Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System Questions for a Sportster with a Generator

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM
ih_power
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Charging System Questions for a Sportster with a Generator

My Bike - 1980 XLH 1000 Sportster. Uses a Generator, not an alternator. I have the Factory Service Manual and Factory Parts Catalog

I installed a cheapo automotive style voltage gauge on the Bike to try and get an early warning that the battery is going to die. No Kicker on my bike so it sucks when the Battery dies and I am out riding with no help close by. I know that this voltage gauge is not accurate, so don't pay too much attention to it most of the time.

Was running down the highway Sunday and glanced down at my gauges. Voltage Gauge showed almost 17 Volts. pulled over and let the bike idle. Voltage gauge went down to just under 12 Volts. Got back on the road. Any time I went over 40MPH, Voltage gauge over 14 Volts. Generator idiot light only comes on at Idle.

Read through the service maunal section covering the charging system. Scratched my head, I don't get it. Don't quite understand the info in the service manual.

Is there any easier way to check out the generator, volt regulator, etc to make sure it is not overcharging. Could get expensive if the charging system is overcharging and starts frying the other electrical systems on the bike.

Thanks!
ih_power

Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ih_power
My Bike - 1980 XLH 1000 Sportster. Uses a Generator, not an alternator. I have the Factory Service Manual and Factory Parts Catalog

I installed a cheapo automotive style voltage gauge on the Bike to try and get an early warning that the battery is going to die. No Kicker on my bike so it sucks when the Battery dies and I am out riding with no help close by. I know that this voltage gauge is not accurate, so don't pay too much attention to it most of the time.

Was running down the highway Sunday and glanced down at my gauges. Voltage Gauge showed almost 17 Volts. pulled over and let the bike idle. Voltage gauge went down to just under 12 Volts. Got back on the road. Any time I went over 40MPH, Voltage gauge over 14 Volts. Generator idiot light only comes on at Idle.

Read through the service maunal section covering the charging system. Scratched my head, I don't get it. Don't quite understand the info in the service manual.

Is there any easier way to check out the generator, volt regulator, etc to make sure it is not overcharging. Could get expensive if the charging system is overcharging and starts frying the other electrical systems on the bike.

Thanks!
ih_power
For starters, I'd suggest an ACCURATE, preferably digital, voltmeter, so you know whether or not you actually have a problem.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
ih_power
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any Suggestions as to which Digital Voltmeter to buy?