Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage Options for an Iron (and your pics please)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
mjk82
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an Iron, but it's basically the same thing. Personally I like the RevPack. They're simple throw-over bags, you don't need any extra hardware like support brackets. just slip'em on and off. They're sturdy, very durable, and break down into a small size so they don't take up much space. Best part is, they're a small, American made company.

here they are on my bike. they're a little crooked because i just threw them on and hadn't adjusted them yet.

and this is the article that sold me on them.
http://dev.thunderpress.net/Articles...Rev-Pack_bags/

they work great and they keep the profile of the bike down so they don't look bulky.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kriega 20L & 10L tail packs:

Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi folks,

Not an Iron either, but a little bit of wrenching to get me a detachable, clean luggage solution: Took a Tour-Pak rack base (53655-04) plus install kit, a
Touring Sidecar Rack (53669-89) and two half-inch chrome spacers, then drill, wrench, done (a black rubber plate glued to the base platform nicely covers the holes).

A
throughout H-D, rock-solid custom rack equally suited for the day shopper or for a three weeks holiday.The rack base fits over the stock 2up seat, so no mods needed there. The rack is wide enough to comfortably tie your rolls or bag. And for bar hopping, leave the whole rack at home.

Attached Thumbnails Luggage Options for an Iron (and your pics please)-rackfull.jpg   Luggage Options for an Iron (and your pics please)-rackside.jpg   Luggage Options for an Iron (and your pics please)-racktop.jpg   Luggage Options for an Iron (and your pics please)-packed.jpg  

Last edited by Eisentreiber; 03-26-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Rick7938
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eisentreiber
Hi folks,

Not an Iron either, but a little bit of wrenching to get me a detachable, clean luggage solution: Took a Tour-Pak rack base (53655-04) plus install kit, and a Touring Sidecar Rack (53669-89), then drill, wrench, done.

A
throughout H-D, rock-solid custom rack equally suited for the day shopper or for a three weeks holiday.The rack base fits over the stock 2up seat, so no mods needed there. The rack is wide enough to comfortably tie your rolls or bag. And for bar hopping, leave the whole rack at home.

Brilliant solution!!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
lovergoof
Intermediate
Default Nightster w/ sissy bar & Kriega bags on Luggage Rack

Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM
LADJ
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ls1
Heres my iron with viking bags, i am also planning on getting a sissy bar bag for weekend trips.

that's a beautiful bike my brother! I love what you're doing with it!

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
I'm looking into getting viking bags for my 48 but I cant figure out how they fit with the turn/tail lights. can you post some more pics and let me know what you did to relocate the lights?

thanks!
I'm pretty sure they have a tail light relocation kit available....let see if I can find a link.
http://www.vikingbags.com/universal-...saddlebags.htm

Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Rodri
Intermediate

Viking Cruise Tail bag, cheap throw over saddlebags and tool bag from Jafrum... enough for 5100 miles in 16 days.

Luggage Options for an Iron (and your pics please)-xvy0q1dl.jpg

Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi lovergoof,

The max load on that sissy bar rack is marked as 5lb I guess it can hold up more.

I'm also looking at sissy bar -tail bags, found couple interesting bags from xelement (google Xelement Tail Bag)

Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For weekenders and trips that last more than a day or two I just add a backpack bungeed to the sissy bar. Otherwise the HD throw over saddlebags consume most everything I need.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 PM
lovergoof
Intermediate

Originally Posted by izhd
Hi lovergoof,

The max load on that sissy bar rack is marked as 5lb I guess it can hold up more.

I'm also looking at sissy bar -tail bags, found couple interesting bags from xelement (google Xelement Tail Bag)

Hi there! The sticker on my sissy rack says "10 lbs". With that being said, I believe H-D put this on there for legal reasons (they don't want people sitting on the rack - which I don't know why anyone would, or loading 100+ pounds on it) and I don't blame them.

I've ridden 400+ miles with the sissy rack packed and it's still solid. The bike doesn't handle that different (aside from the weight offset, obviously) from solo riding, even with a passenger.

P.S. I thought it was weird when I got the rack - what's the point if I can only put 10 lbs as LUGGAGE? So, I tried it my way.

Quick Reply: Luggage Options for an Iron (and your pics please)