Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "new" Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My "new" Sportster

Today, a few hours after selling my Dyna, I picked up its replacement: a 2006 Sportster with nearly 24,000 miles on it, for $3800. It appears to be an 883 Custom?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...492299542.html

The front tire will be replaced. The end of the rear fender is damaged. Maybe it could just be bobbed, a little. And the fuel tank has a couple belt buckle scratches to touch-up. Also noticed a dripped drop of oil shortly after riding it home, about 40 minutes of mostly freeway. It looks like the rocker cover gaskets are weeping; probably some blow-by? Though the motor felt good and tight and, in fact, the whole bike felt new. But, above 60 mph, the engine sounded like it was screaming its guts out and needed an overdrive. The Screaming Eagle slip-on's will be swapped for stockers as soon as I find some.

Handling was noticeably lighter and quicker than the Dyna. Had plenty of power. Kind of a lope-ey idle. The Vin #, 1HD4CJM396K4xxxxx, shows it was originally an 883 but the seller claimed it was 1200cc. Is there an easy way to tell if it's been converted?

Really don't care for the skulls or the forward controls. Figured I'll find somebody who'll want to trade for their stock ones. It is possible, isn't it, to easily switch to mid controls from another model? Even the drag bars could be swapped for ordinary pull-backs, but I might try to get used to them.

It did not come with manuals so I will shop for them immediately. And I'll want to add a q/d windshield and a set of large, heavy leather throw-over saddlebags, just like I had on the Dyna. A search might turn up other discussions on these.

What do you think of this bike? Was I an idiot? Likes? Dislikes? Any tips for me? Pics? Links?

Old 12-27-2012, 05:48 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats. Yes, its an 883C

Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice bike, but too much chrome for me.

But now's the time to make it yours! To me, reverting back to stock would be a great idea, and although there should be plenty of mid's out there from people who've done forward conversions [Craig's list, eGAY,. etc.] I'd let it ride for a while, you might end up liking them after all.

As far as reverting back to the stock appearance I'm all for it! I've kept my bike pretty simple, with only a couple mods...Khrome Werks tapered slip ons that mimick the original mufflers [with an obviously louder note; surprise!], a K&N Air Charger intake, and a Power Vision tuner, and that's it. I refuse to change every cover, grip, peg or whatever over to the forever played out skull/whatever trinket because I think it looks tacky. I'd rather see owner fabricated custom parts and additions than store bought any day of the week, seeing as I'm a welder/fabricator. In fact, I'm presently working on and gathering materials for replacing the horseshoe breather return tube on my intake to banjo fittings, stainless steel lines and a fab'd stainless steel puke tank, all polished, just because I want it to be different.

As far as the engine upgrade, from the looks of the cooling fins, those cylinders look aftermarket; look around them for any info stamped or cast into them which will be a giveaway.

The gearing on the Sporties are different and most here who get on one from another bike think there should be another gear! I suppose it depends on your driving style but I don't find the gearing to be an issue for my needs.

And definately get yourself a manual; like a Bible to a Christian, it's needed for your sanity, and is always relied upon for good information and the correct path to take!

Best wishes with it and ride safe.

=8^)

Old 12-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Rick7938
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably still has the 883 gearing.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It's not screamin', just tellin ya it's a Sporty, not a Dyna! Leave the gearing for now, while you get used to your new bike.

If you go to Harley's website and the Owners tab you should be able to download an owners manual. That will save you a few bucks, but the factory service manual is well worth spending out on.

I agree about the skulls, I have never understood that as a 'styling' exercise! I would get rid of them asap.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, the forward controls are the first thing I must change, after the slip-on's. That I'll never get used to.

Last night I ordered some (mostly used) manuals:

Owners
Parts
Service
Electrical diagnostics.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Congrats on your new ride!

Sportys like to rev.

Even with the little bit of work you outlined, sounds like you got a great deal!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
surazal54
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 883 sold it to get an older 1200 for the taller gearing and it had less mods on it , also put it back to the nice quiet stock mufflers, and got rid of the custom chromed wheels that were pitted horribly from salt I would bet being driven in NY ... so now it has a nice pair of cast stock 13 spoke wheels which I will black out with a rattle can of lacquer paint for $10 can't see waisting money on powder coat ... been painting things for years and never could see the cost ... lacquer buffs out beautifully over the years ... and is easy to touch up with a q tip and some spare paint which will blend right back in ... keep it simple and enjoy ... been driving and fixing bikes since I was 18 and now just turned 58 and ain't stopped riding yet ... good luck and enjoy

Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The market for forward controls usually appears strong. I'd think that you'll easily sell those.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Kinda like the skulls myself.I will be actually putting the Willie G derby cover and timer cover on my Nightster soon.Enjoy the new bike.It looks great.

Quick Reply: My "new" Sportster