Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48 lover to...Street bob???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48 lover to...Street bob???

Here it comes...

So I bought my 48 and have a full MSRP trade in within the year from purchase. I love...I mean LOVE my 48. She's peppy and hella fun. I posted for opinions over on the Dyna thread and I need my fellow sportster riders words of wisdom too.

To start, I'm not looking for "which is better" because I know full well it's all in personal preference. I ride every day. Mostly city, some interstate. Average speeds 55\60 and below with most being in the 45-55 range. I like to scrape my pegs and I do so regularly. My question to the Dyna types was about the Street Bob handling. I know it's not the same as my 48, but I'm curios as to the comparison.

From you guys and gals, I'd like to hear ideas to fulfill my needs with my beloved 48. The thing about the SB that appealed was the amazingly smooth ride and the top end room it had. Now I can't go dropping a 6th gear into my sporty, but is it possible to get a more comfortable ride for a guy who does regular rides of 100+ miles and daily commutes?

Mind you my bike is fully stock. I'm not dumping $$ until I know I'm keeping it. I love how nimble it is, the 2.1 gallon tank doesn't offend me at all. I love the look, I prefer the fat front tire as there are a number of grooved and metal decked bridges and roads around these parts.

So anyway, have at it my fellow Sporty guru's. And thanks in advanced for your input.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all preference. If you fit (or can make yourself fit) on a Sporty, like the speed, and can handle it well, I'd say stick with it. The only reason I could see going to something else is if you can't fit on it comfortably.

If comfort is the decider, look into new shocks and springs. If necessary, take a look at forward controls, a new seat, and new handle bars.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 PM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by X04D
It's all preference. If you fit (or can make yourself fit) on a Sporty, like the speed, and can handle it well, I'd say stick with it. The only reason I could see going to something else is if you can't fit on it comfortably.

If comfort is the decider, look into new shocks and springs. If necessary, take a look at forward controls, a new seat, and new handle bars.
The 48 has forwards and the thing I like about them over the Dyna forwards is they're actually closer, which for me is more comfortable...short legs and all I guess. I'm 5'10" and 172 athletic. So I totally fit comfortably on my sporty. I prefer the narrow bike feel over the wider Bob for the most part, but I'm sure I'd adjust. It's really that comfort level I'm looking for while keeping with the nimble quality of the 48.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Sporty, Dyna, Softail and Touring … I’ve owned them all.

If it was me, 100 miles ridden every day = Softail or Touring

Old 12-20-2012, 10:00 PM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Sporty, Dyna, Softail and Touring … I’ve owned them all.

If it was me, 100 miles ridden every day = Softail or Touring
I don't know that I'd enjoy a touring model in traffic but I get the idea for comfort. As for softails, all I've ridden is the slim and I didn't like it. I do enjoy the feeling of riding a motorcycle. The balanced engine on the softails was almost too smooth.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 PM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Thought about the Softail Slim? It's kind of an overgrown 48 that would suit your needs better

Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by therealjohnny5
I don't know that I'd enjoy a touring model in traffic but I get the idea for comfort. As for softails, all I've ridden is the slim and I didn't like it. I do enjoy the feeling of riding a motorcycle. The balanced engine on the softails was almost too smooth.
Understood. Try a Road King. Very easy bike to ride with the same engine balance as a Dyna.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
Thought about the Softail Slim? It's kind of an overgrown 48 that would suit your needs better
Rode it and it felt like a prius it was so smooth. lol. I didn't like it honestly.

Understood. Try a Road King. Very easy bike to ride with the same engine balance as a Dyna.
Sweet! I'll take that into consideration.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep ... that's what the LEOs ride. They handle great in traffic.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 PM
redrub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Road King and a Sporty?

Now that's just crazy talk! =:^)

Quick Reply: 48 lover to...Street bob???