Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Analog tach combo fuel gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:09 PM
sdlsaginaw
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Analog tach combo fuel gauge problem

Before I go shotgunning it and just buy another sender or pay the dealer to figure it out, I'll put it out here.

The fuel gauge on my analog tach combo never drops below 1/2 tank anymore, however the low fuel light works fine at .8 gallons.

I would just assume I've got a bad sender, but somehow the gauge does get the signal to light the lamp from it at the right amount, so I'm not so sure.

Also, it used to show 1/4 tank and it seems like it hasn't ever since I set the tank for 4.5 gallons. Initially the gauge would never give a tank size option when I first installed it, but eventually I went in and there it was.

I have had the fuse pulled a few times, so it's not something that can be reset that way.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM
IronThunder
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Combination Digital Speedometer/Analog Tachometer (70900274) with the Fuel Level Sensor Kit (70900274) on my 2012 Iron and I believe I am seeing the same thing or something similar to what you are. If I fill the tank, the fuel gauge will show all 4 bars, full. As the fuel gets used, it will go down to 3/4, then half. Mine will then go back up to 3/4 and after a while the low fuel light comes on. It never goes down past a half.

I've pulled the fuse, checked the jumper wire. Verified the gauge is on 3.3 gallons. It never goes down below 1/2 tank on the gauge. I've been searching and have only seen one other post with this issue but no resolution to it.

My next option was to buy another new sensor for $108 and see if that fixes it.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:58 PM
tocsin
Stage IV

Mine is doing the exact same thing, and I just installed it. Analog tach/digital speedo combo. 09 Nightster 1200. 3.3 gallon tank. I had just about emptied it to put the sender in, and when I initialized it and set the tank size, it showed a half tank. Filled up it up and got 4 bars so I thought it was good. Well, with 80 miles on the trip, it was still showing 3 bars (light typically comes on at 100.) Skeptical, I filled and threw a one gallon can in the saddle bag and ran her till she started sputtering under acceleration. She started cutting out with 140 on the trip and took 3.0 gallons at the pump. Gauge never went below 2 bars and said I had ~50 miles remaining. Light did come on at about 125 miles. Probably had a quarter gallon on the right side of the tank that I could have gotten to by laying it over to the left to get another 10 miles or so out of it.

Did you guys ever find a resolution? Could I not have left enough clearance between the wires/fuel tube and the sender do you think? Nothing was closer to it than ~1/16".

Last edited by tocsin; 09-09-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 AM
krakers
Intermediate

I have the same with Combination Digital Speedometer/Analog Tachometer (70900274) with the Fuel Level Sensor Kit (70900274). Additionally even after over 100km/65 miles on 2.1 gallon tank with ~0.2 gallon left in the tank it shows me a range over 60km/40 miles.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone gotten this fuel level gauge to work?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:50 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question: I want this gauge but NOT the fuel level sensor kit.

Can you install the gauge without the fuel level sender kit? Will the "E" light for the gas tank still function?

I don't want or need to install a kit jsut to get little bars, but I do want the "E" light to still work.

Any thoughts on doing the install but just leaving out the fuel level kit?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

Mine was working properly. Then, when I pulled the tank to work on my rocker box gaskets, it stopped registering below 1/2. The low fuel light still comes on though.

It sure would be nice if somebody knew of a fix for this...

Old 09-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow, I wanted one of these and the fuel sensor kit. Not anymore.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 AM
sdlsaginaw
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default No fix yet

I'm about to let the dealer work on it before the gauge goes out of warranty. In fact, dug out the receipts tonight. Such a PITA though.

I did replace the sender, and bent the tab a little for more spacing from the fuel line. If anything, the new sensor is worse. It used to read down to 1/2. Now it doesn't read under 3/4, and will briefly return to full at about 1 gallon left.

Not happy.

Roni, that's very interesting how it stopped working just from removing the tank. Did you drain the tank or anything like that?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by sdlsaginaw
Roni, that's very interesting how it stopped working just from removing the tank. Did you drain the tank or anything like that?
I didn't drain the tank. My '07 Custom has a "stopper" that automatically keeps gas from spilling out when the pressure fitting is removed from the tank. The only has that spills is what little bit is in the line and in the gas hose valve seat, maybe an ounce.

Let us know what the shop does.

BTW, I bought the unit for the tach. I can use the tripmeter to keep track of the gas, although the gauge is convenient. Still, if I have to, I can live without the gas gauge.

Quick Reply: Analog tach combo fuel gauge problem