Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Analog tach combo fuel gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:07 PM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrier
I cannot find a photo. Still looking.
Barrier

Thank You. I found it. It was on the opposite side of the instructions. Of course.

Last edited by crawrj; 10-21-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:53 PM
crawrj
Tourer

OK I was finally able to get out with the bike. The fuel level is working for me with the sensor. I was just happy to be able to ride so I forgot to do any statistics but when I fill up the tank tomorrow I will start gathering actual data. But it is working. It dropped each bar at what felt like the right times. And it dropped all the way down to one bar. Over the next few fill-ups I will post my findings here.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 AM
RavenBlack
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crawrj
OK I was finally able to get out with the bike. The fuel level is working for me with the sensor. I was just happy to be able to ride so I forgot to do any statistics but when I fill up the tank tomorrow I will start gathering actual data. But it is working. It dropped each bar at what felt like the right times. And it dropped all the way down to one bar. Over the next few fill-ups I will post my findings here.
Good to hear. Thanks for posting this I appreciate it. I'm curious if the Remaining Miles works? How accurate is it? Let us know anything else you find out.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:35 AM
crawrj
Tourer

Originally Posted by RavenBlack
Good to hear. Thanks for posting this I appreciate it. I'm curious if the Remaining Miles works? How accurate is it? Let us know anything else you find out.
It does work as far as showing and counting down. Not sure how accurate it is yet. But I will be tracking stats on it going forward. I know the speedo has to learn anyway so I figure it will take a couple or so fill-ups before it is dialed in. But I will post results of each fill-up over the next few. I rode on the last bar for a good while before I took it to the station. Put in 3.4 gallons of gas. Everything reset fine so I will update once that tank is gone.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:14 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

It does work as far as showing and counting down. Not sure how accurate it is yet. But I will be tracking stats on it going forward. I know the speedo has to learn anyway so I figure it will take a couple or so fill-ups before it is dialed in. But I will post results of each fill-up over the next few. I rode on the last bar for a good while before I took it to the station. Put in 3.4 gallons of gas. Everything reset fine so I will update once that tank is gone.
I'll be watching this thread as well. On my wife's '13 Iron, when the
low-fuel light comes on, the gauge is never on the lowest bar....

thanks,

T.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM
crawrj
Tourer

Originally Posted by WKNDS
I'll be watching this thread as well. On my wife's '13 Iron, when the
low-fuel light comes on, the gauge is never on the lowest bar....

thanks,

T.
The light does come on early. Mine came on somewhere into the two bar range.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

The light does come on early. Mine came on somewhere into the two bar range.
When you say "early" , what does that equate to in miles?

On our Iron, the low-fuel light came on at 110-115 miles before
switching out the stock sender/stock gauge. It still comes on at this
same mileage, but the new sender/gauge combo shows 2-3 bars.

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 10-27-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 PM
crawrj
Tourer

Originally Posted by WKNDS
When you say "early" , what does that equate to in miles?

On our Iron, the low-fuel light came on at 110-115 miles before
switching out the sender. It still comes on at this same mileage,
but the guage shows 2-3 bars.

T.
I don't know the specifics yet. I'll be getting that during the next few fill-ups. I just know it came on during the two bar range.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM
crawrj
Tourer

OK I made it through the first tank. Keep in mind that these numbers are going to be specific to my stage 1, riding style and riding scenario. I am pretty aggressive on the throttle. I would say that probably 60% of this riding was bumper to bumper, 30% was stop light to stop light and 10% was interstate.

The first bar went out after 30.7 miles.
The second bar went out after 40.4 miles.
The gas light came on 21 miles into the third bar.
When the gas light came on the Remaining screen automatically came up. It said 46 miles remaining.
The third bar went out after 34.5 miles.
The last bar started blinking at 18 miles into the last bar.
I drove it until it started coughing for a couple of miles. That was 27.6 miles into the last bar when I stopped for gas.
I put 4.2 gallons in.
It said it had 8 miles remaining.
Actual mileage from when the 46 remaining light came on was 41.1 miles.

I don't know how much further I would have gotten if I pushed it to empty but I don't think it would have been much longer. Ending miles per gallon comes to 31.71. That isn't very good but considering the amount of bumper to bumper traffic I sat in I guess it was OK. I am applying a new tune for the next tank full to see how the miles per gallon changes.

The speedometer does say that it has to learn so I am guessing it will take several fill-ups before it dials in. I'll try to do the same assessment on the next tank too. I'll also try to bring a gas can and run it empty next time.

Last edited by crawrj; 11-02-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM
chris_b_owens
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have bought the same gauge and fuel sensor. I have had my tank in the paint shop so I have not started to install the fuel sensor yet. I am a little worried about it since there has been so much trouble with it.

Looking at the install instructions. They look pretty specific about it not touching certain spots on the fuel pump. I wonder if the fuel stem is somehow getting jimmied around when reinstalling the fuel pump. Maybe the stem is touching something it shouldn't. Not sure, but maybe.

Quick Reply: Analog tach combo fuel gauge problem