Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screaming eagle vs vance & hines

Old 04-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Cupcake1973
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's good to have a revival of the old every once in a while

Old 11-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just installed a set of Screaming Eagle slip on mufflers today.Happy with the result!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:08 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Love my SE SP slip ons. Loud and Harley-like without being obnoxious and street legal in all 50 states so I don't have to worry about local LEO's. The increase in HP and torque was a nice bonus on top of it!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:13 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sportster09
I have Screamin Eagle slip-on and my friend has Vance & Hines slip-on. Both bikes are XL1200 so I was able to compare them side by side. The SE has a deep throaty sound with nice rumble while the V&S has crisp mid tone sound with a little more defined "potato potato" sound at low RPMs (due to higher frequencies). The V&S sounds a bit louder when you're next to it but at a distance, the SE is still audible a block away (I think the lower bass frequency has more impact on the air movement that makes the sound more audible at a distance). In term of sound, they cover different area of the sound spectrum so it is just a matter of personal taste (I heard that the full version of V&S Big Radius has very nice deep throaty rumble due to bigger 2" heads). I love the crisp sound of the V&S too and my friend also loves the rumble sound of the SE since each lacks the character of the other. In term of performance, I have been tuning both bikes with SERT and there is no noticeable in performance on the street. In same driving condition, the SERT smart tune proposes very close VE tables for both. For slip-ons, they all have same stock header pipes so you're not likely to see much performance difference. You will have to bring them to a race track or a dyno to find the limit at very high rev.

I have been at many Harley events, SE and V&S are the 2 favorites of most Harley bikers. Harley is known for the nice rhythm of the muffler sounds. However, I do see many bikers love the loudness of the muffler instead.
Interesting analysis of the side by side comparison of the two.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:35 AM
camcarvin82
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had screamin chicken slips ons they werent bad, loud but sounded kinda tinny, went with vance and hines straight shot slip ons and im very happy with them they are loud and have alot deeper tone to them

Old 11-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotta love those Screamin chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:44 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

With the addition of a re-jet and S&S AC, I needed to open the exhaust a bit shortly after buying my bike new in 2005. Put on a pair of Cycle Shack slip-ons and the sound was great at idle and above. But, at highway speeds I found they had a rather annoying harmonic sound that drove my ears nuts. I have never like the sound and loss of mid-range performance of drag pipes so I searched around for a reasonable solution (for me). I picked up a pair of SE II's and they did not have the lousy harmonics that really bugged me at highway speeds. They produce a nice Harley sound all through the RPM range but I wanted something a little louder and deeper. I got a pair of the Big City Thunder baffles for the SE II's and they made all the difference - sweet and deep sound at all ranges and I get lots of compliments from BT guys that don't have the great sound this combination produces. I like early morning rides so I went back to the SE II baffles a couple of months ago in defference to my neighbors and some local LEO's that are starting to crack down. The baffle swap takes maybe 10 minutes and I'm sure the BCT's will go back in at some point, but for the time being I'm running the SE II baffles to keep the peace with those who live around me.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i had rinehart slip ons on my 08 streetglide. when building it to a 103" i sold the rineharts and went with a vance & hines 2 into 1 pro pipe. she howls now whereas before it sounded like everyone else's harley. it's got a real healthy exhaust sound, i know a lot of it is the 10.5 compression ratio and .579" lift cams, but i'm sure that even on a stock motor, the pro pipe would wake up the sound to a hard to describe, but meaty sound. just as a harley should sound. i'm sold on 2 into 1's just because they work great and sound even better.