Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Grips?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 AM
HazzSportster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Grips?

I have been debating installing heated grips on my Sportster. Some have told me they are great while others have told me they are a waste of money and to just get heated gloves. Personally, I would prefer to go with the heated grips if they do truly work. I would like to get your thoughts/opinions on which option is best based on your experiences. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM
hogsport
Road Master

I have the heated grips & use them most months of the year. I like thinner gloves and the heated grips really make a difference on chilly rides. Probably no the answer for exterme cold riding, but I am not tough enough for than anymore. Mine are the Demon Grips like these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/symtec-heat-demon-grip-warmers?utm_source=product&kwd=&adtype=pla&kw={key word}&gclid=CMvPpJ6d17YCFaYWMgodt3AApg

Pretty easy insall. Very satisfied.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

With out a wind deflectors for your hands, heated gloves are a better option.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I have heated grips on my quad and even plowing snow I can wear thin comfortable gloves at -30 degrees for hours on end, it has a high/low switch which is a nice feature as your hands can get too hot & sweaty on the high setting, maybe look for that feature.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM
JeffKill
Tourer

Depends on how low of temps you'll be riding in, what kind of speeds you'll be going and how long you'll be riding for.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered my bike right away w/ heated grips. That's a no-brainer in Central Europe, and spared me the effort to work on installation and electrical.

The factory grips come w/ settings 1 through 6, of which I haven't used any beyond 3. Six is probably 'deep frying'. Very convincing.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM
HazzSportster
Intermediate

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the advice. I like riding with thin gloves myself which is why I want to go the route of the heated grips. Just want to be able to continue to ride when the temps drop below 32.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
HazzSportster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hogsport
I have the heated grips & use them most months of the year. I like thinner gloves and the heated grips really make a difference on chilly rides. Probably no the answer for exterme cold riding, but I am not tough enough for than anymore. Mine are the Demon Grips like these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/symtec-heat-demon-grip-warmers?utm_source=product&kwd=&adtype=pla&kw={key word}&gclid=CMvPpJ6d17YCFaYWMgodt3AApg

Pretty easy insall. Very satisfied.

Very Cool. Thanks for the info. I didn't even know these existed. I like the idea that they allow me to use the grips I already have.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've had heated grips on several bikes and if you fit them on yours you will always be able to turn them on, regardless of what you ride out with. A late summer evening can get darned cold over here, so if you set off wearing summer gear, warm fingers will help get you back! So I would fit grips first. If you find heated gloves are worth trying, your grips will still be there.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

There is a great fallacy in the reason why hands get cold. Only when you core temperatures begins to drop does your body pull heat from extremities. As far as heat retention mittens are superior. Used to ride snowmobiles for hours with unheated grips in mittens and a snowmobile suit that kept my core temp comfy. Wind-chill only affects uncovered skin. Wind proof fabric suffers no temperature degradation. I have an LL Bean Jacket and with any decent physical effort I'm soaking wet at 10F. Its rated for -25F Relaxed I can take the cold for hours on end.

With that being said I don't find it enjoyable to ride for any distance under 40F with any gear on. My riding season is April to November Temps 45 in spring to 90+ in summer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heated Grips?