Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need turn signal help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 AM
99XL883C
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need turn signal help

I installed the bullet style front and rear turn signal lights not too long ago. The backs are a dual filament bulb (although I am only having them flash when turning) and the fronts are the dual filament bulbs for running and turning flashers. Here's the problem. After the install I checked all the wires and plugged everything back in, but the front turn signals don't come on as running lights nor do they flash when I hit either turn signal button. When I hit the turn signal button, the front and rear lights just illuminate, no flash. When I hold both buttons, the 4-way hazard lights come on as they should. Please HELP ME!!

Spinner[/align]

Old 03-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need turn signal help

You have a bad ground. Recheck the wiring.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:26 AM
brauny1
Road Master

Sounds like a fuse to me (as long as your positive you installed the right lamps), theEM's and turns are on a different circuit,check 'em, their under the seat. Course I'm speaking of my experience on a 2000 XL12000C.

My rear turns are single element, This could be a problem as well...

*edit after re-reading post*

Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

99XL883C
Are you sure the back turn signal bulbs are dual filament? Please look at the socket and tell me what you see. As far as I know, my front signal bulbs are dual filament and the back bulbs are single filament.

ORIGINAL: 99XL883C

I installed the bullet style front and rear turn signal lights not too long ago. The backs are a dual filament bulb (although I am only having them flash when turning) and the fronts are the dual filament bulbs for running and turning flashers. Here's the problem. After the install I checked all the wires and plugged everything back in, but the front turn signals don't come on as running lights nor do they flash when I hit either turn signal button. When I hit the turn signal button, the front and rear lights just illuminate, no flash. When I hold both buttons, the 4-way hazard lights come on as they should. Please HELP ME!!

Spinner[/align]

Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 AM
SimonW
Advanced

Do the light bulbs have the samewattage as the original ones?

I have had some similar problems and have been experimenting with
the light bulbs and found that if you decrease the wattage to a certain level,
the turn light module (do you have such a module?)can not handle the increase in output resistance, so the
light bulbswon't flash, only glow steadily.

The two other options are as already mentioned :bad ground or bad filaments.

I have hadthis problem only on the right hand flashers, I tried toswitch the outputs of the turn signal module so that theleft turn signalbutton turned on theright handturn signallights and found that the fault remained on the right side.
That was an indication that thereweren't any problems with the module or with the switches, only with thegrounding.
If theturn signal lights aregrounded only at the mounting bracket you might also get electrical interference, because
a single"positive"wire without ground is highly susceptible to magnetic fields. Therefore, low-voltage signals are usually carried
by grounded (shielded) cables which means that the ground/shield is parallel to the "hot" wire all the way from the "transmitter" (turn signal module in this case) to the receiver (light bulb).

Old 03-09-2007, 10:06 AM
99XL883C
Novice

The original rear turn signals are single filament bulbs, but the new rear signals are dual filament bulbs with three wires coming out of the housing. I used the two wires i needed (black and purple) to make my connection and then taped and tired off the third wire (blue). The original front turn signals are dual filament with three wires (black, purple, and blue). The new front turn signals wire up exactly the same. The brake light is also not working as a running light, like it should. I think i forgot to mention that in my original post. SO recap... no running light at the brake (both foot and hand brake levers actuate light properly), no flashing from any turn signals when button is pressed (only steady on), no running lights up front, and 4-way hazards work. JESUS-DE-CHRISTO! WHAT DID I DO?!?!

Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 AM
99XL883C
Novice

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking (I'm still not sure): it might be a bad ground, but inside the housing of the light. Anyone know how to disassemble those bullet style turn signals?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
jshall755
Advanced

Here are a couple of my thoughts:

The running lights (both front turn signals and rear taillight) could be caused by either a short or a bad fuse. Check the fuses and wiring... you even try taking out the front bulbs and see if the taillight works to determine if you have a bad bulb (are these all new bulbs?). Since these should use the same ground as your 4-ways I doubt the problem is there.

The problem with the non-flashing turn signals sounds like there may not be enough load for the relay to operate, hence the reason why the 4-way's work. Do the 4-way flashers flash at a normal rate? And, when you press the turn signal button, do both the front and rear lights light and stay lit? You're not using LED bulbs, are you?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
99XL883C
Novice

All the bulbs are new, all the blade type fuses work (I didn't check the main or any others).The 4-ways do flash at a normal rate.Yes, when I press the button both the front and rear stay lit. Maybe this is a bad time to mention this, but I am running all these tests just off battery. I am not actually "starting" and running the bike. No LED bulbs, they are standard 1157s.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

disconnect the rears and see if the tail light comes back on If so (and possible) try your old lights in the rear or at least a test light. check the turn signalflasher. Up date us and we can go one from here. 1157 bulbs have a regular and a brighter filiment. You may need to use blue black in the rear instead of purple black.

Quick Reply: Need turn signal help