Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumped…. Please Help!!!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 AM
krlancaster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped…. Please Help!!!

I have a 1989 Sportster Deluxe 883 that has been shutting off on me. It has happened 4 times in the past 2 months and so far nobody can figure out why. The Coil, plugs, & wires were changed and the petcock recently cleaned.
All 4 times have occurred within 10 minutes of my starting point and at speeds less than 25 mph. The bike just stalls and won’t restart. All of the lights are on and it tries to start but won’t kick over. Then after a while it starts up like nothing ever happened…

Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see if you are getting spark after this happens. It could be your voltage regulator overheating and shutting down till it cools off. There are ways to test out the regulator in the service manual.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ignition module would be next on my list.

If I recall correctly, when they start to go, the heat makes it worse...so they heat up, stop working, you shut off the bike, they cool down...bam working again until you heat the bike back up.

You can get a can of electronics freeze spray, and hit the ignition module with it when the bike is hot and won't run, if it immediately starts back up, you found your problem.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 PM
krlancaster
Novice

It only happens once in awhile... not every time the bike runs... I have ridden a few hours straight without incident. The 4 times it happened, It occurred within the first 10 min and few miles or so. Then afterwards ran great. Where is the Ignition Module located?

Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 PM
LVNightster
Advanced

Hey - not all that familiar with the 89's but what type of fuel pump do you have? Reason I ask is that I had a similar issue with my Sporty and ultimately found the little screen in my fuel pump was gummed up. I actually replaced it versus cleaning it and never had the problem again. Not sure if that is relevant to your situation or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by krlancaster
It only happens once in awhile... not every time the bike runs... I have ridden a few hours straight without incident. The 4 times it happened, It occurred within the first 10 min and few miles or so. Then afterwards ran great. Where is the Ignition Module located?
Trace back from the coils. The coils would be in between the spark plugs and the ignition module.

I know this is silly but...have you double checked the connections at your battery and the ground strap to the frame?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
Check to see if you are getting spark after this happens. It could be your voltage regulator overheating and shutting down till it cools off. There are ways to test out the regulator in the service manual.
A voltage regulator "shutting down" would result in the battery not recharging. The bike would continue to run until the battery was drained to the point that there was no power left to fire the ignition. At that point, the starter wouldn't crank the motor over.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LVNightster
Hey - not all that familiar with the 89's but what type of fuel pump do you have? Reason I ask is that I had a similar issue with my Sporty and ultimately found the little screen in my fuel pump was gummed up. I actually replaced it versus cleaning it and never had the problem again. Not sure if that is relevant to your situation or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck!
OP's bike is an '89. I don't believe there is a fuel pump (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Most carbed bikes I am familiar with rely on gravity or vacuum for fuel delivery, where FI/EFI bikes may require an actual fuel pump.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Pappassportster
Advanced

You are correct Thumper. The 89 sportster does not have a Fuel pump. I also agree with the ingintion being the problem, but also check you fuel cap if it is partly plugged it will do that to. Sometimes it will run with out isue than others it will shut down. When your bike does this next time try cracking the fuel cap and see if it starts. i had this same thing happen to my 88 but I have the fat bob tank on it.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:26 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by krlancaster
I have a 1989 Sportster Deluxe 883 that has been shutting off on me. It has happened 4 times in the past 2 months and so far nobody can figure out why. The Coil, plugs, & wires were changed and the petcock recently cleaned.
All 4 times have occurred within 10 minutes of my starting point and at speeds less than 25 mph. The bike just stalls and won’t restart. All of the lights are on and it tries to start but won’t kick over. Then after a while it starts up like nothing ever happened…

Click HERE for a link to a diagram of your electronic control module.

The older Sportys have issues with the main circuit breakers working intermittently prior to complete failure.

Click HERE for a link that will help.

Well, for some reason HD Forum is truncating the links and they are not working.

Here they are, you will need to put a

http:// in front of the following to get it to come up

partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=93&b=11&c=0&d=-ELECTRICAL---ELECTRONIC-CONTROL-MODULE-W/-COIL-ASSEMBLY

and the same with this one-

partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=93&b=44&c=0&d=-ELECTRICAL---SWITCHES-AND-CIRCUIT-BREAKERS

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 07-27-2013 at 03:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stumped…. Please Help!!!