Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screaming eagle vs vance & hines

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: screaming eagle vs vance & hines

ORIGINAL: 128auto

People always believe on what they have, whatever they own is seemed to be the best, the others are crap. The review is based on his feeling, just like a frog on the bottom of a well, it can only see so much. True enough? By the way, I am happy with my SEII slip-on because they are crap.

ORIGINAL: davidc

I like my Cycle Shack slipons. Cheap way to add horsepower.Vance and Hines look and soundcool, but lack in the performance department. All depends on what you want. The new SE pipes are crap, stay away from anything the Stealer tries to sell you.

????? what is this comment based on? Vance and Hines make some of the best pipes and mufflers availible. I have Vance and Hines pipes on my bike and they sure don't seem to be lacking in the performace dept. I have freinds that have them on a 2006 SE Fatboy, 2006 Street bob, and another friend with a 1200 sportster that had Cycle shack slip on that changed them to VH slip on because he did not like the quality of the chrome and they sounded tinny. When he took them off he offered them to me, but I bought new short shots instead, because IMO the cycle shack mufflers look cheap.
My Cycle Shack Slip-ons look great,just as good as SE's they just don't have SE engraved on them,they also don't sound tinny either,especially riding all weekend with my 2 buds,1 with a 04'1200C (baffles removed) & the other with a Shadow Aero 750 (baffles removed).They both want my pipes,I also have Cobra Slash-cuts on my Shadow and those are top quality and the CS look just as good also the $80 price tag really was the deal sealer for me,guy had tradedhis 1200 in he owned for a summer V&H are top quality in chrome also but are they as nice as Hard Chromes?Who knows,it's all preferance,I personally like the slash-cut look[8D]

Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
crager013
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the SEIIs and removed the baffled (took about 5 mins- just remove a bolt and pull it out).
Mine are loud as hell- car alarms go off, ppl at red lights roll up their windows, etc... But I really like the look of the short shots so I am thinking about changing.
What about Bassani- anyone have an opinion on their pipes?

Old 08-03-2007, 07:07 PM
OrangeSporty
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bassani....Well Crager, they look great sound even better but if you ride your bike more than 500 mi a year I wouldn't suggest them. I had a set on my o6 custom 1200, the pro streets. real eye turners but I was tightening and adjusting all the time. The pipes are now in the trash due to the front pipe bracket cracking. After 15000the pipe is almost cracked in two pieces.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Hawg Dog
Advanced

I really like my S/E II slash downs , Have not got to hear many others , My baffs are still in & is loud enough for me . Any one know how to modify them to give an even deeper (lower pitched) tone ?

Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 PM
rbrunyan
Cruiser

Never had the SE's, I just liked the look of the V&H. It was a good price on ebay and they went on very easy. Just loud enough and look great. That's my vote.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Sentinel
Advanced

i gotta go with V&H, love them. not too loud unless i open her up.love the fact it allows people to look for the sound so people know i'm there.

Name:  77240001.jpg
Views: 5053
Size:  139.4 KB

Old 08-04-2007, 10:52 AM
jeramy
Banned

my bike came with a set of screamin eagles (not se2's) and i love the sound, not to loud and with 1200 miles on them have a nice deep tone with no tinny sound.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeOK

I would like to follow this thread if you don't mind. I absolutely love load Harley pipes, however I need to keep mine a little quieter. Is there an easy way to get maybe 15-20% morevolume on the stockers? '07 1200N
I removed the baffles on my stock mufflers abour 3 years ago. They sound great with a very deep tone. I don't get the reversion like my buddy with the SE2's with the baffles removed. The best part is I can be as loud as the others when I'm on the throttle but it's quiet enough while cruisin and at an idle thatI can still talk to the old lady or the person riding on the right side of me. It's about 10% louder at idle and about 70% louder when you are knee deep in the throttle than the stockers were.
I used a rotozip with a metal bit to grind off the welds and had to remove the mufflers and use a jack handle and a hammer to knock em out from the inlet side towards the outlet side. Couple of whacks and they dropped right out. You may wanna try drilling the baffles first to see if that is loud enough as knockin the baffles out is a pretty permanent modification. Also if you do decide to fully remove em be careful not to be to overzealous with the grinder as you can grind throuh the chrome easily.
Happy grinding.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:48 PM
jterp
Tourer

I listened to lots of different pipes before I bought mine. The SE slip ons i heard were not very impressive. They were louder than stock, but not by much. I was told that the SE slipons from a couple years back sound better, but harley was forced to tame them down by the government or something. This is just what i heard -- correct me if i'm wrong.

The V&H slipons sound good. The ones i heard were much louder than the SE's. I ended up going with the V&H shortshots though -- they were only an additional $40 over the price of the slipons... and they sound awesome.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:50 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

Its hard to say what sounds better, without having them side by side and listening to them. I have the SE slip ons and there louder than the stock, I think they could be a shade louder but I don't want pipes that make your ears bleed.

Tom

Quick Reply: screaming eagle vs vance & hines