Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing a sportster, is the iron weak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Icepray
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing a sportster, is the iron weak?

Hey everybody,

I've been thinking of switching to a harley for close to a year and a half now, and I finally ended up selling my triumph Street Triple R to get a Sportster.

At first I couldn't decide between the 1200cb, 72 and 48.

Didn't really think about the iron 883 even though I find it's a beautiful bike cause I was told that it's quite slow (by the dealer) seeing as I'm coming off a sporty bike (mind you I'm in 25kwh restriction, which is lifted next week).

So I rode them all (except the 1200cb but I didn't like the look of the tank haha so I wrote that one off).

I loved the black look of the 48 and the mini apes of the 72 so instead of getting all the chrome off a 72 I was gonna go for a 48 and throw some apes on it.

Then I found a used Iron 883, 2013model with 1200km (745miles)
akrapovic pipes/side mounted plates/passenger footpegs+2up seat -> that's about 2200$ worth of mods here in switzerland.

The bike is basically new and it's going for a bit less than a 883 brand new.

So now I'm stuck because I love the look, I need the 2 up for my girl and I can just throw on some apes and add forward controls.

I'm just sort of scared of the lack in torque coming off a Street triple.

I'll be paying 11'000 for the iron over the 14'200 for the 48 where I'd need to add about 2000 extra for the pipes side plate and pegs (apes and all can wait till I have fun with it's orginal set up)... so basically 3000 grand if I chose a stock 48.
Oh and the larger tank on the iron is welcome because i often ride a total of 70miles to one of my workplaces and back, which is basically a tank on the 48.

So am I making a big deal about the smaller engine or not, knowing I'll be going 2up (I'm 175lbs and my gf about 100lbs). I mean I don't want to spend 5minutes to overtake a car .

I honestly love both but I'm a bit hesitant cause of the engine size, I don't wanna be spending cash on a 48 in 6months =)

That's the iron on sale.

ps: I forgot it also comes with 1.5years of guarantee, which is always nice.

Last edited by Icepray; 05-26-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Go ride it.
You can always put a 1200 kit in it.
Or just get a Dyna.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:54 PM
jsl36
Intermediate

nvm your in another country... so prices and currency is different

Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM
yoitsmebenny
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came from a sport bike as well (CBR600) and have an Iron. I really miss the power of the CBR, not gonna lie. I'm considering a different Harley now, like a Softail Slim or a VRod to get my power fix back.

I'd make sure you test ride the Iron (especially on the highway) to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:06 AM
Icepray
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Pistonman1
Go ride it.
You can always put a 1200 kit in it.
Or just get a Dyna.
A dyna is 18000+ stock here =) expensive country haha

Originally Posted by yoitsmebenny
I came from a sport bike as well (CBR600) and have an Iron. I really miss the power of the CBR, not gonna lie. I'm considering a different Harley now, like a Softail Slim or a VRod to get my power fix back.

I'd make sure you test ride the Iron (especially on the highway) to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
Yeah this is what I'm afraid of, I want something a bit less aggressive where I don't find myself riding at 100+mph all over the place, but I do enjoy a quick acceleration here and there and going up a mountain.

I'll just have to test ride them one after the other, but I'm pretty sure I'll like the power of the 1200 but price wise the 883 haha

Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 AM
laroc
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think overall handling is equally important as power especially on the european roads.
The European IRONs have 13" inch shocks which makes a big difference to conering or taking long sweeping bends.
Something you would appreciate on those fantastic roads in Switzerland plus coming from a Speed Triple and if intending to ride two up.

Good luck with your choice, I'm loving mine.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Icepray
6th Gear

Originally Posted by laroc
I think overall handling is equally important as power especially on the european roads.
The European IRONs have 13" inch shocks which makes a big difference to conering or taking long sweeping bends.
Something you would appreciate on those fantastic roads in Switzerland plus coming from a Speed Triple and if intending to ride two up.

Good luck with your choice, I'm loving mine.
Honestly I think I'd be happy with either one and the money I'll have left over can go in lots of goodies I'll have about 3grand left over from what I put aside, I'm gonna go ride it on Wednesday so we'll see, I doubt I'm going to be disappointed, originally I wanted an iron but the dealer said for a bit extra I get a bigger engine, but as this one comes with pipes and 2up for less than the price of a new one...

Good deals on harleys in Europe are quite rare especially on 2013 models

Another good deal is this one:

72 2012, 2800km

I like the set up but it's a 3hour drive from my place just to go see it haha need to take a day off

Last edited by Icepray; 05-27-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 AM
WristpinKnock
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

The 883 motor is way under-stressed as it comes from the factory. They respond very well to decent stage one upgrades (2 into 1 or good exhaust, air cleaner, quality EFI tuner like PC5 or PowerVision) I've seen dyno's with 40%+ increase over stock output...but, even then, you're never going to match a high-output multi-cylinder like the Speed Triple.

Its a different kind of ride...think more like a vintage Bonneville with modern reliability.

BTW, doesn't Switzerland have very strict laws regarding modifying stock motorcycle engines? One of the guys on the Sportster Forum said you can get heavily fined for just getting caught with non-OEM mufflers?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Sensei Jim
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my Iron. It has enough power for me now. I do want to up grade to the hammer 1250. The kit plus a turner will set me back about $1200. When the moneys right I'll do it. Should you go with a 1200 from the start? That's all up to you. I liked the looks of the iron over the 48 and they had stopped making the nightster. The 72 wasn't out yet. But I still would have gone with the Iron do to the bigger tank.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:55 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

you can make the iron a little bit faster with enough money and knowledge, but it still won't be what you are used to. you need to go for the test ride with an open mind because it is gonna be different. the sportster has a lot of things about it to attracted people, however the speed isn't one of those.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing a sportster, is the iron weak?