Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb tweaks and upgrades... a few general questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Mojo1977
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Carb tweaks and upgrades... a few general questions

I bought a 2004 1200R and it's pretty awesome. But, since I'm on here, you know I'm looking at just a little extra kick nothing crazy. So here's the deal. There are tons of threads on carbs and jets and a lot of opinions. Making heads or tails of them has become more frustrating than I thought when comparing it to varying components (pipes, carb brand, 883 vs 1200). So, this is what I'm looking at and maybe yall have a little advice.

What the bike has now (that I know of):
- Slant baloney cut slip-ons. No brand name anywhere that I could see. Came with the bike and previous owner knew nothing about em.
- 88 Sportster carb needle. Bike was running weird at low, steady RPMs when I got it. This fixed it.
- Basic K&N air filter in the stock air case

The previous owner only put about 200 miles on it so didn't know much about the bike. It's only my 2nd bike, and first was a honda cb750 that I did very little tweaking so this stuff is a bit new to me.

As for now, bike pops a lot in quick deceleration and seems a little weak in WOT. Signs of Lean? I was looking at upgrading jets to help alleviate some of this. I believe that stock is 42 slow, 170 main (according to manual, haven't opened it up to look at them yet).

CVP products have other carb parts like the Fuel Max Inlet Elbow and the Velocity Emulsion Tube. Do these make any noticeable change in performance? Yeah or Meh? Performance kits come with jets and these parts also. Anyone use these? Comes with a needle that may work better than the 88 needle?

(yeah, another thread to beat that poor dead horse)

Old 09-27-2012, 01:48 PM
jauslong
Advanced

I put on a new air filter a while ago and was having issues with popping as well. I knew I need to adjust the carb somehow and was trying to figure out the best way to do it. I looked into the jet kits and all of that.

Try the dealership first. I got what I needed for like $7, and there were people there who knew exactly which one to give me.

Not that the people on this forum aren't a great source of detailed information. They are. But, you may find that you can just show up to the dealership and ask them. If you get a knucklehead behind the counter, then you're back to square one, but sometimes you can save a lot of money just by asking them what jet you should have in there.

Is the popping only happening when you decelerate? Or are you getting it with quick acceleration too?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Drill the plug for the afr screw out. Adjust it with that and add a 180 main jet. If you want add a larger pilot jet too but I don't think that will really be necessary. The jets are inexpensive and the labor to put them in is relatively simple. Drilling out the plug for the screw takes almsot no time at all.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

This website can show you how to get all you can get out of your CV carb.

Harley Davidson performance

http://www.harley-performance.com/index.html

Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Mojo1977
1st Gear

Is the popping only happening when you decelerate? Or are you getting it with quick acceleration too?
It's when I decelerate. As in, running gas and light turns red, and I roll the throttle off to 0. Or better example, 80 to no throttle coming off freeway ramp. Doesn't pop in acceleration

Drill the plug for the afr screw out. Adjust it with that and add a 180 main jet. If you want add a larger pilot jet too but I don't think that will really be necessary.
That was more or less the plan, I was looking at installing a 45 slow, 180 main. Nice to hear someone doing similar to what I was thinking. yeah, the jets are cheap.
I read elsewhere to leave the slow and shim the needle instead. The CVP kits come with a couple other parts, like fuel inlet elbow and velocity emulsion tube, but I'm not sure what these do or if they'd make a lick of difference.

I know there are no definites so I'm taking all the advice and opinions i can before a take this carb off

Last edited by Mojo1977; 09-27-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Mojo1977
1st Gear

In addition to the above questions, these are the CV parts I am asking about. If anyone has used them, was there much of a difference in engine performance, efficiency, general health?

http://www.cv-performance.com/cvp-fuel-max-inlet-elbow/

http://www.cv-performance.com/cvp-ve...emulsion-tube/