Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Analog tach combo fuel gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 AM
giorgioguidolin
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problems. I check two times the distance between sensor and pipe and it was just fine. I never have las than 1/2 tank. I realized that the low gas indicator is ON when the Sensor inside the tank is completely exposed, and the level is lower than the original one. Before i had the warning light at 100 mls and now it goes on at 130, just in time to refill.
I unplug the connector with the jumper and the indicator goes to empty and the yellow light goes ON but as soon i re plug in it return to 1/2 tank.
I think than there is nothing that we can do it. or the sensor is bad and give a wrong signal. I am not sure how its work but i think the fuel sensor metering the resistance that the fuel create at the different level, but because there is not setting that you can create the relationship between the reading value and the speedometer, if the sensor has came with a wrong resistance it mess up the entire reading.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Phillip W
Intermediate

Anyone find a solution for this yet? I just had this happen to me, too. Exact same thing. Gauge registers to half a tank normally, then starts counting UP the MTE and the 3/4 tank light eventually comes on, with the low fuel light shortly after.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:12 AM
littledragon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rdunnill
Has anyone gotten this fuel level gauge to work?
I have the tach/speedo with the fuel sensor on my 09 Sporty with 4.5 gallon tank. The dealer did the install and I have had no problems with it yet. Guess I got lucky.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Phillip W
Intermediate

Originally Posted by littledragon
I have the tach/speedo with the fuel sensor on my 09 Sporty with 4.5 gallon tank. The dealer did the install and I have had no problems with it yet. Guess I got lucky.
I've called several different dealers and they thing the actual Speedo is bad. The sensor is obviously good because it is sending the signals, including the low fuel level. I'm still waiting to hear back from a dealer in L.A. to see what they think. All I can find so far is that it's a rare issue that comes up.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:34 AM
Murat K.
2nd Gear

Hey guys,

I have the same fuel gauge problem with my 2011 XL 1200 X since I installed the Combo Digital Speedometer/Analog Tachometer (P/N: 70900274) and Fuel Level Sensor Kit (P/N: 61200008). The low fuel light comes on, but the fuel gauge never drops below 1/2 tank (2 bars).

Anyone got a solution for this problem yet? Feels like I wasted $150 on the Fuel Level Sensor that doesn't work...

Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 PM
sdlsaginaw
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I gave up on it. I already swapped the sensor and it made it WORSE. Didn't make it in to the dealer over the winter and the warranty is now expired on the gauge.

With this sensor it gets to 1/2 tank even later than the first, then near the end will go back to 3/4 and to full. I took a pic of it to show the dealer, with full bars and a happily glowing low fuel light.

At least with the current setup the low fuel light works. The old magnetic switch used to light it up with a full tank running down the freeway.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by sdlsaginaw
Yeah, I gave up on it. I already swapped the sensor and it made it WORSE. Didn't make it in to the dealer over the winter and the warranty is now expired on the gauge.

With this sensor it gets to 1/2 tank even later than the first, then near the end will go back to 3/4 and to full. I took a pic of it to show the dealer, with full bars and a happily glowing low fuel light.

At least with the current setup the low fuel light works. The old magnetic switch used to light it up with a full tank running down the freeway.

i stick to the trip odometer never fails. round town refill at 65-80, highway 90-100. reset at fill up. all for free
(3.3 gal tank w/ ***#### rider, YMMV)

Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 AM
Robert Strohl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by littledragon
I haven't had any major issues w/ mine either. The only thing mine has done was gone off for a second or two and then come back on.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rdunnill
Has anyone gotten this fuel level gauge to work?
Nope mine is the same exact thing going on. Taking it in next week to the dealership to see what's up.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:13 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

This is the exact reason I just always use my odometer. When I installed mine I had the change the fuel sender resistor on my 07,since 08-up have a different resistance value. Sometimes when I read this I wonder if the jumper causes the resistor to fail and a $10 resistor may fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Analog tach combo fuel gauge problem