Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what is this "fun factor" of riding a Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:30 PM
MrPeepers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what is this "fun factor" of riding a Sportster?

Ok, so I heard that the Sporty is a "girls bike", an "entry level bike", and "Half a Harley".

But I have also heard this term, "fun to ride".

It bugs my neighbor to no end, a Softail Deluxe owner, when I get the Sportster 1200C out of the garage, start the thing up with my V&H pipes, let it idle for a while, and then take off like a bat out of hell down the street on it. He can hear me three blocks away. He hates it.

It's just "fun to ride"

So what does this mean? (to you)

Here is my shot at it.

I have three bikes, the Sportster, a Suzuki GSX1100R, and a Touring bike.

I ride the Sportster the most. Why? This thing is so light, and so low, and so nible and manuverable that I can "take chances" with it and have fun. I know the Sportster will never "get away from me", if I get it a little unbalanced, I can always correct, and my feet are flat on the ground with lots to spare. It's got a big fat front tire, and it doesn't lose its grip.

The GSX1100R... too much. That thing will kill you.. and it has a high center of gravity. The Touring bike... 100 miles minumum max or its not worth taking out of the garage - too big too heavy.

That's why I ride the Sporty most of the time - what about you?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 PM
shaneK
Advanced

I ride it because its the only bike I own, a hell of a lot of fun, and I loved the look. I can take it just about anywhere I want to go. I could care less what anyone has to say about it.
Girly bike, Softy, Enrty level...whatever, my bike is badass: looks, sounds, and rides badass.

To me, I feel that the Sportster is the Introduction into the Cruiser world. If it wasnt for bikes like these, not many people would get up on the bigger larger models. There are so many of them out and around, old and new, its like brand recognition. Like seeing a McDonalds everywhere, like Ford Mustangs...ok maybe went to far...lol

Last edited by shaneK; 07-11-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:49 PM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

I enjoy the "Get-up-and-Go" of the sporty. Just hop on and ride, in a matter of seconds. I've almost had a few accidents (and i'm new to riding) where drivers in front of me would stop (and have no tailights) and even being new i was able to manuever the bike with ease like I had been riding for years. It was great to feel that in control of a bike.

Ohhh yeah, I almost forgot....and I love hunting for car alarms as well. ::GRIN::

Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I got 2 bikes, I almost always take the sporty.....................wait................... ....I own 2 sporties

Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Baldy 48
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, big bikes are for people who are too fat to ride a Sporty. Big bikes are for the same people who own huge pick-ups to go shopping at Wal-mart. Big bikes are the ultimate "over-compensating" for personal lackings.

Why do I ride a 48? If you have to ask.....

Why do I ride a off-road metric? If you have to ask...

If we take a road trip, I got a big, fat Chrysler in the garage.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
oh_yeah
Advanced

That is a difficult thing to explain, especially to those who have never sat on a Sporty, much less rode one ! I tried to explain to my wife one time and totally mystified her: harsh suspension, vibrating mirrors, noisy and so forth. It's a guy thing, I suppose.

I don't know if my own experience is typical but I've owned a lot of motorcycles including two Brit thumpers, a number of Jap bikes, both street and off-road. The minute I took my first ride on my twenty-year old Sportster, I KNEW it was the one.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM
LVNightster
Advanced

I love this "big bikes are for people who are too fat to ride a Sporty" hahaha! So true!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

My S.O. had a gorgeous XL1200C for a few months until Sandy drowned it...I LOVED that bike, now totaled. But even though I have a beautiful FXDWG, I'm thinking about picking up a 48, just for "fun" (and the S.O. can ride the 'Glide LOL)!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM
pecka13
Intermediate

Damn bikers love their sportsters

I just wanted a bike that was easy to learn to ride on, cheap, good quality, good resale value. Harley Davidson Has all of those. Plus I am very comfortable on the bike, it is the perfect size for me.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,052 Likes on 569 Posts

fun factor is having the throttle pegged and wheel in the air.

Quick Reply: So what is this "fun factor" of riding a Sportster?