Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rejetted Carb - Lost some Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Cooptown54
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rejetted Carb - Lost some Power

I'm fairly new to motorcycles and just bought myself a Harley Sportster lastsummer. The bike is a 2001 and the previous owner had put a lot of work intothe bike. From what he told me it has SE racing cams, SE ignition module,K&N, straight pipes...blah blah..you get it, he hopped it up.

So, last year the ignition module went out and was replaced by a stock Harleyone. The bike ran great for about 5 months but just recently had to go backinto the shop due to it fouling out plugs and running poorly. This was really odd because I had rode thebike 2 weeks earlier and it was fine. It’skept in a garage so it wasn’t sitting in the elements.

After the ignition module was swapped for the stock Harley one, I did noticethe bike seem to lose a little power. I was ok with it because I figured it wasdue to the stock part vs. the SE part and it still had some good get up and goleft in it.

Fast forward 5 months to today - I Just got the bike back from Harley and itagain seems to have lost some power. It runs good but I feel it’s not as fastoff the line as it used to be. They rejetted the carb from 45 slow to 42 slowand 180 main to 155 main. The slow seemslike a small jump but the main seems like a huge jump.

My question is:
Is it to be expected that I'd lose some power or did the tech just jet thebike back down to "safe" setting and disregard my upgrades? Should I be questioning his work?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Did you check your sparkplug color before having work done? 42/155 is too small if you have upgraded pipes, cams, aircleaner, etc. 45/180 sounds about right to me.

Check your plugs, they are probably showing a lean condition now. There was no reason for him to touch your jetting, I'd ask him, WTF?

Also, check your throttle cable to see if you get wide open throttle, that might be part of the problem.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 04-11-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Did you check your sparkplug color before having work done? 42/155 is too small if you have upgraded pipes, cams, aircleaner, etc. 45/180 sounds about right to me.

Check your plugs, they are probably showing a lean condition now. There was no reason for him to touch your jetting, I'd ask him, WTF?

Also, check your throttle cable to see if you get wide open throttle, that might be part of the problem.

John
+1 - Not even a stock 883 comes with 155 main, that's way too small.
BTW - what motor, 883 or 1200?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Cooptown54
6th Gear

I was just looking through the old service receipts trying to figure outwhat was installed and came across this information on the bike.

883 converted to HI-PO 1200 kit
Buell heads and Rings
SE 25 Cams
Thunderslide kit
SE ignition and wires (now stock Harley ignition)
K&N air filter

The plugs were fouling out within 5 min of starting the bike.

What I did before I took it to the shop:

Cleaned K&N
Drained tank and checked/cleaned fuel filter
replaced vacuum line going to petcock
replaced spark plugs and gapped to .30 ( that’s what the old ones weregapped at)

Last edited by Cooptown54; 04-11-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooptown54
The plugs were fouling out within 5 min of starting the bike.
Under what conditions? Sitting with the enrichener pulled out? And it ran fine for you before taking it in?

If it ran well before they changed the jets, then that is the obvious place to start. The original jetting sounds fine, but I'm not familiar with the Thunderslide and if your slide needle may need adjustment. You need to return it to how it was and then assess your spark plug condition. With a carbed bike, that's your best indicator of jetting.

John

Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'ld say your choke cable needs replacing. My guess is its not staying in after starting.
How long do you have the choke on after starting?

Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Cooptown54
6th Gear

Under what conditions? Sitting with the enrichener pulled out? And it ran fine for you before taking it in?

If it ran well before they changed the jets, then that is the obvious placeto start. The original jetting sounds fine, but I'm not familiar with theThunderslide and if your slide needle may need adjustment. You need to returnit to how it was and then assess your spark plug condition. With a carbed bike,that's your best indicator of jetting.

John
It wouldn't stay running without the enrichener out all the way... I even tried to warm the bike up holding the throttle at about 2500 rpm with the enrichener off but would stall out as soon as I put it in and let the bike idle. I'd check the plugs and they would be fouled out. I pulled them and cleaned them but got the same results. After trying everything mentioned above I decided it was out of my hands. I'm just worried that having the bike jetted the way it is, my performance parts are not being utilized to the fullest.

Last edited by Cooptown54; 04-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,052 Likes on 569 Posts

A 155 main on a c.v. with that combo! Holy smokes! That is danger zone!!!!!!!! My gosh....ludicrous

Old 04-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,052 Likes on 569 Posts

What are 25 cams? 497S, 536s or 575s

Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Cooptown54
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Madnss
What are 25 cams? 497S, 536s or 575s

That's what was printed on the service slip when they did the install. All I know is the last owner said they were screaming eagle racing cams.

Danger zone??? what do you mean?

Quick Reply: Rejetted Carb - Lost some Power