Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Sportster Lovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for Sportster Lovers

As some of you may know (since I mentioned it on another recent thread), I'm considering buying a Sportster as a second bike to my 2005 EGC. This question is intended for riders who have been riding their Sportster for a minimum of two years.

Here's the question. Why do you ride a Sportster instead of another Harley?

Is it because the Sportster is cheaper than other Harleys?

Is it because the Sportster is fits you better?

Is it because you like the ride or acceleration of the Sportster better?

Some other reason?

One final question. If someone offered you a Super Glide, Low Rider, or Fat Bob that was the same year and in similar condition (overall) to your current Sportster as an EVEN TRADE, would you take them up on the offer? Why or why not?

Thanks for your views.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

Price and performance are the reasons I bought a Sportster. I would trade for a big twin, if it's comparable in condition to my Sportster. Reason is big twins are better suited for riding two-up.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 PM
gant
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

id trade for streetbob no problem lol

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior

i had a big twin FXSTC but it was bloody too heavy for the sorta roads i ride

Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Owned my sporty for over 2 years before I went with my superglide. They are fast, fun bikes....As far as a second bike...kinda depends on how old you are. The sportys will beat you up a bit. I went with the dyna because it had just as much "fun factor" in the twistys but was also a much more comfortable bike to ride.

You can get a 5 year old dyna for around 6k+, you can get the sporty cheeper, the markey is flooded with them and they are hard to resell. If you buy a dyna used you probably wouldn't lose anything if you decided to get rid of it.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put about 50,000 miles on my sportster 04 1200r . I never wanted a BT. I'm 52 years old just put a deposit down on a suzuki drz400sm. I would own another sportster(still own ) but wanted to go in a different direction.

Last edited by turn8a; 01-01-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

I've always had metrics in the past, mostly dual-sport bikes. I've always wanted a Harley, but never pulled the trigger. I decided this year that it was time, and to hell with whatever was stopping me from doing it. I decided that I wanted a softail, and shopped around, read everything there was to be read about them. I went out and checked out a few, and just decided they were too damn big!

I've always felt it is better to be able to really RIDE a bike, at or near it's potential. It's a better, safer, more enjoyable experience (IMO), and if the road presents a problem in your path, you'll be much better off in terms of being able to deal with it. I just didn't feel like the softails were "flickable" at all. Not nearly, actually.

SO, I started looking at the Nightsters, which I think are one of the best looking motorcycles ever built by anybody, anywhere! I just always thought they would be too small for me. After checking a few out,I found that they fit me like a glove and I pulled the trigger and brought one home. I've been having a blast with it, and don't regret the decision one bit. Plus I saved a ton of money on what I was prepared to spend on a softail. If I had it to do over, I'd make the same decision!

Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my sportster bc it was what I could afford a month after graduating from college and moving home. I grew up racing dirt bikes and my sportster handles a lot like a dirt bike (nimble and easy to throw around).

If I was offered a trade it would have to be an FXDX or Streetbob

Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
jl28
Cruiser

To answer your question yeah, I'd trade for a fatboy,but thats not going to happen.I have no interest in dyna models,to me they are just a little bigger bike at twice the price.I've owned three sportsters,a roadking and an electroglide std.Not at the same time .My ex also owned a sporty which I could ride anytime.Because of money priorities I had to get rid of the touring bikes [payments]and pick up another sporty just to keep riding.But,not a bad thing for me cause I like sportsters,always have.A sportster is fast, a blast to ride,cheap ,handles good and is ''just a bike''.Its not a big, expensive,overdone contraption rolling down the road with air ride,heated comfort.[My eg was so comfortable I almost fell asleep on it twice]I'll never have another bike with a fairing on it again,but I would get another roadking.You can pick up a nice sportster anywhere for around 4k more or less.Bang for the buck.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
barncat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved my XL883C! I traded into it for cheap. A buddy of mine has it now(he has 2 sporties and won't own a BT unless it's OLD SCHOOL) Which is one of the reasons i like the Sportsters, nostalgia.
My XL was a second/solo bike, but I rode the wheels off of it. They are fun as all get out, and handle like a top(by Harley standards) Not to mention they have the classic potato-potato sound.
I would NOT trade my BT for a Sportster, but that is merely for financial reasons. If all things were equal, yes. But not with today's book values.

Quick Reply: Question for Sportster Lovers