Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone seen the new HD backrest for Sporty models? (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
$250!?! for that price you could sell your solo mustang and add that to the 250 and pick up a mustang with built in backrest couldn't you?? You'd at least be in the same ballpark I think.
At retail the Mustang with backrest and pillion is close to $700. I'd be lucky to get $250 for my seat.

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
Thats what i would do if i wanted a backrest. I have the Mustang solo with backrest. Looks much better than that HD mess in my opinion.
I'm not concerned about looks. I'd like to have a cost-effective and comfortable solution. For $205, it might be a decent option.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Go for it, then give us a review; I've got the same seat and regret not getting the backrest version.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by samhallnc
Go for it, then give us a review; I've got the same seat and regret not getting the backrest version.
I wouldn't mind being the guinea pig if I knew for sure it would work on my bike. But, most places won't allow returns if it's been mounted already. Unfortunately I can't tell if it'll work unless I try to mount it.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Mustang Seats
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey there! Send us a photo and your comments to our Facebook page "Mustang Seats." We will share it with the world. Thank you, Pat Factory Rep

Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Seats
Hey there! Send us a photo and your comments to our Facebook page "Mustang Seats." We will share it with the world. Thank you, Pat Factory Rep
I don't have a FB page but I would suggest that Mustang follow suit and give people the option of a backrest for those that don't have a backrest seat.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Valerie Snetzinger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley detachable backrest

Well I took the plunge and bought the detachable backrest for my Sporty. I have a Mustang vintage solo seat and the backrest says it only fits on stock seats so have tried other options before buying this. I contacted Mustang and the only seats they have with the built in backrests are the wide versions. I got a vintage wide solo with the backrest built in but it didnt fit. I had to take the seat off to get to the oil cap. So I took the leap. The Harley back rest does fit with my regular vintage solo but I had to bend out the legs that plug into the quick release brackets just a bit so it did not bite into the seat. I just put them in a vice and cranked it a bit. Straightened them about 1/4 of an inch at the most. I love the backrest. I'm very happy i got it

Old 09-15-2014, 01:55 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Valerie Snetzinger
Well I took the plunge and bought the detachable backrest for my Sporty. I have a Mustang vintage solo seat and the backrest says it only fits on stock seats so have tried other options before buying this. I contacted Mustang and the only seats they have with the built in backrests are the wide versions. I got a vintage wide solo with the backrest built in but it didnt fit. I had to take the seat off to get to the oil cap. So I took the leap. The Harley back rest does fit with my regular vintage solo but I had to bend out the legs that plug into the quick release brackets just a bit so it did not bite into the seat. I just put them in a vice and cranked it a bit. Straightened them about 1/4 of an inch at the most. I love the backrest. I'm very happy i got it

It looks good. I ended up with the Mustang with built-in backrest. How many miles do you have on it? How adjustable is it?

Old 09-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love mine , I ordered it the day I picked up the bike.

The fore and aft adjustability is just about 4".
You can see how high it sits over the stock seat.
It should fit with many two up low styled seats.
Worth the money if you need one to ride any distance.
Mick

Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick
I love mine , I ordered it the day I picked up the bike.

The fore and aft adjustability is just about 4".
You can see how high it sits over the stock seat.
It should fit with many two up low styled seats.
Worth the money if you need one to ride any distance.
Mick
Looks great, I was contemplating buying one too. You need some lowering blocks for those shocks and you'll be set!

Old 11-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Can one of you let me know if there is a spring that keeps this backrest from falling forward on the seat when you climb off.

My wife is 5'0" and she will need to adjust it all the way forward but won't be happy if it's always falling forward on her. Thanks Folks

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen the new HD backrest for Sporty models? (pic inside)