Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct installation of new brake light on chopped fender...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Julie65
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct installation of new brake light on chopped fender...

hey everyone,

i'd like to install a new tail light on my choppped sporster fender and also retain the use of the signal lights. the kit didnt come with instructions and now a few questions are popping up, it looks like there are a couple different ways to do this..

im also curious about a couple of mystery harnesses, one is capped and the other is not- im assuming they are for other accessories?

the kit i got is this one:

http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...&submit=Search

as you can see it comes with a harness that is meant to plug in at the main lighting harness under the seat + attach new light. the issue is that the new harness that comes with the kit does not have slots to plug the OEM turn signals.

the turn signals originally plugged into the bracket harness behind the OEM tail light (which is no longer on the bike because it was chopped)...

so there seems to be a couple options, and perhaps there are some fixes / special harness that have been created already that im unaware of..

should i ditch the new tailight harness altogether and re-use the OEM bracket harness? just plug the new tail light directly into that and hide it up under the fender?

is there a special tail light wire harness i should be using to avoid having to reuse the OEM bracket harness from the tail light?

what would you do?! what have you done? thanks so much!

i tried to document what im dealing with best i can with pictures, hope it helps

Correct installation of new brake light on chopped fender...-jcwadsk.jpg

Correct installation of new brake light on chopped fender...-yjo9x4c.jpg

Correct installation of new brake light on chopped fender...-gxm6e7q.jpg

Last edited by Julie65; 08-12-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Dog812
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally i would just cut the wires and solder in the new light.

the black capped harness under the seat looks like the plug for a siren for the stock alarm system. Do you have a siren now?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 AM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

I have the same setup on my chopped fender. I cut the wires to the blinkers and wired them from the harness under the seat directly to the signals. I got rid of the wires that used to plug in to the old brake light. I then used the harness that came with the 3rd brake light and plugged in inline with the harness under the seat per the instructions. This way, I only had 4 turn signal wires to solder and my cuts were on the fender side of the harness. This way the factory plug stays in tact under the seat. Make sense?

Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Julie65
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dog812
personally i would just cut the wires and solder in the new light.

the black capped harness under the seat looks like the plug for a siren for the stock alarm system. Do you have a siren now?
thanks, theres no siren or alarm set up on the bike right now. i'd like to avoid cutting into the factory wiring if possible

Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Julie65
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DallasSportster
I cut the wires to the blinkers and wired them from the harness under the seat directly to the signals. I got rid of the wires that used to plug in to the old brake light. I then used the harness that came with the 3rd brake light and plugged in inline with the harness under the seat per the instructions. This way, I only had 4 turn signal wires to solder and my cuts were on the fender side of the harness. This way the factory plug stays in tact under the seat. Make sense?
hey dallas thanks so much for the info. im trying my best to follow, but im unsure of a couple things.

heres how the bike was situated before the fender was chopped... the main lighting harness is of course located under the seat, which then leads through a grommet in the fender and into a rubber tube along the top of the fender back to the brake light assembly. in all, 1) the main lighting harness, 2) the brake light, 3) both turn signals plugged into the brake light assembly.

so essentially after chopping the fender and using the provided inline harness for the new tail light there is nowhere to plug the OEM rear turn signals UNLESS i repurpose brake light assembly harness bracket.

id really like to avoid cutting into factory wiring as well as cutting the connectors off the OEM signals

Old 08-13-2013, 02:19 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Julie65
hey dallas thanks so much for the info. im trying my best to follow, but im unsure of a couple things.

heres how the bike was situated before the fender was chopped... the main lighting harness is of course located under the seat, which then leads through a grommet in the fender and into a rubber tube along the top of the fender back to the brake light assembly. in all, 1) the main lighting harness, 2) the brake light, 3) both turn signals plugged into the brake light assembly.

so essentially after chopping the fender and using the provided inline harness for the new tail light there is nowhere to plug the OEM rear turn signals UNLESS i repurpose brake light assembly harness bracket.

id really like to avoid cutting into factory wiring as well as cutting the connectors off the OEM signals
I cut the wires on the rear harness meaning after the plug under your seat, so my way damages the back factory wiring. The turn signals are hardwired and do not use a plug at the signal itself. I just cut the plugs off which used to plug into the tail light. I then soldered the wires to the appropriate connections under the seat. My center mount light plugs inline between the plug under the seat and the back harness. All wires still run through the rubber tunnel and out of the grommet.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Julie65
Intermediate

ok that makes sense, so just matchup colors on the set of wires that originally go from main harness to brake light and go for it then huh? ill probably use bullet connectors to make it easier to pull the fender off

Old 08-13-2013, 03:00 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

I cant remember if the wire colors matched up or not. I just used the wiring diagram in the service manual. Good luck. Im very pleased with the brightness of the light.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Julie65
Intermediate

i appreciate the info, thanks

Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Julie65
Intermediate

Ya, see... I thought I had this. Here's a diagram I found and thought for sure there would be a separate wire for L/R turn signals going down the main harness. The main harness does not have 19A/18A... wth

Correct installation of new brake light on chopped fender...-ceu415m.jpg

Quick Reply: Correct installation of new brake light on chopped fender...