Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent horn

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM
reddyford
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent horn

Problem with an intermittent horn. 2006 1200C with 5K miles on the clock. Completely stock with no recent work done (oil & filter only).

I checked the switch and all is OK there. Horn connections look good and horn itself is clean. When horn doesn't work I get a low, muffled sound.

Is there any remedy short of replacement? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Has it gotten wet lately? Rain or washed? Mine did it to me a few times and all was well after it dried out.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 AM
reddyford
Intermediate

Negative...It's been doing this since I bought it last spring. Got a couple of scoots and the Sporty is just mainly for short jaunts around the back roads. Wasn't really worried too much but would like to get it fixed. Glad it worked for the inspection a couple of months ago.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Disconnect and remove horn.

Don safety glasses then hook up said horn to 220v power supply. Hear final death screech and watch small smoke ring emit from horn.

Disconnect from power supply, place on driveway and run it over at least three times with vehicle adequate enough to make it flat.

Exit vehicle, bow to now flat horn and make a cross on your chest like you was at choych: †

Bury in your back yard or simply throw horn out.

Replace said horn with either factory or aftermarket since they're cheap enough.

And that's how you take care of that!

=8^)

Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 AM
reddyford
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Disconnect and remove horn.

Don safety glasses then hook up said horn to 220v power supply. Hear final death screech and watch small smoke ring emit from horn.

Disconnect from power supply, place on driveway and run it over at least three times with vehicle adequate enough to make it flat.

Exit vehicle, bow to now flat horn and make a cross on your chest like you was at choych: †

Bury in your back yard or simply throw horn out.

Replace said horn with either factory or aftermarket since they're cheap enough.

And that's how you take care of that!

=8^)
Ha.. Yup, may just do that!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:38 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Horn works by vibration.
A small amount of dirt or rust makes it stop working.
If water gets inside like after a pressure wash the horn dies prematurely.
Seems like your wiring is fine but horn is having an issue.
Sometimes a little tapping can get it to work again but it will die again quickly.
Depending on your type of horn a replacement is available at just about any autopart.
Brand is usually FRIAMM

Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
reddyford
Intermediate

Thanks Im...and thanks guys for the info and levity. Guess I'll replace the P.O.S. horn. I've put so much $$$ into the Vulcan on performance and comfort mods that I was hoping to spent zilch on the Sporty (except for PM's). I have to say that this is my first HD (my friends thought I'd never own one) and I'm working on beating it up in the twisty's, but it's a worthy machine and may influence my decision on an HD Bagger someday.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reddyford
Thanks Im...and thanks guys for the info and levity. Guess I'll replace the P.O.S. horn. I've put so much $$$ into the Vulcan on performance and comfort mods that I was hoping to spent zilch on the Sporty (except for PM's). I have to say that this is my first HD (my friends thought I'd never own one) and I'm working on beating it up in the twisty's, but it's a worthy machine and may influence my decision on an HD Bagger someday.
ha ha- I was about to post "just replace that p.o.s. horn"... but you already said it ! the stocker horn is total junk, and I hate the roadrunner/ way-too quite horn. I have the loudest horns I could find on my bike, my +2's bike, and all of our cages. for the sporty, be sure to find a horn that has a steel connection. my first loud replacement sporty horn actually had a plastic frame (I couldn't believe it- and it didn't last that long either- plastic broke, no surprise). now I have a steel frame/ steel horn- and they work (they stop cages from doing stupid things in front of you).

Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by reddyford
reddyman, a little levity can go a long way, eh?! HA!! Humor's great, I love it LOL...hey, 'got any pics of the bike?

=8^)

Old 07-16-2013, 02:10 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Quick Reply: Intermittent horn