Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48 lover to...Street bob???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by therealjohnny5
Here it comes...

So I bought my 48 and have a full MSRP trade in within the year from purchase. I love...I mean LOVE my 48. She's peppy and hella fun. I posted for opinions over on the Dyna thread and I need my fellow sportster riders words of wisdom too.

To start, I'm not looking for "which is better" because I know full well it's all in personal preference. I ride every day. Mostly city, some interstate. Average speeds 55\60 and below with most being in the 45-55 range. I like to scrape my pegs and I do so regularly. My question to the Dyna types was about the Street Bob handling. I know it's not the same as my 48, but I'm curios as to the comparison.

From you guys and gals, I'd like to hear ideas to fulfill my needs with my beloved 48. The thing about the SB that appealed was the amazingly smooth ride and the top end room it had. Now I can't go dropping a 6th gear into my sporty, but is it possible to get a more comfortable ride for a guy who does regular rides of 100+ miles and daily commutes?

Mind you my bike is fully stock. I'm not dumping $$ until I know I'm keeping it. I love how nimble it is, the 2.1 gallon tank doesn't offend me at all. I love the look, I prefer the fat front tire as there are a number of grooved and metal decked bridges and roads around these parts.

So anyway, have at it my fellow Sporty guru's. And thanks in advanced for your input.
$100 or so on some take off touring air shocks from ebay...it will feel like you're riding a completely different bike.

Make sure your handlebars are in the best position. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/other...andlebars.html

Possibly some mini-floorboards and a backrest.

I regularly do 200-400 mile days on my sporty, completely comfortable.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 PM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
$100 or so on some take off touring air shocks from ebay...it will feel like you're riding a completely different bike.

Make sure your handlebars are in the best position. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/other...andlebars.html

Possibly some mini-floorboards and a backrest.

I regularly do 200-400 mile days on my sporty, completely comfortable.
Thanks Kev. i like the positioning of the forwards and the pegs don't bother me. My biggest thing is shocks and seat. The SB just felt so nice. Do the shocks make that much of a difference? I wasn't sure if part of the smoothness came from the added weight of the SB.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Allrighty, a while back I had a bad back and had to go with a lighter ride. I tried a new Forty Eight. I kept it for about three months. It was super fun for about 30 minutes, it rode like a brick and I had to stop for gas about every 75 miles. I traded it for a Street Bob and really enjoyed the new scooter. Glad to say my back is better and now I am back on a bagger. That being said, the Street Bob is a nice scooter, IMO the best buy in the entire HD line up.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:02 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by therealjohnny5
Thanks Kev. i like the positioning of the forwards and the pegs don't bother me. My biggest thing is shocks and seat. The SB just felt so nice. Do the shocks make that much of a difference? I wasn't sure if part of the smoothness came from the added weight of the SB.
The air shocks on the sporty make a HUGE difference. There are quite a few threads on the forum with dozens of guys that are super happy with them.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 AM
blacklander48
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my opinions is a sporty for street riding. spend some money on shocks,seat,handlebar and front fork springs and you are set for a better ride.

i dont know if you will need 6speed for city riding of 45/55 speed.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by redrub
A Road King and a Sporty?

Now that's just crazy talk! =:^)
Ha ... It's comforting to know I'm not the only crazy one

Old 12-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like you really like your 48. I can tell you my experience. My first real ride (200 miles) left me in so much pain after 100 miles I had to stop every ten minuets for a rest. It hurt so bad it was causing me to tear up I installed a mustang seat. Not long after I took a 1500 mile trip. Sure after a long day of riding I knew I had spent it on a motorcycle but I was not uncomfortable or in pain. All the difference came from just the seat.......I did no other comfort mods. A few weeks ago I installed some RK shocks and lowering blocks. Havent had a chance to take it for a real road test but I bet the ride will be even better.......and I think they look better.

Ive looked at the dynas and may own one one day as a second bike...........scratch that..........third bike cause I have 2 sportys Nothing does it for my like my 48 though.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't see your post in the Dyna forum and like you said, it's all a matter of preference. I can honestly say I love my SB all around. I may eventually get another bike, but I will never get rid of this one. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Buddy Shagmore
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I can see where you have a tough decision. Your bike is 86 lbs lighter than the SB, therefore more nimble, which you say is important to you. With a seat and suspension change, you'll have it all.
The SB on the other hand, seems like a "bigger sportster", and with the factory customization offer on that model, you could come up with a killer custom from the get go. Heavier, but likely better suited for longer rides.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:52 AM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacklander48
my opinions is a sporty for street riding. spend some money on shocks,seat,handlebar and front fork springs and you are set for a better ride.

i dont know if you will need 6speed for city riding of 45/55 speed.
Nah I wouldn't but I do like to go on longer rides (yeah the tank size is limiting, but I don't care about stopping for gas) and I'd probably be more comfortable on the interstate with the SB.

Originally Posted by Rog48
Sounds like you really like your 48...Nothing does it for my like my 48 though.
I feel you Rog. All the other bikes I've ridden aren't half as fun as my 48 (well, maybe the SB is half as fun...) I really do like it's ride and looks, just need some more comfort out of it.

Originally Posted by Robbie13
I didn't see your post in the Dyna forum and like you said, it's all a matter of preference. I can honestly say I love my SB all around. I may eventually get another bike, but I will never get rid of this one. Just my 2 cents.
Robbie, I've seen your bob around the forums, very nice. And when I went into buy my 48 I was torn between the SB but settled on the 48 bc of the front tire size (we have some grooved roads and bridges around here). I have to say your scoot is the closest one to my style that I've seen.

Originally Posted by Buddy Shagmore
I can see where you have a tough decision. Your bike is 86 lbs lighter than the SB, therefore more nimble, which you say is important to you. With a seat and suspension change, you'll have it all.
The SB on the other hand, seems like a "bigger sportster", and with the factory customization offer on that model, you could come up with a killer custom from the get go. Heavier, but likely better suited for longer rides.
Good luck with your decision.
Yeah, I've got some nice ideas for the Bob and of any bike out there it's the closest to the Sportster. I'm starting to think I might ought to swap some parts on my 48 to see if I can get the ride more comfortable, and if I trade in I can just ebay my parts maybe...

Quick Reply: 48 lover to...Street bob???