Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2007 Sportster Acts Like It's In Neutral. NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM
ScapeGoat
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2007 Sportster Acts Like It's In Neutral. NEED HELP!!!

Yesterday while I was riding with a friend we decided that it would be a good idea to do some burnouts. When I was doing it my back wheel started spinning and then it just stopped. I never heard or felt anything break. It seems to be able to shift through the gears just fine, but it acts as though it is in neutral no matter which gear I put it in. My clutch lever feels normal when I pull it in. It feels like it shifts out of neutral normally and the neutral light goes off. It starts up and runs great, it just seems like it stays in neutral. I can just roll the bike around no matter which gear it's in. My belt and both front and rear drive sprockets look fine. I'm guessing that my clutch is stuck or something, but I really have no idea what is causing this. Please help! Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so please let me know. I've searched all over a few forums but haven't found any leads.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

"Burnouts" can have a tendency to burn the clutch out.Sounds like this may have happened to your bike.

Last edited by Brion B; 03-03-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM
ScapeGoat
3rd Gear

Thanks Brion, I'm going to open it up and take a look at the clutch. I hope that's all it is.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Seriously doubt you could burn up a clutch so bad that in low it would not drag enough to go into low and drag the bike fwd unless the clutch was way out of adjustment and already slipping. Once you get that small area of a tire spinning there really is not a lot of load. However if it were to creep forward and lock up it could put a tremendous shock to the drive train since the rear tire would be acting like a hudge flywheel. I would thinks if it had you would have heard something breaking. Not sure were the weak link is in a Sporty. Hope you didn't find it. Do not think Harley designed it with a shear pin and breaking parts dropping down into spinning gears could be thousands of dollar repairs. Push it fwd with key off not holding in clutch and shifting to low to see if it will fall into gear. If it will, then up into neutral (make sure it is) and start it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-03-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to check out this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...esnt-move.html

Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM
ScapeGoat
3rd Gear

Thanks hhkiwi, That was a good thread. I pretty much have the same exact circumstances. I tried adjusting my clutch to no avail. I drained the trans and it was almost bone dry! I pulled the primary off and was hit by the stench of burnt trans fluid. I ran a magnet through the burnt fluid that did drain out and it didn't really have any metal shavings in it so I'm hoping that I caught the dry trans soon enough for it to have caused any major damage. I need to order a clutch spring compressing tool so I can pull the clutch out and go from there. I'm going to get back out in the garage to pull the secondary drive pulley to make sure that's not stripped out. I really appreciate all of the help. Please keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScapeGoat
Yesterday while I was riding with a friend we decided that it would be a good idea to do some burnouts.

I'm sure we all can say we did things that seemed like a good idea at the time and it came back to bite us.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 PM
ScapeGoat
3rd Gear

Nubz, Story of my life... Hahaha... At least we can learn something from it.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ScapeGoat
Thanks hhkiwi, That was a good thread. I pretty much have the same exact circumstances. I tried adjusting my clutch to no avail. I drained the trans and it was almost bone dry! I pulled the primary off and was hit by the stench of burnt trans fluid. I ran a magnet through the burnt fluid that did drain out and it didn't really have any metal shavings in it so I'm hoping that I caught the dry trans soon enough for it to have caused any major damage. I need to order a clutch spring compressing tool so I can pull the clutch out and go from there. I'm going to get back out in the garage to pull the secondary drive pulley to make sure that's not stripped out. I really appreciate all of the help. Please keep the ideas coming! Thanks.
You should be able to see visually if the secondary pulley/shaft is stripped out or not. No need to actually pull it unless you really want to be thorough.

No metal shavings in the fluid is good, because that means it's not catastrophic. I think the clutch will be your solution. It only takes a few hundredths of an inch to throw those things out of whack, and burnouts (although fun!) aren't what they were designed for.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
ScapeGoat
3rd Gear

Well, I purchased an extra plate kit with tool from Energy One last night. I was half asleep when ordering it online and failed to notice that they are located about 30 mins away from me. So now I wait for that big brown truck. Once I get it I will give you all an update.

Quick Reply: My 2007 Sportster Acts Like It's In Neutral. NEED HELP!!!