Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Bars - 2012 Sportser 883 Super Low

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM
pma
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Bars - 2012 Sportser 883 Super Low

I've searched through the forums a bit and can't seem to figure out how to install drag bars on my '12 Sportster SL (i) without having the bars touch my tank during turns and (ii) given the stock riser/triple tree makeup. I'd also like to invert my mirrors to the bottom on the bars, so I'm thinking I may need additional clearance in an effort to not ding up my tank.

Has anybody added drag bars to their '12 Sportster SL, and, if so, how was it done? Any pics and/or advice would be very much appreciated!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:37 PM
jojoenglish85
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they make drag bars with less than a 4inch drawback? if so, then there is your answer for sure. You should rock that bad boy with a broomstick bar.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
pma
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jojoenglish85
Do they make drag bars with less than a 4inch drawback? if so, then there is your answer for sure. You should rock that bad boy with a broomstick bar.
A broomstick bar is actually what I'm looking for. Thanks for the clarification. Would I need some sort of risers with a pullback in order to avoid leaning too far over the tank while riding?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
jojoenglish85
Road Captain

From what i seen...I don't think you do, but i guess you couldn't go wrong with 1inch or maybe 2inch risers. I don't think you will be hitting the tank without any risers at all, but im sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if im wrong. have you tried youtubing some vids and see what others are doing?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM
pma
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jojoenglish85
From what i seen...I don't think you do, but i guess you couldn't go wrong with 1inch or maybe 2inch risers. I don't think you will be hitting the tank without any risers at all, but im sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if im wrong. have you tried youtubing some vids and see what others are doing?
I've been on youtube and other forums but not finding anything on the 2012 Sportster SL's. A lot of info out there on the old models (different tank) and on Irons.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Zane Nelson
Advanced

I just recently bought those, not my pictures on the amazon image thing but it gives you a good idea anyhow , its an 883 with them installed. However these bars work really well for me the dimple is on the correct side so you can install everything without filing anything down. Though it seems like it would make them fit a little better if you did.

I would also recommend the stock 883 handlebars flipped, however that is a very leaned forward ride which I personally like and makes for highway speed easier without a windshield. The stock bars will have to be filed down however to have them fit right and the flipped mirrors might be a little to short to see past your knee caps.

My 2 cents anyhow good luck!

black 1" drag bar bars 28" wide harley chopper customs dimpled new : Amazon.com : Automotive black 1" drag bar bars 28" wide harley chopper customs dimpled new : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
pma
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Zane Nelson
I just recently bought those, not my pictures on the amazon image thing but it gives you a good idea anyhow , its an 883 with them installed. However these bars work really well for me the dimple is on the correct side so you can install everything without filing anything down. Though it seems like it would make them fit a little better if you did.

I would also recommend the stock 883 handlebars flipped, however that is a very leaned forward ride which I personally like and makes for highway speed easier without a windshield. The stock bars will have to be filed down however to have them fit right and the flipped mirrors might be a little to short to see past your knee caps.

My 2 cents anyhow good luck!

black 1" drag bar bars 28" wide harley chopper customs dimpled new : Amazon.com : Automotive
The picture in Amazon is of an Iron - did you instal on a Superlow? Also, what do you mean by flipping the stock bars?

Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Livia329
Cruiser

I'm not personally after drag bars but I also want to invert the mirrors but I saw that they'd hit the tank in turns.

Why are these SL's so awkward compared to other sportys?? I've had issues with engine bars (made for the correct year etc) touching the forks too.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:53 PM
pma
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Livia329
I'm not personally after drag bars but I also want to invert the mirrors but I saw that they'd hit the tank in turns.

Why are these SL's so awkward compared to other sportys?? I've had issues with engine bars (made for the correct year etc) touching the forks too.
Hopefully manufacturers start making new parts for our SLs. What'd you end up doing with your mirrors?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM
pma
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Livia329

I've got some crash bars on my SL that don't touch the fork - directly from HD.

Quick Reply: Drag Bars - 2012 Sportser 883 Super Low