Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48 lover to...Street bob???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
liljoejoe54
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X04D
It's all preference. If you fit (or can make yourself fit) on a Sporty, like the speed, and can handle it well, I'd say stick with it. The only reason I could see going to something else is if you can't fit on it comfortably.

If comfort is the decider, look into new shocks and springs. If necessary, take a look at forward controls, a new seat, and new handle bars.
I was thinking the same thing. The OEM shocks and seats that come on Sportsters are extremely uncomfortable (at least that is my experience). Everty time i hit a bump, I felt like I got kicked in the *** (and in Chicago, there is a lot of bumps/potholes in the road, lol).

You already mentioned you loved your 48 so IMO before you make a hard decision, put a couple of bucks into your Sporty and swap out the shocks and get a better seat. From what I hear, it makes a world of difference in comfort.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 AM
JLSmith526
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it really is a matter of just switching some parts out.

The seat will make a huge difference in comfort alone, the shocks even more so.

The 48 is going to be far more nimble. I had dealt with the same issues, I had a sporty for a first bike and was deciding between a SB and a 48 for my next one. I went with the 48 and am happy. It is just a matter of making a few adjustments to the bike.

And if the tank isn't big enough, switch it out. I picked up a 3.3 peanut for $200 on ebay. it is the same length, just slightly wider, and it will make it so you can do more than 100 miles between fueling.

Give it a shot, try a new seat and shocks, if you don't like it, switch it back to stock, trade it in and get the SB and sell the spare parts.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a 08 streetbob....hated it....ride was hard, harder than a sportster (yes, I had it set to the soft setting on the shocks), and I could never get comfortable, I changed seats and handlebars and still ...also i didn't reallycare for the mid controls...also the top of the tripletree is molded for the handle bars so I had a hell of a time getting risers for it....my 00 softail rode way-way better...

Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 AM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSmith526
I think it really is a matter of just switching some parts out.

And if the tank isn't big enough, switch it out. I picked up a 3.3 peanut for $200 on ebay. it is the same length, just slightly wider, and it will make it so you can do more than 100 miles between fueling.

Give it a shot, try a new seat and shocks, if you don't like it, switch it back to stock, trade it in and get the SB and sell the spare parts.
Yeah I'm thinking I may have to try swapping some things out first. The 3.3 peanut tank is a good idea for longer trips. I was wondering about finding something with a similar profile but more capacity.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:58 AM
JLSmith526
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Just look for a used peanut 3.3 gallon from some 07-12 sporty (to make sure it has efi). I think I saw one on the classifieds here recently, otherwise try eBay. There was a recent post from someone else that also did this, just look for tank swap. They all said it was super easy, so that is an option.

Just keep all the old stock parts just in case you change your mind.

Originally Posted by therealjohnny5
Yeah I'm thinking I may have to try swapping some things out first. The 3.3 peanut tank is a good idea for longer trips. I was wondering about finding something with a similar profile but more capacity.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 250 Likes on 159 Posts

Is that MSRP trade program only available to you if you're financing both bikes through H-D? They didn't have that option back when I bought my Sportster, but, I'm interested in how it works.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:02 PM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Chad1200
Is that MSRP trade program only available to you if you're financing both bikes through H-D? They didn't have that option back when I bought my Sportster, but, I'm interested in how it works.
Hey Chad, Yeah basically I bought my Sporty in October so I get to trade my bike in for a big twin (new) anytime over the next year and I get full MSRP back towards the new bike.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll assume that both bikes are 2013's and you can get the Street Bob for MSRP of $12,999. Therefore, the difference is $2,400. For that, you get the 96 cu in. engine with a 6th gear. I like the 2013 Street Bob better this year than in the past, but it wouldn't be enough to get me to trade in my 48. I don't care for the chrome bars, narrower tire, etc. Plus, I love my 48.

Now, I'd be very tempted to get a 2013 Softail Slim if that offer were open for that bike.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 PM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
I'll assume that both bikes are 2013's and you can get the Street Bob for MSRP of $12,999. Therefore, the difference is $2,400. For that, you get the 96 cu in. engine with a 6th gear. I like the 2013 Street Bob better this year than in the past, but it wouldn't be enough to get me to trade in my 48. I don't care for the chrome bars, narrower tire, etc. Plus, I love my 48.

Now, I'd be very tempted to get a 2013 Softail Slim if that offer were open for that bike.
I feel you bro. I love my 48. I have a girl that want's to ride with and I ride all the time and only see it going up in distance. I can trade in toward any bike. And yes I'm considering the 2013. I did test the slim once already and didn't like it, but I'm going back and test riding again. I did the fat bob and didn't like it after two rides.

I'm with you I don't like chrome all that much, nor do I like the skinny front tire. I would throw in the extra $350 and get the 103 from the factory though. I for some reason think the sixth gear and added weight would make me more prone to do interstate rides, where I try and avoid it as much as possible right now. Though I think the interstate is lame and back roads are much nicer rides in general, sometimes it's not possible or practical. So those are some of the reasons I'm considering.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 AM
desertrat702
Cruiser

I was in the same postion as you 6 months ago and now there is a street bob in my garage. i loved my 48 the fat front tire, the peanut tank but i just couldnt go anywhere with it. putting gas in it every 2 days was getting old and its not very comfortable on longer trips. i could of got a larger tank but i dont really like the look of 3.3. There was 2 directions i was going to take the bike spend a bunch of money to make it comfortable with new suspension, seat, larger tank. Or cut some stuff off put a more uncomfortable seat on it and make it a hard tail. I didnt really like either option as my daily driver. Ended up with a used 2012 sb with 300 miles on it i bought at the dealer.
I dont feel like the sb is slower that my 48, it is smoother at speed. i dont miss the fat front tire at all it was nice and stable at speed and ate up rain cracks but it made the bike slow to transtion in the twisties. 6th gear on the sb is all but useless until you hit 75 im lucky to get out of 4th around town.
Im glad i ditched my 48 that being said i think it looks cooler than my sb and i check craiglist a couple times a week looking for a pre 2003 sporty to cut up.

Quick Reply: 48 lover to...Street bob???