Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the sub fender from 72' (and similar models)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing the sub fender from 72' (and similar models)

I'm looking to remove that sub fender on the rear of my bike(The one holding the reflectors). Any tips or suggestions, links or specs would be helpful before I dig in. Thanks in advance.

What is the sub fender for exactly? Can I still ride 2 up?

Last edited by $eventy2T; 10-04-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM
AustinXL
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant remove it permanently or you'll have a gap between the fender rail and fender (unless you want that?) and also your tag holder is connected to it.

You can remove it and grind off the reflector tabs though.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:15 PM
$eventy2T
Tourer

thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the gap and would like to remove the entire sub fender ONLY if I can still ride 2 up safely. If the sub fender is for cosmetic/fuctional apllications like Filling gaps, plate mount, wire cover etc.... Id like to remove it. If it is for foundation, structure, reinforcememt for 2 up, than no, I dont want to remove it.
Removing it and chopping the relectors is a great idea. Im still curious on what the removal requires. cheers

Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been planning the same thing. I think I found a thread here where someone did it with a 48. I think my search query had something to do with license plate removal. I just want mine out so I can get rid of the license plate bracket. Was gonna just cut it off but I'd like to be able to go back to it if I get hassled by the curved bracket I'm putting on

Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

I've removed mine from my 48 and have ridden 2 up on numerous occasions with zero issues. Once you remove it you'll see that it provides little, if any, structural support to the rear fender. You will ended up with a small gap like mentioned but I'm ok with that.

It's fairly simple to do. First plan on relocating your plate mount. I'm guessing you could remove it and modify it to still use the factory swinging plate mount but I just chose to buy a $30 plate bracket and moved it down to my axle.

It's been almost 2 years since I've done mine so excuse me if I'm a bit fuzzy in my step by step. It's all fairly self explanatory. I did mine in an afternoon.

First, having a jack to pick the bike up makes this so much easier. What I did was set the bike on a jack, removed the upper shock bolts(both sides) and jacked the bike up as high as I could. Doing so lets the swing arm drop out and gives you plenty of room to work under the fender.

If I remember correctly you can do one side at a time. I believe I did the right side first. You'll see where you'll have to unbolt the fender from the fender struts as well as (I believe) the signal light. The wiring for the signal light is routed through some little holders on the piece that you'll be removing. All I did was take the wires and zip tied them to the inner side of the fender strut. Keeps them out of harms way and they can't be seen. If I remember correctly the piece you're wanting to removed is rivetted to the actual fender(4 rivets total I think). I took a drimel tool and ground off the underside of the rivets and was able to pop them right out using a screw driver with little to no effort. That should allow the reflector to come right out. Bolt everything back in place and repeat the process for the left side. It's pretty self explanatory and fairly easy to do.

Also a note, if you move your plate to your axle you'll need to have some sort of light source on the plate, or atleast legally you're supposed to. There is 2 wires that run to the factory plate mount that power a light for it. All I did was snipped this wire and rerouted it. You should have plenty enough slack to reroute it down through the battery box area an down the swing arm. I did this and wired in 2 small white LED bolts to light up my plate.

Oh and don't do like I did and throw the factory plate mount away. Apparently they're an aftermarket part from HD that sells for about $170 new. apparently I shorted myself some beer money because Ive seen a few sell here for about $80 or so.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

You kinda get the idea.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 PM
$eventy2T
Tourer

Originally Posted by HERE
I've removed mine from my 48 and have ridden 2 up on numerous occasions with zero issues. Once you remove it you'll see that it provides little, if any, structural support to the rear fender. You will ended up with a small gap like mentioned but I'm ok with that.

It's fairly simple to do. First plan on relocating your plate mount. I'm guessing you could remove it and modify it to still use the factory swinging plate mount but I just chose to buy a $30 plate bracket and moved it down to my axle.

It's been almost 2 years since I've done mine so excuse me if I'm a bit fuzzy in my step by step. It's all fairly self explanatory. I did mine in an afternoon.

First, having a jack to pick the bike up makes this so much easier. What I did was set the bike on a jack, removed the upper shock bolts(both sides) and jacked the bike up as high as I could. Doing so lets the swing arm drop out and gives you plenty of room to work under the fender.

If I remember correctly you can do one side at a time. I believe I did the right side first. You'll see where you'll have to unbolt the fender from the fender struts as well as (I believe) the signal light. The wiring for the signal light is routed through some little holders on the piece that you'll be removing. All I did was take the wires and zip tied them to the inner side of the fender strut. Keeps them out of harms way and they can't be seen. If I remember correctly the piece you're wanting to removed is rivetted to the actual fender(4 rivets total I think). I took a drimel tool and ground off the underside of the rivets and was able to pop them right out using a screw driver with little to no effort. That should allow the reflector to come right out. Bolt everything back in place and repeat the process for the left side. It's pretty self explanatory and fairly easy to do.

Also a note, if you move your plate to your axle you'll need to have some sort of light source on the plate, or atleast legally you're supposed to. There is 2 wires that run to the factory plate mount that power a light for it. All I did was snipped this wire and rerouted it. You should have plenty enough slack to reroute it down through the battery box area an down the swing arm. I did this and wired in 2 small white LED bolts to light up my plate.

Oh and don't do like I did and throw the factory plate mount away. Apparently they're an aftermarket part from HD that sells forout $170 new. apparently I shorted myself some beer money because Ive seen a few sell here for about $80 or so.
Perfect man! Thank you so much. This is everything I was looking for. I owe you some pints sir! Cheers.

your bike looks great btw. Nice work.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

Thanks and no problem. Post up when you finish it. It's fairly simple, I don't know why you don't see more people doing it.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:15 PM
HD1974
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removed sub fender from my 72 Custom

Removed sub fender from my 2013 72 Custom and relocated my license plate. Ill post pics ⚡️

Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 PM
HD1974
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removed sub fender from my 72 Custom

The following users liked this post:
New72 (02-25-2017)

Quick Reply: Removing the sub fender from 72' (and similar models)