Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, this chaps my hide, Street bike with a sixth gear.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Trusten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, this chaps my hide, Street bike with a sixth gear.

OK, I might just be splitting hairs here. But, it still chaps my hide.
I got the email about the new Street 500's and 750's, took a look, as most of us, I was curious. People on here have been prophesizing this new, smaller bike for months and months now, so my curiosity was stirred.

So, reading through it, I read the new Street bike has a sixth gear. Now hold up a minute. HD will not give us a sixth gear on Sportsters, but the new Streets get it.

Sure, I may not NEED a sixth gear, but that doesn't mean I don't WANT it!
And I am not going DOWN in cubic inches from my 1200C. Plus, the Street is much smaller, and lower. Fine for some, but at 6'2" and 230-something, I'd look like a bear on a skateboard on the Streets.

Anyway, just ranting, jealous over a sixth gear on a bike I don't want.

Having said that, should my lotto numbers ever hit, yes, I too will buy one, and a fatbob, and a fatboy, and street glide, etc. just 'cause I can.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

The 5-speed Sporty was design in the late '80s, when having a 5th gear WAS a big deal. I'm sure if they designed it today, it might have a six-speed. Hell, they just recently got around to putting them on the big twin.

They really don't need a 6th gear as is anyways, and most don't have the power to run one efficiently.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Trusten
Tourer
Default I now, but still

Yes sir, you're correct. I don't need a sixth gear. And, I defer to your superior knowledge of motorcycles. I have read numerous responses by you on other threads, and your wealth of knowledge is pretty amazing. Not joshing around, I'm serious. You know your motorcycles, Sporties especially.

I guess the smaller 500 and 750 Streets coming out may need that sixth, and be geared up for it to be able to handle highway speeds without overstressing the engine. That sound plausible? I mean they are mainly designed for inner city commutes from what I see. But, might need that sixth gear for sustained higher speeds? Sound right?

Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they would have put a 5 speed in it the top gear would be the same as the 6 gear they put in it. They just added another gear for closer shift points to keep the engine near peak power band rpms for varying city speeds from 20-45.

The 6th gear is not going to be a 1:1 on the highway for long distance cruising.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Trusten
Yes sir, you're correct. I don't need a sixth gear. And, I defer to your superior knowledge of motorcycles. I have read numerous responses by you on other threads, and your wealth of knowledge is pretty amazing. Not joshing around, I'm serious. You know your motorcycles, Sporties especially.
Thank you. That is very humbling.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

HD's 6 speed's are 1 to 1 in 6th gear just as the 5 speeds were. It is not an overdrive gear. For the big twins HD makes a SE 6 speed with a 6th gear ratio of 0.89 to one making the 6th gear a true over drive. The first five gears are an exact match to the old five speed. That is if you want to spend about seven grand for one.

6th speeds in a Sporty would be a great idea as the final drive would be the same but the closer spacing of the other 5 would get the bike ripping down the road quicker.

The only stock Sportster that I know of that can red line at 7,000 rpm in 5th gear at 125 mph is the XR1200. It uses the front 24 tooth 883 sprocket. I'm thinking of putting a 24 tooth front sprocket in the XL1200. Not for the increased acceleration but to have the engine running smoother at 60 mph. With the 28 tooth front sprocket it needs to go over 70 to be smooth.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-06-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:00 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Trusten
OK, I might just be splitting hairs here. But, it still chaps my hide.
I got the email about the new Street 500's and 750's, took a look, as most of us, I was curious. People on here have been prophesizing this new, smaller bike for months and months now, so my curiosity was stirred.

So, reading through it, I read the new Street bike has a sixth gear. Now hold up a minute. HD will not give us a sixth gear on Sportsters, but the new Streets get it.

Sure, I may not NEED a sixth gear, but that doesn't mean I don't WANT it!
And I am not going DOWN in cubic inches from my 1200C. Plus, the Street is much smaller, and lower. Fine for some, but at 6'2" and 230-something, I'd look like a bear on a skateboard on the Streets.

Anyway, just ranting, jealous over a sixth gear on a bike I don't want.

Having said that, should my lotto numbers ever hit, yes, I too will buy one, and a fatbob, and a fatboy, and street glide, etc. just 'cause I can.
A high torque low HP engine like the sporty engine does not need a sixth gear because it produces power from just off idle to the red line somewhere around 5500 RPM. In fact it works better with more of a gear spread. On the other hand with an engine that has a narrower power band (produces more HP than torque) keeping the engine in it's power band is more important. For instance Kawasaki's 650cc parallel twin produces slightly more power than the 1200cc Sportster engine but does not produce it evenly through the power band like the HD motor so it is much more important to keep an engine like this in the right gear. The Kawi motor needs to be keep between 6000 and 10000 RPM to make its power which mean more gear shifting is required.

Last edited by fat_tony; 11-07-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:57 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Commentary removed because I'm a dumba$$; 'brain not aligned with fingers this morning

=8^)

Last edited by DrewBone; 11-07-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

There are several aspects to discuss here! The 6-speed big twins have the extra gear to help them meet EPA noise regulations. That is also probably why the MoCo went to twincams, from the old single gear Evo cam. By lowering engine speed, at the road speeds those EPA tests are done at, helps us continue to buy big twins.

Sportys used to have 4-speeds and the 5-speeds were probably introduced for the same reason as above. It seems they can still meet EPA regs as they are, in other words there is no need to add a sixth.

Turning to the new piglets, as someone has suggested we name them, we know they have less torque than the pushrod engines, so a good reason for the extra gear is to enable them to use their higher rev range more readily, to give them decent performance.

That's my take, for what it's worth!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

I put a six speed in my Dyna and it was a waste of money and I got a good deal, I like having it, but dropping the R's by 500 in top gear did not make that much of a difference!

Quick Reply: OK, this chaps my hide, Street bike with a sixth gear.