Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch problem, rivets came loose and gouged basket

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 05:20 PM
jcasarez2000
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem, rivets came loose and gouged basket

So I have an '07 883R. About three weeks ago, maybe a month, the clutch started to act like it didn't want to stay adjusted. Adjusted it thru the cable, then adjusted thru the cable and in the basket. Still didn't want to stay adjusted. It seemed to start out ok, would get a little loose at slow speeds then tighten up at higher speeds. Started looking on this forum to see if folks have had similar problems and sure enough I found out that H-D decided to use a double riveted spring plate for whatever reason. Well, they come apart. And mine came apart. The problem (besides the obvious) is that I might have waited a bit too long to change out the clutch. It seems that the rivets came apart and either gouged the basket a bit, or caused the friction plates to gouge the basket. I am currently attempting to use a tiny file so the new plates will be able to slide freely in the basket. Am I asking for trouble? I really don't want to replace the whole clutch basket. Has anyone had this problem? I'm taking a motorcycle class at the local city college and I ran out of time so I had to leave the bike there. I don't really like that idea but what could I do? Anyhoo, any (helpful) input would be greatly appreciated. I have pictures, but they're too big to upload.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

A surprisingly common topic on this forum. You should get lots of expert assistance. I have a 1991 that has not experienced this issue, but it seems from what I've read the later bikes may have a higher frequency of failure. Maybe because there are more newer Sporty's out there.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 09-21-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 PM
jcasarez2000
Intermediate

I guess folks got tired of talking about the crappy clutches on these sporties. I got a new Energy One clutch pack in there but it is way too stiff at the clutch lever. I know I'm missing something and I thought I saw a post where someone had a similar issue. I'll do some research and hopefully will get this resolved. I miss my bike.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:52 PM
c0jones
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcasarez2000
I guess folks got tired of talking about the crappy clutches on these sporties. I got a new Energy One clutch pack in there but it is way too stiff at the clutch lever. I know I'm missing something and I thought I saw a post where someone had a similar issue. I'll do some research and hopefully will get this resolved. I miss my bike.
Use the pressure plate/spring from the original clutch.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by c0jones
Use the pressure plate/spring from the original clutch.
+1 from what I've read.

I don't think they have a crappy clutch, you have a lot of hole shot throttle monster tire burning clutch dropping wheelie popping Sportster owners out there. I may even be one. Used like that, some will show some problems.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 09-23-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:13 PM
jcasarez2000
Intermediate

Alright, this is really embarrassing but I just want to update this post. I actually did not read the instructions correctly and ended up not putting pressure on the diaphram spring! I just kinda placed it on the pressure plate and clutch pack after I installed the spring seat and spring clip. I guess I figured the little spring on the adjustment screw would put enough pressure on the clutch, or something. Looking back, I know this doesn't even make sense. So I went back in on Thursday and corrected that situation. Just an FYI. And btw it works great now.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jcasarez2000
Alright, this is really embarrassing but I just want to update this post. I actually did not read the instructions correctly and ended up not putting pressure on the diaphram spring! I just kinda placed it on the pressure plate and clutch pack after I installed the spring seat and spring clip. I guess I figured the little spring on the adjustment screw would put enough pressure on the clutch, or something. Looking back, I know this doesn't even make sense. So I went back in on Thursday and corrected that situation. Just an FYI. And btw it works great now.

That's great, and don't feel a bit bad about it. Most of us learn from our mistakes, it's when you don't that you're in trouble.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Blew mine up too !
Had to file the burrs out of the clutch basket
Installed the Alto Carbonite clutch with the stock diaphragm and Royal Purple 20W50MC oil
Works great !