Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD swingarm bag issues; help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 PM
hOtroDD77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HD swingarm bag issues; help needed

So I decided to start a thread about this. I posted in another, but figured more would come across it this way. Can you guys who have these bags installed offer me some ideas/advice. I bought and installed this bag a week or so ago, it's pretty straight forward. Got on the bike for a ride and as soon as I got on the road I noticed a problem. When I went to brake at the end of my street I got this horrible shutter, couldn't figure out what it was. Going over any little road bumps, etc I was getting almost a wobbly feeling from the rear. I turned around to go home and it didn't stop; tried to see if it made a difference between the front/rear brake; it did not. Anyway, I figured since the only thing different between this ride and my last was the bag so I took it off. Come to find out it was the swing arm banging on the bag's bracket where it bolts to the brake line clamp. I have these pictures so you can get an orientation of where they're contacting each other. I know I'm no ratard; I don't get it. Any ideas?? Looks like I'm going to have to file down that area of the bracket and/or add another washer to space it out a bit. Can't figure out if I did something wrong, but like you all know, it's a pretty simple installhe photos are after the bracket was removed obviously.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

Today I filed the bracket down a bit where it was making contact and I added another washer on the back side of the bracket to space it out a bit; still making some contact. I'm at a loss here. I know a lot of folks have these with no issues.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 PM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

that clamp goes on the swing arm, not where you have it

check the instructions again

Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 PM
hOtroDD77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
that clamp goes on the swing arm, not where you have it

check the instructions again
The clamp in that picture is the brake line clamp, it's just to show where the bracket was making contact(you can see the chunk of paint that was taken off). Bracket isn't on in those pics. Here it is on the bike. The backside of the bracket inside the yellow circle is is where it's hitting

Last edited by hOtroDD77; 10-19-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:09 AM
laffin gas
Tourer

i just installed one....no issues here....do you have the support clamp on the upper tube also?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:21 AM
hOtroDD77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by laffin gas
i just installed one....no issues here....do you have the support clamp on the upper tube also?
Yeah, have the clamp also. I don't know what the deal is. It's installed correctly(I don't see a way someone could mess the install up). Driving me nuts that I can't get this thing to work; it doesn't make sense.