altered the harness, now my bike starts regardless of gear position. Call it dangerous if you want. I started riding when bikes had no safety features.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 PM
conmore
Advanced

Hi there
Thanks for the replies folks. I thought as much but having no experience with Sporties wasn't 100% sure.

If anyone has replaced the switch themselves, could you please post how easy or hard it is? I know the switch sits behind the front drive belt pulley.

Cheers

Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Zack Bradley
Cruiser

Are you sure it is the switch and not a wire!? Follow the wire (tan) and make sure it is connected in the 2 spots! should run to your harness and split to go up to the speedo cluster. To make sure the switch is good, get a good ground, be sure it is in neutral and use a light or what not with the wire coming out of the housing to see if there is power.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 AM
paulbrad
Advanced

ive had the same problem on my 09. easy to change. hardest part removing the front drive sprocket. you will need an impact driver and its a left hand thread!. yes te clutch pull in is the norm with the switch gone.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:03 PM
conmore
Advanced

Originally Posted by paulbrad
ive had the same problem on my 09. easy to change. hardest part removing the front drive sprocket. you will need an impact driver and its a left hand thread!. yes te clutch pull in is the norm with the switch gone.

Hi there

How did you lock the front sprocket in order to remove and replace the nut?

Also if anyone else is reading this post. The neutral switch has one (tan) wire going to the switch. It's difficult to get to because of its closeness to the transmission sprocket BUT (silly question, I know) can the wire be removed from the switch to test to see if the switch is faulty or if the problem is between the wire and the neutral light? I can't tell how the wire is removed? In other words does it pull straight off or "off" to the side? And can it be reconnected. There's not alot of space there
EDIT: managed to "fiddle" the lead of the switch, grounded it and the neutral lights up! So. it's the switch. Anyone tell me what the exact size is of the mother of a nut holding the sprocket on?

Cheers

Last edited by conmore; 09-24-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
paulbrad
Advanced

i locked mine with a g clamp. cheap and worked. The wire can be found under the timing cover cable tied to the frame. this is where the bullet connector is. if you unplug this and short the cable to the frame the light should come on.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 PM
paulbrad
Advanced

i think its a 1 7/8 or 42mm

Quick Reply: Neutral light/switch on 07 Sporty.