Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$73 dollars for fluid change on sportster!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 05:06 PM
akhdrider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question $73 dollars for fluid change on sportster!

I just got my first Harley last summer.
It had 5400 miles on it.
Got it from the dealership.
It had been gone through, new fluids, everything tightened up... serviced... inspected. That was Last summer.

So, getting it out of my dining room this week as the snows have finally melted.. I went to the local Harley Davidson shop to find out what fluids I need and how much the cost is so I COULD CHANGE MY OIL AND FILTER and start out the new summer with new fluids and filter.

I was shocked to find out 4 quarts of engine oil, a filter and 1 quart of primary fluid is $73.00! (NOT FOR LABOR AND PARTS, JUST THE OIL AND FILTER COST)

OMG!

I CAN CHANGE THE OIL, 5 QUARTS OF TOP GRADE SYNTHETIC and get the filter TOP BRAND OIL FILTER FOR SYNTHETIC OIL for my Jeep for half that!
My thoughts are why on earth would the oil and filter cost so much for my Harley?

I am hoping there is a better way, synthetic oil that is just as good without the Harley Davidson Label?

Not that I want anything other than the best oil in my bike.. but, OMG, $73.00 for fluids and 1 filter?

Any thoughts from experts out there?

Attached Thumbnails  dollars for fluid change on sportster!-945990_189693884518154_954451850_n.jpg  

Last edited by akhdrider; 05-12-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:15 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by akhdrider
It had 5400 miles on it.
It had been gone through, new fluids, everything tightened up... serviced... inspected.
So, getting it out of my dining room this week as the snows have finally melted.. I went to the local Harley Davidson shop to find out what fluids I need and how much the cost is....

I was shocked to find out 4 quarts of engine oil, a filter and 1 quart of primary fluid is $73.00!

OMG!

I CAN CHANGE THE OIL, 5 QUARTS OF TOP GRADE SYNTHETIC and get the filter TOP BRAND OIL FILTER FOR SYNTHETIC OIL for my Jeep for half that!

I am hoping there is a better way, synthetic oil that is just as good without the Harley Davidson Label?

Not that I want anything other than the best oil in my bike.. but, OMG, $73.00 for fluids and 1 filter?

Do you go to Jeep to buy your oil and filters for the Jeep? If not, why would you go to Harley to do so for the bike?

Walmart - 5 quart jug of Mobil-1 15w-50 synthetic is ~$28.00 and beats the hell out of what HD is selling you.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:20 PM
jerryw618
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Well sportys only use 3 quarts of oil. i pay 10.00 for a filter here in Pa. and 7.00 for the primary fluid. i do my own fluid changes just did one 3 qts oil (18.76), filter (10.00), primary fluid (7.00) total 35.76 that doesnt include any labor which is about 85.00 hr . seeing as you are in AK prices for things are quite a bit higher.

get yourself a manual some basic tools and learn your bike its nice to do your own maintenance and take care of your own bike i can spot any problems while working on it learn its idiosyncrasies. and take pride in your ride and abilities to maintain it.

PS: love Alaska one beautiful state. i ride year round here in Pa. even in the cold and snow , but ive got nothing on you in AK.
ride safe, ride often.

Last edited by jerryw618; 05-12-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior

All you need from the stealership is the filter (and maybe not even that), Save your money and follow cHarley's advice and a lot of other guys on here. And you are doing it yourself right? If you think $73 is bad, just wait till you see what labor costs on a "simple" fluid change.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM
gunnerchevy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy here in Canada and you'll feel raped at the dealer. Trust me we get screwed here. Thats why i go to the states a lot and get work done or buy my upgrades for my bike

Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer

Originally Posted by akhdrider
It had 5400 miles on it.
It had been gone through, new fluids, everything tightened up... serviced... inspected.
So, getting it out of my dining room this week as the snows have finally melted.. I went to the local Harley Davidson shop to find out what fluids I need and how much the cost is....

I was shocked to find out 4 quarts of engine oil, a filter and 1 quart of primary fluid is $73.00!

OMG!

I'd reconsider storing your bike in your house. I use to park my bike in my living room until I found out that my homeowner's insurance policy would be void in the case of a house fire. Any vehicle indoors is considered an accelerant which voids the fire policy. Now I store mine outside with HD cover.

-Beer

Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, changing your oil yourself could not be any easier. I always did mine. Next time do it yourself.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:56 PM
cmristine
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HD stamp on any product can more than double the price. Learn to do as much labor as you can yourself, buy the right grade fluids from a bike shop, Walmart or Pep Boys and save money for the really big jobs.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Dude, changing your oil yourself could not be any easier. I always did mine. Next time do it yourself.
Originally Posted by cmristine
The HD stamp on any product can more than double the price. Learn to do as much labor as you can yourself, buy the right grade fluids from a bike shop, Walmart or Pep Boys and save money for the really big jobs.
Reading comprehension!
The OP paid HD $73.00 for the oil and filter. He didn't say anything about paying HD to change it.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just figured that was for full service, Charley. No need to have an attitude.

Quick Reply: $73 dollars for fluid change on sportster!