Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Bicentennial Edition Restoration!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM
HRK123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Bicentennial Edition Restoration!

Just started my latest project, a '76 Bicentennial Edition Sportster. I'll post updates to this thread, and you can also follow more details on this build at my blog here:

http://www.aaronsrestoshop.com/categ...nnial-edition/

I sold a car a few months ago, and the buyer's brother came by the shop to help him take the car away. He mentioned that he had an old Sportster in his barn, and asked if I was interested. At that time, I wasn't prepared to take on another project or spend the money on one, so I passed. Months later, the same guy knocks on my door and tells me he really needs to get rid of it. He says it's a Bicentennial Edition with only 4,000 miles, and the price was too good to refuse. I've never seen one a Bicentennial Edition in person, so I followed him back to his shop, and this is what I found:

Looks like it hasn't been touched in 30 years. The last inspection sticker was from 1985. It was put away with only 4000 miles - this bike sits in the same configuration as it did when it left the showroom floor, dealer options and all. Options appear to include an exterior oil cooler, auxiliary gauges on the handlebars (cylinder head temperature, charging amps, and oil pressure), and dealer-installed backrest. And of course, the unique Bicentennial paint scheme:

With almost 30 years of dirt on it, in addition to 30-year old gas and oil inside, it needs some work - but it doesn't appear to be damaged in any way, the motor is not locked up, and spot-cleaning reveals chrome and aluminum that is in almost brand-new condition underneath the layer of dirt. In fact, the dust likely preserved the polished surfaces from the elements all these years.

My goal with this project is to give it a restoration one piece at a time, to bring it back to near showroom condition. HOWEVER -I will not be modifying, changing, or improving anything on the motorcycle, and I won't be re-plating or repainting anything - the original finishes will be preserved. I'll also be restoring the bike mechanically to get it running again, that's the extent of it. It will stand as an unmolested piece of American history.

Last edited by HRK123; 01-27-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 PM
HRK123
Cruiser

A few more photos after bringing it home today:

Started cleaning and polishing some test spots to gauge the best method of doing the rest of the bike.

There is a lot of work to be done, but I'm taking extra care not to harm the existing surfaces. Nothing will be re-chromed or re-painted, the original coatings will only be preserved and cleaned.

Once I determine the best plan of attack, I'll be treating each piece with the same care. Then, mechanical restoration will begin to get it running once again.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is so cool- cant wait to see the cleaned up bike... congrats on the find!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by HRK123
My goal with this project is to give it a restoration one piece at a time, to bring it back to near showroom condition. HOWEVER -I will not be modifying, changing, or improving anything on the motorcycle, and I won't be re-plating or repainting anything - the original finishes will be preserved. I'll also be restoring the bike mechanically to get it running again, that's the extent of it. It will stand as an unmolested piece of American history.
I'm glad you said that. Rebuilt & re-painted, the bike would have very little value. But restored, it will certainly have a much greater value. Good find, glad you acted on it.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Looks great! My first Harley was a new '74 74" and there a lot of familiar parts on your 'new' bike.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 AM
nc883
Road Warrior

Glad to see you snatched it up and plan on giving it the respect and care it deserves!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

WOW ... Great Find !!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM
kraznos
Banned

Holy **** that tank is wild, hope you can get it going without any huge problems, looks like the right person found it so good luck and please keep the posts coming!why is there a ****ing caddy add that has to be exed out of on every ****ing picture on this forum lately, how much money did the owners get to annoy the **** out of everybody?Tattoo that **** on your forhead.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 AM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice find. Are the add on gauges marked Harley Davidson or are they after market? I've never seen those on a bike or in the old P&A catalogs.
WUZFUZ

Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 AM
taz ride
Road Master

Sweet find.. Wish it was mine..

Quick Reply: 1976 Bicentennial Edition Restoration!