Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring power to new Dyna 2000i Ing Module

Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 PM
CaptainCalf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring power to new Dyna 2000i Ing Module

I can wire the module up as shown in the attached pic, but can somebody splain to me what happens at the coil with the front cylinder post having +12V on it all the time??? Seems like the +12V wire is needed to power the ign module and allow the kill switch to work, but wouldn't interfere with the firing signal from the module at the coil??? Seems like it would keep the plug on the front cylinder glowing all the time the motor is running which can't be right can it?

Attached Thumbnails Wiring power to new Dyna 2000i Ing Module-11-12-12-wiring-ign-module.jpg  
Old 11-12-2012, 02:11 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

First, the +12 (white) wire would not be wired directly to the battery, but is "hot" only after passing through the ignition and "kill" switches.

The coil is fired by the pink wire supplying a ground to the other side of the coil.

The coil is dual fire (wasted spark), which means that both plugs will fire at the same time. When the front plug is fired on a compression stroke, the rear plug gets fired even though there's nothing for the spark it ignite. The same is true when the rear cylinder is on its compression stroke.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
CaptainCalf
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
First, the +12 (white) wire would not be wired directly to the battery, but is "hot" only after passing through the ignition and "kill" switches.

The coil is fired by the pink wire supplying a ground to the other side of the coil.

The coil is dual fire (wasted spark), which means that both plugs will fire at the same time. When the front plug is fired on a compression stroke, the rear plug gets fired even though there's nothing for the spark it ignite. The same is true when the rear cylinder is on its compression stroke.
Thanks cHarley! Yes, I have the white/black wire coming in from the kill switch and start button which I'll put on the front cylinder coil post along with the white wire from the Dyna Ign, so it will only be hot when the key is on and the kill switch is in the "on" position.

Wasted spark and pink wiring running the show is easy to understand the way you explained it and I appreciate you takin the time

Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainCalf
Thanks cHarley! Yes, I have the white/black wire coming in from the kill switch and start button which I'll put on the front cylinder coil post along with the white wire from the Dyna Ign, so it will only be hot when the key is on and the kill switch is in the "on" position.

Wasted spark and pink wiring running the show is easy to understand the way you explained it and I appreciate you takin the time
Your welcome.
But to keep the terminology clear for others, there is no front or rear cylinder terminal post, as it's really just a single coil primary with + and - terminals that fires the 2 secondary plug wires simultaneously.

Last edited by cHarley; 11-12-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
CaptainCalf
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
Your welcome.
But to keep the terminology clear for others, there is no front or rear terminal post, as it's really just a single coil primary with + and - terminals that fires the 2 secondary plug wires.

LOL, yeah what he said