Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forty Eight + HD solo bag + passenger pegs....it works!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:40 PM
boosting1bar
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forty Eight + HD solo bag + passenger pegs....it works!!

I know this has been brought up numerous times that the HD solo bag has a big design flaw in that it won't work with passenger pegs. This is a particular annoyance for me because after I got the bag and loved it my gf decided she wanted to start riding. She's always been adamantly opposed so I didn't want to miss the opportunity, unfortunately that meant losing the bag and going with a Lick's or LaRosa (tried both, didn't like either compared to the HD). Decided to remedy this today. So after a bit of sizing up options and drinking beers, this how I did it...

This is the end of the bracket that normally goes over the passenger peg mounts untouched.

The majority of the brace welded to the bracket sits underneath the peg bracket so I started grinding down the top surface until I got down far enough that I didn't want to lose anymore integrity on this piece.

Then I turned to the inner part of the bracket which only needed a little bit of material ground out.

Once those two pieces were ground down I test fitted and they worked perfectly. In fact if I'd had my welding stuff set up I may have even dropped a couple tacks on there but I stress tested the bracket pretty well and it seemed fine.

Nothing left to do then other than put everything on and snug it all down. Of course the pegs now sit slightly farther forward but still plenty out of my way. The RSDs are longer than the HD pegs which gives more clearance for her foot around the bag. The only real issue is the peg doesn't fold up all the way, which is also the same case with the Lick's and LaRosa bags as well anyway.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM
parrishbjj
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That was nifty!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 PM
laffin gas
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so simple....good job

Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM
aftica
Advanced

Nice mod right there bro!

You would think that HD could have made that mount to work with the pegs, or just supply some longer grade 8 or 10 bolts and spacers?

Old 06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
boosting1bar
Tourer

Originally Posted by aftica
You would think that HD could have made that mount to work with the pegs, or just supply some longer grade 8 or 10 bolts and spacers?
Yup, horrible design flaw

Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 521 Posts

Nice job! I would throw a little touch up paint on the ground areas to prevent rust.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 PM
smoOve
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great mod!! I wanna go with a better bag soon and the HD 1 looks very well put together, any pics of the whole bike with it on? Quick question, would you still have to grind and cut if you put longer spacers on the peg mount?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 PM
iFortyEight
Cruiser

Nice job man, I was just wondering about this last week, I'm going to have to do this.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:13 PM
boosting1bar
Tourer

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Nice job! I would throw a little touch up paint on the ground areas to prevent rust.
Yup, just did that this evening!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 PM
boosting1bar
Tourer

Originally Posted by smoOve
great mod!! I wanna go with a better bag soon and the HD 1 looks very well put together, any pics of the whole bike with it on? Quick question, would you still have to grind and cut if you put longer spacers on the peg mount?
The HD one is by far the best in my opinion, holds probably 3x what the Lick's/LaRosa bags can hold. You wouldn't have to grind anything with the spacers I don't think, BUT you have to flip them forward to clear the bag and I don't think you'd want spacers sticking them any further out that close to the back of your legs. My gf rode with me all day today and she said she had plenty of room. I'll run out now and snap a couple pics.

Quick Reply: Forty Eight + HD solo bag + passenger pegs....it works!!