Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
I like the split tank look with chrome. Is that a harley product or aftermarket? I think the last time I looked which was a while ago, the chrome piece was like $125
Yep, that's the Harley one. Remember you have to get the matching gas cap for it too, not any old gas cap works.

If you get it, do a test fit with little bits of masking tape with it laying on the tank with the gas cap screwed on. It doesn't come with the cardboard shim that sits in the gas filler thing to line everything up. Trust me, it's a bitch to line it all up. That little breather slot in the cap and that stipe helps a lot too.

Last edited by Curt1953; 07-02-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:18 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt1953
Yep, that's the Harley one. Remember you have to get the matching gas cap for it too, not any old gas cap works.

If you get it, do a test fit with little bits of masking tape with it laying on the tank with the gas cap screwed on. It doesn't come with the cardboard shim that sits in the gas filler thing to line everything up. Trust me, it's a bitch to line it all up. That little breather slot in the cap and that stipe helps a lot too.
Matching?....Does it fit with any "Harley" gas cap? I have a locking Harley gas cap, not the stock ones.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GMRO
thank you!
Yep! SLV gave a good rundown! It is quite different on the older sporty's so I didn't want to go into it much. Glad there is someone on here that has one on the new fangled sporty's!

Mine was not that different other than I had to bust into the harness and run a new one. The older sporty's have "mostly" a hard-wired speedo. The main being the speed sensor, then the tach output to your turn signal module, ground, keyed power, constant power etc... These you will have to cut on the old sporty's harness and solder the wires together at the new speedo. Then as my wires are all tucked, I removed my tank to run the new speed sensor harness under the tank to the connector under the seat. I supposed this could be done without removing the tank, but all my wires are tucked under the tank relief so likewise I wanted to keep it clean.

The dang thing has great instructions. But as I said in my video, you better have a manual for all your wire codes at least on the older sporty's.

I don't consider it pricy at all since I needed a new speedo anyway. And rebuilding the bike gave me a good chance to do it the way I wanted. The dang thing looks sharp as hell, very fun to work with, easy to install and looks like a fine piece of machinery. I think they did a great job with this thing. As said, it does tons of stuff, most of which I have turned off because I don't need the performance functions.

Next, a La Pera gold metal flake seat!

Old 07-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Matching?....Does it fit with any "Harley" gas cap? I have a locking Harley gas cap, not the stock ones.

Thanks for the heads up.
If your Sporty had that gas tank strip, you need the cap that came with it. No, it doesn't work with any Sporty cap.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:44 AM
dmarion
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raining all week here in the Southeast so I did a little maintenance, checked the brakes. Decided to flip the mirrors over and drop the belt guard off.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Put the quiet baffles back in my short shots. They've been in and out like fiddlers elbow. I really should make my mind up...

Old 07-03-2015, 03:27 PM
badbowtie99
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac
Played with my new speedo on the ole '96...

I was lookin at some of these does it seem to work pretty well? It's just plug and play right?

Old 07-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by badbowtie99
I was lookin at some of these does it seem to work pretty well? It's just plug and play right?
One page back SLV gave a great review. I did as well. It works very well. His review was on the newer sporty's. Mine old school. Newer sporty's are plug and play. Older sporty's require a bit more, but nothing that can't be done in an afternoon.

Dang nice speedo.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:10 PM
RoyRules
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to a local custom shop in Louisville KY today and talked to them about a 180 tire conversion... No matter what, this is gonna be an expensive 30mm change. Eek.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:02 AM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Put new grips on the bike. The ones that were on it were the originals from 07, and beat to all hell. New soft foam rubber ones feel nice on the hands! My first REAL mod, as I had to take things apart and put them back together-to include removing the air filter. Got it done in less than an hour. And, of course, had to take it around the block, to see how it felt. 30 miles later, I decided it felt great. Funny how "around the block" translates into a half hour ride

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?