Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Question 883 won't start just clicks.

So I got a new AGM battery cuz I bike wouldn't start. That fixed the problem rode for about 2 weeks and tried to start it in the morning and bike just clicked. I have all lights & gauges but but just clicks. I thought the battery again but how could it die so fast. Well next put it on a charger on the bike it starts up. Take it off try to start it no luck. So just changed the relay for ***** and giggles but that didnt work either. Anyone have similar issues. 96 883 sporty....thanks guys
*96 Sportster 883 ----hardtailed by david bird 2" stretch 3" drop. custom leather spring solo seat, bakers chaindrive conversion(ek xring chain), bomb oil tank, barrell grips, moon eyes air cleaner, shorten 8" legacy bars, relocated speedo, relocated coil, custom cloth wires, custom battery box, custom paint & air brushing.
*05 Super White Kawi Ninja ZX6R 636 tons of mods hate to bore yall.....
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intense883 View Post
So I got a new AGM battery cuz I bike wouldn't start. That fixed the problem rode for about 2 weeks and tried to start it in the morning and bike just clicked. I have all lights & gauges but but just clicks. I thought the battery again but how could it die so fast. Well next put it on a charger on the bike it starts up. Take it off try to start it no luck. So just changed the relay for ***** and giggles but that didnt work either. Anyone have similar issues. 96 883 sporty....thanks guys
You answered your own question... When you hooked it up to a charger and it started that confirms that the battery charge is not sufficient. Charge the battery!

If it continues to discharge over a short period of time (few days or a week or two) then you either have a defective battery or some short draining the battery.

2002 Deuce
2011 Ultra Limited
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Banned

It sounds problem after a mass. Check all ground connections. Cable release, spray with WD40, re-tightening. Connectors clean the battery.

Sorry for my wrong english. I come from Germany.

Good luck
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
You answered your own question... When you hooked it up to a charger and it started that confirms that the battery charge is not sufficient. Charge the battery!

If it continues to discharge over a short period of time (few days or a week or two) then you either have a defective battery or some short draining the battery.
I know that the battery will fix the problem(we used another battery also to start it) but like u said it will drain over a period of time. Not sure what would be draining it????
*96 Sportster 883 ----hardtailed by david bird 2" stretch 3" drop. custom leather spring solo seat, bakers chaindrive conversion(ek xring chain), bomb oil tank, barrell grips, moon eyes air cleaner, shorten 8" legacy bars, relocated speedo, relocated coil, custom cloth wires, custom battery box, custom paint & air brushing.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Platinum Sponsor
DKCustom dkcustomproducts

It may that the bike is not charging it properly as you ride.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Custom View Post
It may that the bike is not charging it properly as you ride.
Yes that's what we are thinking.

When we start the bike with the battery charger and then turn the charger off, with the bike idling it'll be at low 12 V then high 11 V and then upon idling the bike and holding the revs it will be down to mid to low 11 V but the bike runs and drives fine then you turn it off and it won't start you just get a click click click click click.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Road Captain

Is your stator output up to spec ?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Road Captain

Quote:
Yes that's what we are thinking.

When we start the bike with the battery charger and then turn the charger off, with the bike idling it'll be at low 12 V then high 11 V and then upon idling the bike and holding the revs it will be down to mid to low 11 V but the bike runs and drives fine then you turn it off and it won't start you just get a click click click click click.
Thats too low , it should be above 12vdc , slightly over 13 on that new of a battery , you might have got a bad one .
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopit View Post
Thats too low , it should be above 12vdc , slightly over 13 on that new of a battery , you might have got a bad one .
It ran for a good two weeks After I got the new battery About 300 miles. And then just overnight the bike wouldn't start.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Road Captain

Quote:
It ran for a good two weeks After I got the new battery About 300 miles. And then just overnight the bike wouldn't start.
It could be that battery was defective or , your stator is starting to fail or you have short that's drawing it down. A good battery shouldn't fall below 12.something volts with the bike running , fully charged newer one should be around 13 before you hit the starter.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 PM

P