Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Yellow Sportster 48 180mm rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:49 AM
harley497
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello from Moscow. As I continue to receive PMs from you guys from time to time on a wheel, just small update for the forum. Since the upgrade I put several thousands miles on it, no problems at all. As I wrote in original post, its quite tight on the rear end, I mean clearances, but still it works like a charm.

On left side, one of fender bolts rubs tire a little but, just leaving small silver trace on the tire. Looks like I need to grind a bit more on that side, but as far as it does not seem to have any influence on handling, I keep it as it is now. Just too lazy to unbolt the whole thing, just wanna be riding and riding.

I know others did sucessfull install of 17" wheel, and one guy here did rewiring of his stock 48 wheel hub to a wider 5" rim and it also went good. So my solution is not only one and in case you want to go for a wider wheel, there are options around, just do the search.

Meanwhile I did a bit of airbrushing to the tank. Kinda monogram, otherwise its just too much of 48s around) Cheers.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Ruslan, great feedback. Sunny here in the UK as well at last - looks as if summer has finally made it!

Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harley497
Hello from Moscow. As I continue to receive PMs from you guys from time to time on a wheel, just small update for the forum. Since the upgrade I put several thousands miles on it, no problems at all. As I wrote in original post, its quite tight on the rear end, I mean clearances, but still it works like a charm.

On left side, one of fender bolts rubs tire a little but, just leaving small silver trace on the tire. Looks like I need to grind a bit more on that side, but as far as it does not seem to have any influence on handling, I keep it as it is now. Just too lazy to unbolt the whole thing, just wanna be riding and riding.

I know others did sucessfull install of 17" wheel, and one guy here did rewiring of his stock 48 wheel hub to a wider 5" rim and it also went good. So my solution is not only one and in case you want to go for a wider wheel, there are options around, just do the search.

Meanwhile I did a bit of airbrushing to the tank. Kinda monogram, otherwise its just too much of 48s around) Cheers.

Great job on that tank! Looks great I think!
Looks totally sweet with that fat 180 tire on there too! Seen people asking for more close up pics of your installation, so if you got any please post them.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:25 AM
Captainruss
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very tastefully done tank. You kept the main color and did a far better job with the graphics and still gave a respectful acknowledgement to the fact that it's a Sportster. Well done, sir.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

48's are such good looking bikes!! Great job done with the wheel/tire modification.

Tank art work looks great. Very cool look!!

Old 11-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Bobber48
Stage I

Hello harley497. Could you send me also your 5" wheel spec please. So did u just buy the outter rim from HDwheels and use ur own hub etc??

Thanks

Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM
maurtis
Novice

LOVE what you did with the tank, great work!

Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 PM
PSU
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Bike and rear tire looks amazing.

LOL that license plate is HUGE.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:38 PM
nightstermass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you tell me more about needing to cut the fender i know you grinded the inside of struts. And bobbed the fender further did you need to cut anything from the inside of the fender After reversing the fender bolts?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:44 PM
harley497
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, long time ago promised clearance photos. Sorry for the shitty photos, dust somehow got inside iphone's lens(

Tire to belt clearance

Pulley to fork clearance, view from above

Grinded (to make it flat inside) fender struts

As I wrote, clearances are pertty tight but it worked fine for me for two seasons and seems nothing's going to stop it. Yeah and this winter I'm going for fender fixed to the fork, so struts are off already) Cutting was the easiest part, now trying to figure out new fender setup...

Quick Reply: A Yellow Sportster 48 180mm rear