Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing Aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
ccstarnes7
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing Aluminum?

Hey guys! I'm new the forum and I recently became a Sportster owner about 2 months ago. It's a 1995 883 sportster custom and is my first bike. I was hoping to get her cleaned up in my spare time and polish the primary and heads. However when I tried I used Mothers Aluminum polish and it didnt do anything for it. I was wondering if this was a special type of aluminum? My dad owns a shovelhead and the polish worked great for it. However it does nothing for me. Any suggestions on a type of polish that would work?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use White Diamond Metal Polish: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/950-023. Most Harley dealers should have it. It takes a lot of elbow grease to get it to polish aluminum that's in bad shape. I used it about a dozen times before the aluminum started looking good. Don't use it on chrome as it's too harsh. Your Mother's polish will probably accomplish the same thing if you use it many times. I know Mother's makes good stuff. Hope that helps.

To try to get an even better polish, I'm going to get the Mothers PowerCone:
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05146_b.html

Mothers PowerBall Mini:
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05141_b.html

Haven't tried them yet but they come highly recommended.

May also try Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish if necessary:
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101_b.html

-Beer

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 01-28-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's in bad shape, get some green scotch brite pads, and mineral spirits, once you get through the crust and get it somewhat uniform, move on to wet dry sand paper use a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish washing liquid and keep it wet while sanding, work your way down thru the higher number grits till you get a nice smooth surface, then get a buffing wheel, some rough and a drill motor and make that bitch shine!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Most of the polished aluminum on Harleys is clear coated and the aluminum tarnishes under the coating. Take some wax or polish and if it comes off the color of the wax then it is cleared. If it comes off black then it is not cleared.
If it is cleared then you need to strip the clear.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Most of the polished aluminum on Harleys is clear coated and the aluminum tarnishes under the coating. Take some wax or polish and if it comes off the color of the wax then it is cleared. If it comes off black then it is not cleared.
If it is cleared then you need to strip the clear.
Good advice. For what it's worth, my cases, heads and mags are not clear coated. I have an '08 XL Standard.

-Beer

Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM
ride2tires
Road Master

This is what I use for my non-cleared aluminum. Works great!
Follow it up with a HIGH QUALITY wax and looks good for most of the summer, even after washing many times.

The problem I consistantly ran into with the aluminum- I would get it looking great, then after one washing it would look dull again.

This process works great for me.

Last edited by ride2tires; 01-28-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

there is a product called "purple" and they also have a pre cleaner....stuff is amazing! you can find it online or anyplace that sells trailer truck parts...truck stops sell it too

Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM
groverhd
Tourer

How do you remove the clear safely?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by groverhd
How do you remove the clear safely?
Any good paint remover will work, and not hurt the aluminum. after you get the clear off then you need to polish it. This get more involved since the aluminum has tarniched/oxidised under the finish. Best to wet sand it. I usually start with 600 and see what it does, then 1000, 1500 and then use a buffer with rubbing compound, then a polish compound. everyone has there favorite but I just use turtle wax's and have had good results.
you can buy regular aluminum buffing compound, i get a lot of stuff from Tar hill. They specialize in buffing wheels and compounds.
for a buffer i use a four inch angle grinder with a six inch buffing wheel.
you can do it by hand but will take a while.
Here is a picture of me polishing my lowers on a grinding wheel.
I also use the same pad on the four inch angle grinder for polishinig on the bike. You can also use a regular buffer.
I am just getting started in this shot.
I Cant find a finished one.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 01-28-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Scotch-Brite for a rotary drill, approximately 5” diameter, worked great for the primary cover, cylinders and cases. Scotch-Brite pads (green) are best for everything else. Just like sanding wood … go with the grain or direction you prefer, as it will leave sand marks. FYI – I’ve done this on all chrome, aluminum, tank and fender on my Sportster.

Attached Thumbnails Polishing Aluminum?-1sporty-pics-jan-2013-018.jpg   Polishing Aluminum?-1sporty-pics-jan-2013-025.jpg   Polishing Aluminum?-1sporty-pics-jan-2013-039.jpg   Polishing Aluminum?-1sporty-pics-jan-2013-047.jpg  

Quick Reply: Polishing Aluminum?