Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Bleed Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts
Default Rear Brake Bleed Problem

In order to get passed for inspection, I had to change my tires. I figured that while I had the tires off of the bike, I would upgrade the suspension and replace the front and rear brake pads and fluid.

I now have the new tires, Progressive springs and shocks and new brake pads on Talulah. Swapping the brake fluid, however, has been quite the trial.

First, I drained the lines of all of the old fluid, which was probably a mistake. Then I added new DOT 4 fluid to the reservoir. With that done, I started the process of pumping the brake, open the bleeder valve, close the bleeder valve, release the brake. I repeated this on both the front and back until there was clear fluid coming consistently through the bleeder valve, constantly maintaining fluid in the reservoirs..

Well, last night, the front brake worked a little, but not much. The rear just barely worked but only after pumping up the brake 3 or 4 times. So, I tied the front brake lever back and placed a couple of bricks on the rear brake pedal.

This morning, the front brake works just like it's supposed to. However, the rear brake is still mushy requiring 3 or 4 pumps before pads engage, and then the rear brakes just barely work.

I'm guessing that I have an air bubble or bubbles in the line, but it won't work itself out. Does anybody have any ideas about how to void the system of this nastiness?

Last edited by Roni; 08-28-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Your guess is right! Sometimes bleeding works fine, other times you have to stick at it. You will get a zillion recommendations of products that will supposedly make your life a peach, but before doing that call in the DIY Brakes section, where you will find a Sticky with helpful tips.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

The rear is harder because of the angle of the line. Try pulling off the caliper and making it higher to help the air float up as you bleed it.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM
DallasSportster
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an air powered bleeder from harbor freight for $25. Worked like a charm and doesn't involve opening and closing the valve. You simply pull the trigger, open the valve and it bleeds itself. Remember to add fluid to keep it from sucking in more air from the reservoir.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
The rear is harder because of the angle of the line. Try pulling off the caliper and making it higher to help the air float up as you bleed it.
I was thinking about that, but I really had hoped that there would be a simpler way. Disconnecting that rear caliper and moving the hoses around is such a pain.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM
grbrown
Club Member

If you've slept since you last tried, try again. Like as not it will bleed fine after it's had it's little bit of fun!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
If you've slept since you last tried, try again. Like as not it will bleed fine after it's had it's little bit of fun!
I tried it again, when I got home from work and, well, let's just say that there was no joy in Mudville.

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!

After trying to bleed the system again without success, I did take off the rear caliper and hold it up by the seat so that all of the hose from the master cylinder was pointing up. The second time I bled it, the rear pedal got stiff.

Of course, in order to remove the caliper, I had to remove the brake pads. This really sucked because I then had to put the pads back in after I had bled the system and put the padless caliper over the rotor. Note, I did press the piston back in all of the way, which made it easier to deal with the pads.

Anyway, I took Talulah out for a test and she's a brand new girl.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM
1forrest1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to hear you got things fixed, just did a master cylinder rebuild on the rear and a steel braided line, that made a big difference, no more mush when I step on the brake.

It took some effort to bleed but after some time it bled quick and completely
(thank you jesus )lol

Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Well done Roni. If it's any consolation I've been bleeding brakes since the 70s and have owned many of the instruments of torture intended to make life easy. All of them work some of the time.....

Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

I was thinking that same thing: most of those brake bleeding tools work some/most of the time. I was tempted to go out and purchase a couple and give it a shot.

Then I got to thinking, "Gravity works all of the time and it's free." I figured that most of my desire to use the other tools was probably rooted in laziness, i.e. I just didn't want to hassle with unbolting the caliper and line.

Anyway, it worked out. Unfortunately, on the ride to work this morning, I lost the front fork pinch bolt and washers.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Bleed Problem