Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Old 02-14-2016, 12:20 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

No tie-downs? My bike almost fell on me last time I didn't strap it down on the lift.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:29 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
No tie-downs? My bike almost fell on me last time I didn't strap it down on the lift.
"" accepted

i'm totally that guy who yells about people not doing tie downs. it is stable as a rock(see below) but, i will be putting tie downs on and floor jacks under it later today when i start digging in. my hft lift has always been solid under my sporty. the dyna is a nightmare on this thing. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post14771433

pitbull will need to be bought for the dyna. it's scary bad on the hft lift. i really blame harley though. they really need to do something about the under side of the dyna frames. if you look closely at the photo below, you can see the damage the dyna did to the hft lift. 1500lbs my a**.

Originally Posted by hscic

When/if you get a chance, could you take a pic under your bike where the platform sits on the frame. I never was able to get the platform flat and sturdy. Thanks
my lift has been "SClonghair" modifed to accept my dyna (oil pan clearance: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ification.html). shown in red

i'll add a better picture later when i pull it back off the wall to dig back into it.

Last edited by cvaria; 02-14-2016 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:35 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
"" accepted

i'm totally that guy who yells about people not doing tie downs. it is stable as a rock(see below) but, i will be putting tie downs on and floor jacks under it later today when i start digging in. my hft lift has always been solid under my sporty. the dyna is a nightmare on this thing. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post14771433

pitbull will need to be bought for the dyna. it's scary bad on the hft lift. i really blame harley though. they really need to do something about the under side of the dyna frames. if you look closely at the photo below, you can see the damage the dyna did to the hft lift. 1500lbs my a**.

my lift has been "SClonghair" modifed to accept my dyna (oil pan clearance: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ification.html). shown in red

i'll add a better picture later when i pull it back off the wall to dig back into it.

Nice write-up on modding the lift. Is your lift a harbor freight or sears craftsman red motocycle lift? Since you indicated your sporty sits solid on the lift, mind telling me which model lift you have? I am geting one.

I am currently using a low profile floor jack and lift the bike one side at a time depending on what I am working on.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2016, 09:52 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hscic
Nice write-up on modding the lift. Is your lift a harbor freight or sears craftsman red motocycle lift? Since you indicated your sporty sits solid on the lift, mind telling me which model lift you have? I am geting one.

I am currently using a low profile floor jack and lift the bike one side at a time depending on what I am working on.

Thanks

It is an hft lift (hft knockoff of sears style) and i wouldn't tell anyone to do the mod. I've regretted doing it since i heard the the center connection pipe from the lift pad hit the floor over the sound of my reciprocating saw. Was the sound of no retreat/no surrender.

For the sporty, The hft lift was/is fine in stock format. It now does not get caught up on the little kickstand bumper and sits squarely in the middle of the lift pads. The problem is that the support beam had to be cut. So now the load of bikes going on the lift is spead over 4 grade 8 6" bolts. Each pad is now independent of the other in terms of weight distribution. That's not a problem for the near perfect sportster balance...people undervalue the years of engineering and design perfection present there. The dyna is a completely different story. Looking back, i would have rather used 2 19-20" grade 8 bolts or weld a longer cross member back on.

The result under my dyna was a flexing lift. It scares the fk out of me to put that beast on this little lift. It gets floor jacks and tiedowns by default. I said pitbull lift earlier but what i meant was j&s (was 3 am) for the dyna. Its just to long and too heavy.

Last edited by cvaria; 02-14-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:54 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

It is an hft lift (hft knockoff of sears style) and i wouldn't tell anyone to do the mod. I've regretted doing it since i heard the the center connection pipe from the lift pad hit the floor over the sound of my reciprocating saw. Was the sound of no retreat/no surrender.

For the sporty, The hft lift was/is fine in stock format. It now does not get caught up on the little kickstand bumper and sits squarely in the middle of the lift pads. The problem is that the support beam had to be cut. So now the load of bikes going on the lift is spead over 4 grade 8 6" bolts. Each pad is now independent of the other in terms of weight distribution. That's not a problem for the near perfect sportster balance...people undervalue the years of engineering and design perfection present there. The dyna is a completely different story. Looking back, i would have rather used 2 19-20" grade 8 bolts or weld a longer cross member back on.

The result under my dyna was a flexing lift. It scares the fk out of me to put that beast on this little lift. It gets floor jacks and tiedowns by default. I said pitbull lift earlier but what i meant was j&s (was 3 am) for the dyna. Its just to long and too heavy.
So the harbor freight/sears lift misses the sporty kickstand stopper/bumper? That is what use to screw up the position of the lift I had...so got rid of it. Of course, could have just taken off the bumper...duh...lol

Old 02-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Worked on the rust and corrosion

My 1200 is 4 years old with 2900 miles on it. Most boltheads are oxidized, there's rust aplenty at frame joints and the mag wheels are oxidizing at an alarming rate. But I got ahead of it today with Silicon spray, Mother's Chrome Polish, Simple Green, a ton of paper towels, some toothbrushes and bruises all over my hands.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Installed a Dyna fork brace on the 1200T. The T has a wider fork than the other sportsters and H-D does not make a brace for it. At least stand alone if you buy the sliders that have the bosses to bolt the brace for the 48 on it.

Anyway they are the same CL as the Dyna but smaller diameter. I measured the gap and it came to 142 thousandth. So I bought a 125 thousandth aluminum bar stock sanded it down with two changes of grit and a final polishing with 0000 steel wool. Shaped it around a steel pipe that I had that was close in dia.

It fit like a glove.

The fork brace that I got for the T before I found out it wouldn't fit had the same CL measurement as the Street 750 but then the 750 was .030 smaller diameter. Well street signs are .030. So I cut some strips off of a convenient sign and they did the trick.

Just love to make stuff for my bikes.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:21 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Angry

hfsm and smart siren install

if dealer offers this, you take it.. you don't want to do this install

Last edited by cvaria; 02-15-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:45 AM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hfsm and smart siren install

if dealer offers this, you take it.. you don't want to do this install
It wasn't too bad on my 2014 model.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Today I was going to install my right side passenger peg bracket.

But then I realized I would have to take off my heat shields, both pipes, the pulley guard, and the pipes lower bracket. Not feelin it right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?